I'm giving up on motorways

Associate
I've never been one to get that bothered by poor lane discipline.

Until now.

My new commute involves J3 > J1 of the M3 (and back again) and oh my GOD how hard is it to stay left unless you're overtaking? Every journey. Every damn journey I will be chilling in lane 1 or 2 (passing something if I'm in lane 2, obvs) and I'll be passing people in lanes 3 and 4 who are just dribbling along completely oblivious. I don't even go that fast. 65-70mph most of the time.

The more lanes you give people, the more room for stupid there is.
I really like it when the outside lane grinds to a standstill thanks to all the idiots trying to make a last gasp cut in at J2.

Doing a long distance drive to and from the north last week using the A1, something became more apparent to me and that is how speed cameras are just another hazard that you need to watch out for. This means staring at the speedometer more constantly and that decreases the time looking at the road.

Speeding can be a hazard, but not so much if the driver is aware of the surrounding traffic and gives plenty of space to the car in front who is doing the speed limit and is overtaking. Also because a lot of people in the fast lane have the mental attitude of a *** thinking "I WANT MOAR SPEED NOW, GET OUT MY WAY!" rather than actually using their brains for intelligent thought. Blaming speeding is just oversimplifying by a long way, not fixing the issue. More police would be a good start, along with actually making tailgating illegal.

Soldato
"something became more apparent to me and that is how speed cameras are just another hazard that you need to watch out for. This means staring at the speedometer more constantly and that decreases the time looking at the road."
what an utter load of ****. if that's the way you drive you shouldn't be on the roads.

Permabanned
I've gotten into the habit (behaviour, not clothing) of just sitting in lane 1 on cruise control in heavy traffic, make about the same progress as everyone else but far less stress. There's still enough people that think they can go faster if they go in the fast lane that it works out.

I do this, much more relaxing than the outside lane bellends sitting bumper to bumper hoping to get a meter ahead.

Soldato
"something became more apparent to me and that is how speed cameras are just another hazard that you need to watch out for. This means staring at the speedometer more constantly and that decreases the time looking at the road."
what an utter load of ****. if that's the way you drive you shouldn't be on the roads.

In certain circumstances, I kind of agree - average speed checks in roadwork zones for one. The lanes are narrower, the lane markings are harder to determine, the hard shoulder is not available, there's a workforce in the road and traffic tends to be much more bunched up with very little speed differential. This is an environment where you want everyone to be fully focused on the road, not worrying about their precise speed. I tend to try and use cruise control in these areas, but I've lost count of the amount of near-misses I've witnessed from drivers veering slightly off course, evidently not concentrating entirely on the road, and I can only imagine it's because they are worrying constantly about not breaking the limit. Unfortunately, average speed cameras are about the only way to ensure traffic slows down for the entire length of the roadworks, so they're necessary for the safety of the workers.

Soldato
My Mrs was just telling me about an article (I'm not linking it as its daily mail:D). About some people that had died due to a lorry crashing into them when they were on the hard should/lane 1 of a smart motorway. That's my biggest worry, it seems a very short sighted approach to solving the problem.

Soldato
My Mrs was just telling me about an article (I'm not linking it as its daily mail:D). About some people that had died due to a lorry crashing into them when they were on the hard should/lane 1 of a smart motorway. That's my biggest worry, it seems a very short sighted approach to solving the problem.

Since November 2015, all HGVs registered in the EU require automatic emergency braking. The average age of a HGV in the UK is 7.5 years. So already about 30% of HGVs out there will have it, not accounting for those that did before it was mandatory. The Daily Fail were probably joining the recent bandwagon of demonising truck drivers when they posted that one, but this is already a solved problem.

The risk of being rear-ended by a distracted/sleeping HVG is not a lot lower yet, I admit, but it's not something I worry about and it's quickly going to become a non-issue.

Soldato
I've gotten into the habit (behaviour, not clothing) of just sitting in lane 1 on cruise control in heavy traffic, make about the same progress as everyone else but far less stress. There's still enough people that think they can go faster if they go in the fast lane that it works out.

I do this, much more relaxing than the outside lane bellends sitting bumper to bumper hoping to get a meter ahead.

Same, on the M25 on the southern section between the M23 and M26 I can often have my own private lane in lane 1. Even in busy times. I used to drive that same road once a week for work, I'd overtake 40+ cars just by sitting in lane 1 for 80% of the time.

This isn't me, but this is pretty much what it's like all the time.

Soldato
Since November 2015, all HGVs registered in the EU require automatic emergency braking. The average age of a HGV in the UK is 7.5 years. So already about 30% of HGVs out there will have it, not accounting for those that did before it was mandatory. The Daily Fail were probably joining the recent bandwagon of demonising truck drivers when they posted that one, but this is already a solved problem.

The risk of being rear-ended by a distracted/sleeping HVG is not a lot lower yet, I admit, but it's not something I worry about and it's quickly going to become a non-issue.
I hate to point out that even with emergency braking, a wagon is not going to stop that quickly.

Soldato
I hate to point out that even with emergency braking, a wagon is not going to stop that quickly.
Have you ever seen any videos of automatic emergency braking in action? Whilst I'm aware it cannot change the laws of physics, it's staggering just how quickly a truck can actually come to a halt.

Indeed. Some of the videos are astonishing, they actually do look like they defy physics.

And here's a video showing the system in the real world, averting what would almost certainly have been a fatal accident.

Soldato
Indeed. Some of the videos are astonishing, they actually do look like they defy physics.

And here's a video showing the system in the real world, averting what would almost certainly have been a fatal accident.
Ok wow, i stand corrected, whats the range then as i thought they only 'scanned' a few metres in front of the vehicle? I agree watching those videos it must be applying some serious g forces to the cab and driver. I was under the impression that from 56 mph, a truck would take many metres to slow down.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Shock as car with similar power and weight performs like another car. Just wait till it rolls on a corner:p, thats always been my biggest gripe with them, too much body roll.
TBH there isn't a significant amount of body roll on the SQ2. It rides surprisingly well as well, even on 19s. Impressive, if rather pointless, car.

Soldato
Same, on the M25 on the southern section between the M23 and M26 I can often have my own private lane in lane 1. Even in busy times. I used to drive that same road once a week for work, I'd overtake 40+ cars just by sitting in lane 1 for 80% of the time.

This isn't me, but this is pretty much what it's like all the time.

The motorway working in reverse. Welcome to the modern day UK.

Man of Honour
Lot of people just stick in their lane on the M25 - when it gets busier it actually isn't very practical moving over.

What I usually see on there is some lad (I suspect son of some rich foreigner type) in a Porsche or similar weaving in and out of traffic at high speed while everyone else is sedately going along at 50 MPH or whatever the variable speed happens to be.

Soldato
TBH there isn't a significant amount of body roll on the SQ2. It rides surprisingly well as well, even on 19s. Impressive, if rather pointless, car.
It's going to roll more than a 'normal' car though just due to the higher COG. I personally dont see the point in suvs for most people (although quite common for the older generation to buy them as they are easier to get in and out of). I have many times passed people on the motorway at the are oblivious to what's happening to the right (or left) of them.

Back
Top Bottom