I'm a .....

Soldato
I'm out down towards Finchampstead way. Much nicer here than the centre of Reading where some of the locals are quite 'interesting'.

Yes its nice round there; we used to live behind Sandmartins golf course for 25 years, born and bred there and enjoyed growing up in that area. My mum moved closer to town because my sister went to the Holt but I moved to Reading TC as its only 25 mins to central london, plus my wife doesnt drive so its convenient.

Soldato
Daft question but how is giving young offenders a really good reason to scope out a neighbourhood a good idea.

Wherever the OP is from it sounds like the people how run the CS are seriously retarded. Around here they help to maintain Churches and public parks by cutting the grass/trimming the bushes etc.. Going door to door and getting acquainted with a area is not a good sign at all because let's be honest most of these people will re-offend again.

Soldato
Door to door isn't suitable for people with criminal records to get involved in, far to many prospects for theft/abuse/taking advantage.

With our re-offender rates as high as they are it's a stupid idea to begin with, they should be getting them into work in the community, or work involving in helping people (indirectly if they are vulnerable).

Soldato
pretty sure the story isn't true, they all say that, it's just a con.. so don't feel guilty.

(I might be wrong of course, but I still wouldn't feel guilty for not buying overpriced goods)

but for example, from the cheshire probation service:

http://www.cheshireprobation.org.uk/
Hoax Callers

There have been a number of complaints from local residents of ex-offenders selling products door to door. They claim to be working on a Probation-approved doorstep selling scheme. Please note that the Probation Service does not involve offenders in any type of doorstep scheme. Our advice is not to buy goods from these people. If you are targeted by someone saying they are part of this scheme, politely refuse the business and advise the Police by ringing the Police Non-Emergency number 101. A press release has been issued to all local newspapers. Click here to view the release.

If there were such a scheme I'm sure we would be able to find some actual concrete information about it from google instead of people just talking about it. Have you ever heard of anyone who knows anyone involved in this scheme legitimately?

and another one
http://www.surreysussexprobation.go...es__2011__/beware_door-to-door_sales_callers/
and one from your own county
http://padworthparish.org.uk/thames-valley-police-community-messaging-west-berks-f033712/

Last edited:
Soldato
I had the exact same thing a few months ago. I like in Wokingham, too. I told the kid who knocked that I never have any cash in the house. Wonder if it was the same dude. He was rather...jumpy.

Associate
What part of Reading was that in mate? I don't want people like that knocking on the door when my wife is at home alone.

One of these knocked while my GF was at home alone with kids. he wanted his "magazine" back that he posted through (just thought it was random crap with post so threw it out)

i had already told him the week before i'd thrown it out and he complained and i just told him where to go.

but then he knocked again and my GF said sorry my BF said last week we threw the magazine out by accident. apparantly he just stood and stared at her and said well can you go and get it?!!. she closed the door saying sorry and locked it as he was getting creep / scary.

i was at work at the time and her dad was on his way round at the time, she rang him and told him what had happened. he walked through door and just said dont worry i've had a chat with him. he wont be coming here for a long time.

still dont know what he said or did. but we haven't heard from him since. been about a month and half now. her dads the man who (when she got assaulted by an asian fella a long while back) went round in the car getting out and threatening every asain man within 3 miles of her house so im assuming he had more than just a chat with him XD

Soldato
her dads the man who (when she got assaulted by an asian fella a long while back) went round in the car getting out and threatening every asain man within 3 miles of her house so im assuming he had more than just a chat with him XD

Her dad sounds worse! (Don't tell him I said that.)

Soldato
OP
Googling "ex offenders door to door berkshire" seems to come up with a few hits. There are a couple of links to Parish Councils with a reference of F033712.

Can't search the Thames Valley Police community alert system though.

TVP said:
http://padworthparish.org.uk/thames-valley-police-community-messaging-west-berks-f033712/

We have had a number of calls regarding cold callers who state they are ex-offenders knocking on doors trying to sell household items.

We would like your help in providing the police with information should you have had or have a call from one of these persons.

Please phone the Police Enquiry Centre on 101 and state you are responding to a Ringmaster message and provide information on the location, any description of the person calling and any vehicle that may be connected to the person.

Associate
my mother had one a few months back in Lincolnshire, now we know it's not a legit thing I'll let her know to refuse and ignore. I did answer the door to some jehovahs a couple of years back, was a bit flustered as one of the girls was seriously hot, and when asked if I'd like them to come back it really did cross my mind to say yes haha.

Soldato
OP, why do you care?

You weren't interested in that price, you politely said so and apologised. That does not warrant him calling you a ****.

You do not owe him anything.

Soldato
still dont know what he said or did. but we haven't heard from him since. been about a month and half now. her dads the man who (when she got assaulted by an asian fella a long while back) went round in the car getting out and threatening every asain man within 3 miles of her house so im assuming he had more than just a chat with him XD

Is that supposed to impress us? It doesn't make her Dad sound very good at all tbh.

Back
Top Bottom