Im going skiing - what do i need?

Associate
I'm off to Bulgaria next month with a few pals skiing. Never been before so not sure what to expect but also not sure what clothing i need to take or buy before we go. I'll be hiring skis out there, can anyone advise what i'll need to get before i go? I've heard TK Maxx is alright for ski clothing, is this right?

Man of Honour
As long as you stick to decent brands TK Maxx should be fine for ski clothing. You will need some sort of eye protection, whether that be goggles or sunglasses is up to you but goggles are more useful if the weather is bad. You need decent gloves or mitts and remember that layering is your friend in clothing terms, it is better to be able to take off a couple of layers than being too cold with nothing you can put on.

Man of Honour
I'm off to Bulgaria next month with a few pals skiing. Never been before so not sure what to expect but also not sure what clothing i need to take or buy before we go. I'll be hiring skis out there, can anyone advise what i'll need to get before i go? I've heard TK Maxx is alright for ski clothing, is this right?

Tk Maxx can be very good, particularly if you're not sure if you're going to love it (you will though) and want to get gear on a budget.

Don't be tempted to buy a heavily insultated down jacket, you want to control your heat with layers. So you need waterproof and breathable jacket and trousers. Make sure the jacket has a snow skirt (this is an elasticated bit that clings to you stopping any snow getting in if you fall.)

Make sure all your gear wicks sweat away from your skin, no better way to ruin your day than getting hot, sweating and then letting that sweat sit on your skin to cool when you stop exercising.

You need a couple of sets of wicking base layers. You will need a fleece or similar for extra warmth when it's cold. (you will be surprised how much of the time you don't need this layer.)

You will need ski gloves. Goggles. Ski socks - few pairs.

Enjoy and it's not too late to change to snowbording:p

Man of Honour
As long as you stick to decent brands TK Maxx should be fine for ski clothing. You will need some sort of eye protection, whether that be goggles or sunglasses is up to you but goggles are more useful if the weather is bad. You need decent gloves or mitts and remember that layering is your friend in clothing terms, it is better to be able to take off a couple of layers than being too cold with nothing you can put on.

only spanners wear sunglasses;) goggles whatever the weather

Associate
I'm going ski-ing next month to the Pyrenees in France. We bought most of our gear over there already because it's dirt cheap. But I just noticed Aldi were selling ski stuff the other night and I picked up a pair of sunglasses with different lenses for £3.50. I'm not sure what would be better - googles or glasses, but for that price I can try out both :)

They had a lot of other stuff such as saline solution hand warmers, thick socks, hats & gloves etc. While I'd be a bit cautious buying the clothing from Aldi in general you can't go wrong with socks, hand warmers and glasses

Soldato
You want a hat (beanie) ignore hand warmers unless you have shockingly bad gloves. Glasses are for when it is sunny and you need a darker tint than your goggles provide as you should only really need light tint lenses for that as you wear it when the wearther is poor more often than not. You want wrap around glasses as otherwise you will find the air flows around and over them and directly into your eyes making them fairly pointless.

Yellow/orange/pink/blue are general tints used in vaired low light levels, it will produce a different contrast on the snow so you can see better. Personally I find pink/blue lenses on my goggles give the best results for low level/flat light. Whilst a good pair of sunglasses is perfect when its nice and sunny and you just want to darken the snow.

Enjoy yourself!

Caporegime
You need:

1) Warm t-shirt as a baselayer. Fleece as a second layer. Warm, waterproof and breathable (at least 5000/5000) ski jacket as a top layer. Dare2be are a good budget brand, and I know TK Maxx stock them.

2) Salopettes with shoulder straps, much better at keeping out snow than strapless pants.

3) A few pairs of warm ski socks.

4) A hat that covers the ears.

5) A very warm and fully waterproof pair of gloves, MUST be Gore-Tex.

6) Goggles, not sunglasses. This is very important to protect your eyes and ensure wind does not cause your eyes to water at speed, which can be lethal.

7) A warm paid of snow boots for getting up and down snowy paths and apres ski.

That'll see you covered. :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
6) Goggles, not sunglasses. This is very important to protect your eyes and ensure wind does not cause your eyes to water at speed, which can be lethal.

While I'd largely agree with the rest I've got to disagree with this, you do not always need goggles, a pair of sunglasses that fit well and offer the correct UVA/UVB etc protection are fine. Or to put it this way I've been skiing/snowboarding for over 2/3 of my life now and I've used goggles much less frequently than I've used sunglasses.

//edit I've not heard of Big Air before so I can't really comment fairly but I've got my suspicions that they were never actually sold for £49.99. Smith, Oakley, Bolle, Dragon, Project Rudy, Adidas etc all make decent goggles though, you'd struggle to go wrong with a pair from any of those manufacturers.

Last edited:
Soldato
While I'd largely agree with the rest I've got to disagree with this, you do not always need goggles, a pair of sunglasses that fit well and offer the correct UVA/UVB etc protection are fine. Or to put it this way I've been skiing/snowboarding for over 2/3 of my life now and I've used goggles much less frequently than I've used sunglasses.

Depends what kind of Skiing you are doing really.
If you are just cruising between restaurants all day, then sunglasses are all you ever need.

If you are going to be riding park or taking face shots from fresh powder, you wouldn't want to be wearing anything other than goggles.

Caporegime
Anyone recommend a shop and type for goggles?

Just ran a quick search and found these, any good?
http://www.skiwear4less.com/acatalog/Camo_Goggle.html

They have 2 lenses, mirror & double yellow. I'd like to be able to use goggles in sunny & cloudy weather without buying 2 pairs?

These are good http://stores.ebay.co.uk/rayzorinte...oggles_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ5Q***idZ2QQtZkm

I've been skiing since I was knee high to a grasshopper and have tried all forms of eye proteciton, sunglasses have never done the job while travelling down a slope at 50mph. Goggles only for the serious skiier, but that's just my opinion. :)

I'd recommend one of them retractable ski pass thingys that you attach to your jacket so its easy to scan in onto the lifts etc!

Essential, can't believe I forgot to list that, i'd be lost without them. :D

Associate
scarf is useful too. and helmet if you are beginner, but then again im gonna buy one next season anyway cause of all the drunken idiots/retards on the slopes

Capodecina
Soldato
Lots of good recommendations here. All I would say is take your time getting the fit of your boots right and if they don't fit, take them back at the end of the first day - the fit of your boots is incredibly important to your comfort, the warmth of your feet and control of your skis.

I have skied for years and have never got "just the right" eyewear. If it is bright(ish) and isn't snowing, I wear sunglasses. I only wear goggles if it is snowing or is overcast and there is no contrast on the surface of the snow. Don't, EVER, EVER ski without some form of eye protection, it really is 100% essential.

I wear salopettes from Tchibo, they are fine. I own and use good quality (merino wool) thermal underwear, technical T-shirts and a couple of good quality fleeces, beanies and long socks. I use a pair of expensive gloves and use merino inners if it is really cold - I have two pairs, one for before and one for after lunch. As has been pointed out frequently above, "layering is your flexible friend".

If you haven't bought a lift-pass as part of your package, for God's sake don't forget to allow for the cost - I did the first time I went skiing and ended up almost broke :(

Personally, I would always recommend that you have lessons when you first go skiing - if you don't, even if friends show you the ropes, you are likely to end up feeling frustrated and not enjoying the holiday. Try not to drink alcohol on the mountain, do drink lots of water and despite the very real temptations, try to avoid getting a hangover ;)

I hope you enjoy your skiing, it is an absolutely fantastic (even if VERY expensive) sport - I would absolutely love to do a full season.

Back
Top Bottom