I'm going to die if I don't find a monitor soon!

Associate
OP
Ahh crap! Wrong image! Sorry! Here tis -

Photo0297.jpg

Not a great one, but check the blacks. This is without tweaks. Just on Game mode.

Incidently, where the blue radiates is where the blob of backlight bleed occurs.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'm quite happy so far. I haven't noticed any dead pixels, although I've not had the chance to see against a white screen an I really can't be bothered to plug it into the PC. I just tried the headphone jack which was AWFUL. No static, that I could hear, although I had to turn the volume up to 100, an increase the in-line volume of the headset to get a OK-ish volume to listen to. The audio was very tinny from the headphone jack. It renders it completely useless. What's your audio port like?

As for colours, backlight bleed, response. All good so far. Speakers are mmmm, adequate, bit tinny, pretty much no base, but will suffice. No distortion, yet. Which is good. I'm sure GT5 will put it through it's paces.

In terms of backlight. I think I have the first ever panel in the universe which has... none. Well, at least on the standard and game setting.

Any descriptions for your audio HP quality/volume, the speakers bass depth, backlight bleed, what setting etc. Just so I can get to grips with what's similar and if there are any differences.

So far, quite happy. Slight warping in the frame on the bezel, which does funny rippling to reflections, but I don't know if that effects all of them or not. lol

It appears, labelling sticker/fabric/sheet thing which overlays the ports and has the names of the ports written on is, unstuck, not stuck down properly, of simply... that way, an then of course the worst stand in history. By no means did a machine make it. A human did, with wonky eyes. LOL. Things facing off by about 20 degrees. It's mental lol.

I'ma check some blue rays out. Responsiveness is quite good. Not noticed any ghosting yet. The ZA.BEKWLJP means I Have IPS right?

Thx btw

Soldato
I just tried out the headphone jack and got some interesting results. First I plugged in my primary headphones - (sennheiser RS130) which are powered and do their own amplification (with the use of a base station). I turned the volume up to 90 (as I always do with these headphones and sound sources) and it sounded great off the TV - no distrotion or crackling, basically as good as if I was listening to the live stream of the Tv channel on my PC.

However, I then tried out my un-powered Klipsch S4 earphones into to the same socket. As these don't have volume control I had to reduce the TV volume. This introduced a lot of crackling and static - a stark contrast to the first test. I tried testing the sennheiser cans at this volume level (and turning the volume on the headphones up) - but the TV was too quiet and the background noise of the wireless headphones at this power level was too high to notice the same issues.

As for the speakers, I agree that they are not amazing - but compared to my experiences with PC monitors with speakers they are worlds better. The speakers generally sound a bit muffled (most likely due to the construction) and the bass isn't really very strong - but for included TV speakers they seem to do the job OK.

As for the backlit bleeding - the panel looks pretty uniform when on a black screen. The black level isn't great, but it certainly doesn't seem to be uneven.

My bezel is also isn't flat (reflections are warped) but I guess its supposed to be a TV border not a mirror - so not much of an issue.

As for your panel - the 4th letter of the 2nd string is a "W" so you are looking at a S-IPS panel.

Associate
OP
OK well my Medusa NX Stereo (unpowered lol) headset, which is by the way, super dooper mega hooper awesome on PC, at max volume (in-line) and 100 on the telly, barely provided enough audio volume to listen to. Complete lack of bass whatsoever through the headphone port. I'd say basically that it's non-existent.

Blacks, deeper than deep. I must have a magic IPS panel of some kind.

I don't know, but if that plastic, soft, fabricy, maybe rubberish? labeling cover on the back doesn't stick down, I mean, it sort of is but isn't... anyway if it comes off completely at any point, I'll use super glue. Don't know how friendly super glue is to that kind of plastic on the back, but I'd rather it stay on.

Colours are tremendous. I must be fortunate to have received a panel with strangely deep blacks, an pretty much no bleed at 100 Contrast, 50 Brightness, 60-70 Backlight. I shouldn't imagine, I'd need any more than 50 brightness or 60-70. I've not even fine tuned it yet, but when I've properly decided on what I'm going to do, (based on the stand, the headphone port, an after a pixel check... what do i do for that? Super white screen? Any settings to be changed? - anyway after that, I'll decide what to do with it). Such a shame about the HP port. Really is.

I think the static is dependant on the headset.

What's your verdict, regarding my screen? lol - Has to last me like 4-5 years this telly. I don't fancy having to search for another for a long time, that 2-3 months was stressful lolz.

Associate
OP
Oh btw... no problem with the stand. Yes it isn't straight, in terms of the fastening holes, but it swivels. LOL

I remember seeing on a thread someone goes, added bonus "it swivels", an I tried to move it earlier but it wouldn't budge. Had another go, swung right round. :S Spooky.

Demons perhaps?

OK, so basically the only shiz wrong, is the Headphone jack is erm, non-audible, so basically let's pretend it doesn't have one, an then the labelling on the back is coming off lol. I'll check for dead pixels later. I have another 6 days afterall.

I'll check back soon, I have things to do!

Soldato
It does seem like there is an issue with your headphone socket (but then again there is an issue with mine when using un-powered headphones, just at lower volumes). Would you be able to connect to the console and PC directly (and switch them over when required)? Not an ideal solution, but it should provide better sound quality.

As for the sticker - here is a photo of the back of my TV, would you be able to point out where your sticker is? (again, appologies for the poor quality camera)

img0054ek.jpg

img0055wxb.jpg

The pixel checker I used was this one. Just run it on a PC (connected to your TV), cycle through the solid colours and see if you notice any bright or dead pixels standing out. I would suggest having the microfibre cloth in your hand when you do it - as often things that look like dead pixels are in fact just dust or dirt.

Edit: Now you mention it - it does seem to swivel. I hadn't noticed it before as I screwed it down pretty tight, but now I tried it properly and it does indeed turn.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
That entire area surrounding the ports is it. Not actual white stickers, I'm talking about the indented rectangle where ALL those ports sits is a sort of fabric type feel to it, that is what I'm talking about. It's not off, it's just, loose.

As for backlight bleed. There is some. Extremely minor at the bottom. It was noticeable because I was watching a blu-ray an the film had a different aspect ratio, so I had a black bar at the top and bottom. It also revealed the worst of the backlight bleed. A big blob about 3 inches in from the right side, a round blob shape. Much more noticable, but I wouldn't say horrendous. In all honesty, I'd of traded that big blob on the top edge, for a very faint thin layer all across the top, like at the bottom. Nothing is perfect.

Pics I took on Mobile phone and a 720p (8Mbps Photo) HD Webcam, was not sufficient for capturing the backlight bleed. It made it worse than it actually was, but the big blob is a tad annoying. It's not extremely bright though.

Yeah so you reckon my Headphone jack is busted? Volume 80-100 required on Metal Gear Solid 4 on PS3, with Headset on the Volume dial turned up like 60-80%. Kinda sucks. Just kind of worried if I trade it in, I'll end up with a different panel technology, a worse headphone port or severe, or more wide spread backlight bleed. Blah, too tired to think.

I'll check back tomorrow. I'm shattered.

Thanks for your help. Back soon! :D

Associate
OP
Still contemplating sending it back, due to the big patch of backlight bleed and the fact I've noticed some scratches to the front of the screen (the actual panel)

An for god sake, the smell of next door's cooking is disgusting! Geez! :(

Associate
OP
Played PS3 last night (this morning). Backlight bleed isn't that bad actually, but the two scratches on the front panel will have me send it back.

Hopefully another IPS comes, this time without scratches and hopefully without major backlight bleed. Not bothered about the headphone port. Consoles use Multi-AV for different sound setups, that or Optical Out, which the TV has anyway, so I'll never really need to use the headphone jack, I guess. Useful perhaps, but, doesn't really matter.

Wish me luck :D

Associate
OP
I didn't mind the backlight bleed, blob. It was distracting, yes, because it wasn't a thin strip across the top like it as at the bottom, which is actually what I prefer, but the 2 scratches (I tried to buff them away, but I don't want to risk scratching it more than it already is, yet it wouldn't budge), are a perhaps a bit much.

I've asked for a replacement already, asking for a box with xx.xxxWxxx lol, hoping they'd listen. But the scratches are what does it for me, especially since they don't come off. If it hadn't any scratches, I'd of kept it because when I jammed on Black Ops last night, I wasn't too bothered by the big circle of backlight bleed, because it wasn't overly bright.

I'll see how the next panel is. I really do hope one arrives in a similar condition, just minus the scratches to viewing panel. :)

Time to test D*'s returns policy. Simple returns eh? We'll soon see about that. (Didn't file it under DSR either, I said it had scratches on, to hopefully avoid charges haha - again, we'll see)

Associate
OP
Wasn't a scratch after all. The two things looked like scratches, an they weren't across the screen by about an inch or two, but I used my fingernail and scratched them off, an then buffed it with my sleeve. Do these screens have a scratch resistive layer and how resistive are they because it seems my fingernail had no or very little effect on it, even though to get whatever it was off, I scratched with quite a firm amount of pressure (my fingernail is rounded, not sharp by the way).

Anyway. I'll keep this one. The blob at the top right, isn't all that bad, an whilst the speakers are quite tinny, an a tad distorted at times... it'll do. I really can't be bothered to **** about anymore. I was so reluctant about that return that I didn't bother checking my e-mail or going on the D*s website, but now I guess I don't need to send it off anyway.

According to D*, they did contact me... several times after I complained about waiting 7 days without being contacted. I also was rang today by a witheld number 2 times... not sure who, but most likely them. On each occassion my phone was on silent. Oops? lol

Anyway. I'll use one of those special configs for the screen that people test and use, even though the defaults seem great, an I'll try to tweak it so Game* audio or Cinema* audio doesn't distort/vibrate as much when turned up a fair amount when playing games and some movies. Tinny? Bleh, suppose that doesn't matter right? It's way louder than what this Syncmaster 2032MW is, so I guess that's why it sounds more tinny than it actually is... because this monitors volume was only really ever on low?

So strange to realise that I won't be playing PS3 games on this lil 20" 16:10 monitor. Still play BFBC2, Oblivion n tha though. ;) muhaha

Thanks for your help folks.

Back
Top Bottom