I'm moving to Glasgow next month - any OcUKers from there?

Caporegime
alexander crescent gorbals v near city centre

nearby

heres a couple i found slightly above budget £650+ but better quality, gch, private parking, near city centre.

but hey the price should still be cheaper than Aberdeen...thats almost as bad as London for renting :p

Worse, at least London is interesting and people aren't unreasonably gouging you for rent when they know full well the prices have crashed.

Associate
[QUOTE="TheVoice, post: 30983780, member: 40668"
What about Bridgeton? Found a couple of decent-looking flats there, I've had a quick look on Streetivew and it seems quite nice.

I would have to agree with Bridgeton being a lot like Torry, they knocked down a lot of the slum around there to build the athletes village for the commonwealth games then when it was over moved a lot of the people they decanted back in to the new houses and it started to go downhill again quite quickly. I'm not saying its all bad but its certainly not coming up as fast as they planned.
Shawlands is pretty decent too as has been mentioned but can be a bit over lively at night (especially the weekends but there used to be some great bars there).
Dennistoun I am afraid I'm not a fan of, yes theres some nice people there but its not one of my favourite areas and some streets feel very slummy, but then I cant hold that against it as a lot of areas can be the same.

Associate
There is, but for the same thing as I've been looking for elsewhere (2 bed, reasonably modern finish, furnished, off-street parking) the price climbs well past £600. I'm trying to compromise as best I can though!

Cheers, I was actually looking at a couple of others in that area but for the money, they're a bit basic:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-49413414.html

That would be so easy to get to work though, one subway stop then I'm pretty much at the office. I much prefer that idea to driving all the way out to Cambuslang and back.

What about Bridgeton? Found a couple of decent-looking flats there, I've had a quick look on Streetivew and it seems quite nice.

Yea I know that area, its pretty close to the tiny excuse we have for China town in Glasgow which consists of one street with a restaurant and Chinese market then a Reardons snooker club lol. As for the 1 stop on the subway and you are at work, its 0.2 of a mile between the stops, walk dammit :p

Soldato
OP
alexander crescent gorbals v near city centre

nearby

heres a couple i found slightly above budget £650+ but better quality, gch, private parking, near city centre.

but hey the price should still be cheaper than Aberdeen...thats almost as bad as London for renting :p

Thanks, that first one looks fairly ideal although the cooker looks older than I am! £675 would be pushing my budget too far unfortunately, I don't want my pay rise to be wiped out entirely. The second one, I actually looked into some others in that Wallace St development last week, but apparently there's some real issues there with crime, drugs, antisocial behaviour etc. Surprising because at first glance it looks really nice.

It's not great, it's getting better - the Commonwealth Games and the Emirates Arena was meant to rejuvenate the area - it's not quite awful but I wouldn't live there. It's probably on par with Mastrick/Torry. If you can, go to Dennistoun.

Furnished or unfurnished?

I used to live in Aberdeen (well, Westhill). Where do you like in Aberdeen and I'll try and recommend a similar area in Glasgow.

Shawlands is a good area:
http://www.s1rental.com/Flats-for-rent/2017071320223291.shtml
http://www.s1rental.com/Flats-for-rent/2017071921000215.shtml

Damn, maybe not Bridgeton then. I'm looking for furnished, ideally 2-bed but I'm in a 1 bed at the moment so as long it's reasonably spacious I don't mind too much. A second room would be handy for guests but there's always the sofa.

When I was considering staying in Aberdeen I was going more for the Danestone area which is fairly quiet and residential. I live in Middlefield right now in a flat I got through a scheme at work, it's a crappy area so I'm keen to not repeat that experience again!

Edit: If I live on beans on toast for a year I could probably stretch to something like this:http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-60602176.html

It's Cathcart which looks close to Shawlands.

Last edited:
Caporegime
some right holes have been mentioned. first of all he's working at or near caley uni. that means buchanan bus station or queen street are his best routes for public transport. parking is an issue in this area unless he's working at the uni. he will have plenty of space in their car park.

i know queen street is 1 stop to bishopbriggs and it's a 5 minute walk to the uni. it's a okay area. a lot better than some of the holes that have been mentioned so far. southside and west end make no sense on his budget and working area. 1-2 bed flats in jordanhill go for like £200K because of the school and locality. byres road again will be way out of budget. sure the west end would be the ideal place for most people but on £600 a month he won't be getting much at all. he might get something in anniesland which isn't the best of areas. it's okay.

east end of glasgow is a hole. people mentioning airdrie and coatbridge they are cheap for a reason they are absolutely miles away from Glasgow and he's working in the city. they are also not that great either.

Bishopbriggs sounds like the best area for him tbh. Most of the southside if not all of it train wise goes into central station (the wrong train station for him). will add an additional 10-15 minutes onto his walk

Kinning park is a crap area tbh. Finnieston much better if you can find within your budget.

Avoid Ibrox at all costs, whoever mentioned that must have been having a laugh. Avoid Springburn, Sighthill and most of the east end.

I think you would like Bishopbriggs. Milngavie again I would think would be out of budget it's basically a cheap Bearsden and Bearsden would be way out of budget.

I have never rented though but I am going off purchase prices of areas.

Soldato
some right holes have been mentioned. first of all he's working at or near caley uni. that means buchanan bus station or queen street are his best routes for public transport. parking is an issue in this area unless he's working at the uni. he will have plenty of space in their car park.

i know queen street is 1 stop to bishopbriggs and it's a 5 minute walk to the uni. it's a okay area. a lot better than some of the holes that have been mentioned so far. southside and west end make no sense on his budget and working area. 1-2 bed flats in jordanhill go for like £200K because of the school and locality. byres road again will be way out of budget. sure the west end would be the ideal place for most people but on £600 a month he won't be getting much at all. he might get something in anniesland which isn't the best of areas. it's okay.

east end of glasgow is a hole. people mentioning airdrie and coatbridge they are cheap for a reason they are absolutely miles away from Glasgow and he's working in the city. they are also not that great either.

Bishopbriggs sounds like the best area for him tbh. Most of the southside if not all of it train wise goes into central station (the wrong train station for him). will add an additional 10-15 minutes onto his walk

Kinning park is a crap area tbh. Finnieston much better if you can find within your budget.

Avoid Ibrox at all costs, whoever mentioned that must have been having a laugh. Avoid Springburn, Sighthill and most of the east end.

I think you would like Bishopbriggs. Milngavie again I would think would be out of budget it's basically a cheap Bearsden and Bearsden would be way out of budget.

Listen to this post OP

Cathcart is ok. I used to live in Mount Florida close to MF train station. 15 mins to city centre

Avoid Bridgeton and Cambuslang...most of North Lanarkshire AVOID.

Edit yeah most of Gorbals is a bit crap.

Caporegime
I think Partick could be a shout. 2 stops (5 minutes) to queen street. It's an okay area. It's better than anniesland but not as good as the proper west end.

Again I have no idea about prices but I think should be similar to finnieston. However with finnieston it's not easy to get to Caley uni from. It's about a 40 minute walk. Whereas Partick has a train station. Six and half a dozen I suppose when you add it all up.

I would look at flat prices in Bishopbriggs though (near train station) and compare from there to see if its worth being nearer the city.

What are you looking for in your local area? Coffee shops? restaurants? night clubs? pubs? trendy bars?

Soldato
OP

Thanks PS, someone else had recommended Bishopbriggs, just had another look but all the nice places are unfurnished for my budget, so I think that's out.

I've got two in Shawlands I'm going to enquire about, and one in Dennistoun, so that's not bad going so far. I'll have a look at Partick too.

Soldato
Have a look at East Kilbride.

Well within your budget, plus it's a 20 min train journey in Glasgow central and a 10 min walk to uni.
Some nice areas in there, plus for £600 a month you'll get a top notch 2 bed flat for that.
Or even a 2 bed house in a slightly less desirable area.
Good
St Leonard's
Lindsayfield
Village
East mains
Hayrmyres

Ok
Some area of greenhill
Calderwood
Bramcumhall

Not so nice
Westwood

Caporegime
Thanks PS, someone else had recommended Bishopbriggs, just had another look but all the nice places are unfurnished for my budget, so I think that's out.

I've got two in Shawlands I'm going to enquire about, and one in Dennistoun, so that's not bad going so far. I'll have a look at Partick too.

this is the problem you have. £600 doesn't get you much in a half decent area.

so you will have to compromise between a half decent area further away or a okay to bad area that is closer. East Kilbride for instance is an absolute nightmare to get to and from if your planning on going anywhere else bar Glasgow. It's also miles away from Glasgow. I wouldn't really recommend it unless you plan on having very little social life or only ever going into Glasgow. If you don't have a car for going to harder to get to places then avoid EK.

Paisley would be a better shout than East Kilbride. Close to airport, braehead, silverburn and decent transport links. However there are places in Paisley you would get stabbed for a fiver other places which are semi okay and some that are okay. Tbh most of it isn't nice. Barrhead is okay as is a few other places but avoid Gallowhill and Ferguslie Park.

I'd take shawlands over dennistoun personally if that is what it comes down to, I don't know what it's like now but dennistoun has a bad rep from back in the day, it used to be a very rough area, don't know what it's like now. shawlands however i believe currently has issues with all the eastern european immigrants coming into the area (i'd take a good walk about 4 blocks in every direction during the day before committing to a place, romanians selling kids on some roads, etc not nice), it has it's good and bad areas though just make sure it's not a bad one. Take a look at Partick but I fear it will likely be too expensive, anywhere decent near the city will be. Anniesland is then worth looking into as well as Giffnock. Giffnock is nice but a bit further away than Shawlands (1 more stop).

How do you plan on getting about? Train? Car? Both?

Soldato
East Kilbride is easy to get to from anywhere.
Trains every 20mins or so, huge bus terminus. Plus links to all major motorways a 5-10 min drive away.
Shawlands is an absolute nightmare just now with the undesired east Europeans, Albert Drive is a hellhole waiting to explode.
Goffnock would be out his price range, Barrhead is probably the same to get to and from EK.
I would say the amenities are better in EK than any outlying town from Glasgow.
Huge shopping centre, top class sports complex, swimming centre, excellent pubs, great choice of eating places, cinema, it is quite a family oriented town during the day.
You won't get a better social life than in Glasgow though. there has to be a compromise with his budget and social aspects.

Paisley is alrsifht as well, closer links to airport and Braehead, although Silverburn is about the same from EK I would say, trains into Glasgow would be very similar. Plus he can park his car at he train station for free every day. Or like Kelly above have a flat at Harymyres which is a 1 min walk to station.

Soldato
Depends on what you are after if I was younger and single on decent money south side or west end pretty much :)

If I was after somewhere decent and cheap to live anywhere with a train line to central really

Caporegime
I've always found EK difficult to get to. I've always lived in East Dunbartonshire . Lots of people at my old work in Cumbernauld used to say the same thing too about EK. It sounds like a decent commuter town for Glasgow though, maybe more difficult to get to other places .

It's hard to get anywhere in even a half decent area now for cheap. Your best bet is to try and buy a flat in anniesland as a starting rung on the property ladder.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the help folks, saw a couple more places this week in Shawlands. I like the area, both flats were decent but one has the edge with private parking and being really close to the train station. It's not perfect, the kitchen is tiny and there's only a washing machine and a standalone fridge, but I have a spare freezer I can put somewhere. More importantly, it means I'll have somewhere to live. Will be putting an offer in! :)

Soldato
West end or south side. Avoid anything that ends in hill (except Jordanhill which is good but family orientated so probably not what you're looking for anyway) and avoid Possil.
Also ibrox has some dodgy bits

Aw c'mon, I grew up in dear old Possilpark in it's heyday of worst housing area in Western Europe. ;)

Plenty to choose from dependent on how quiet you want things. Lots of areas in the West End like Partick, Hillhead, Dowanhill or Hyndland. The South Side has some nice areas but not as much nightlife such as Clarkston, Giffnock, Newlands or Newton Means. North of the City, you've got Bishopbriggs, Milngavie or Bearsden.

I would avoid Springboig as most of the East End has suffered from lack of investment and it shows. It's only in the last few years that anything has been done to remedy this.

Failing all that, you could consider the City Centre as there are lots of decent flats to be had in the Merchant City area. The old Herald building is pretty decent.

Soldato
You said before you wouldn't mind being out of the city. If you are an outdoors person who would like to explore a bit of the west of Scotland (and you have a car) you could try somewhere in the Dumbarton/Balloch area. Great access to Loch Lomond and the Trossachs. The train from Dumbarton goes to Partick for the West End and would get you into Queen Street in 30 mins. Just an alternative option.

Associate
Aw c'mon, I grew up in dear old Possilpark in it's heyday of worst housing area in Western Europe. ;)

Plenty to choose from dependent on how quiet you want things. Lots of areas in the West End like Partick, Hillhead, Dowanhill or Hyndland. The South Side has some nice areas but not as much nightlife such as Clarkston, Giffnock, Newlands or Newton Means. North of the City, you've got Bishopbriggs, Milngavie or Bearsden.

I would avoid Springboig as most of the East End has suffered from lack of investment and it shows. It's only in the last few years that anything has been done to remedy this.

Failing all that, you could consider the City Centre as there are lots of decent flats to be had in the Merchant City area. The old Herald building is pretty decent.

I once accidentally went to look at a place in Possil before I knew, thinking the location would be great for getting into the hills without having to go up the M8. There was a guy walking in the middle of that main road as you go round the left-hand corner, off his mammaries on something strong :D.

Soldato
To be brutally fair, Possil is very well placed for access to the City Centre, M8 and heading off into the countryside. The trouble is that it was an experiment in social housing writ large with row upon row of (dodgy 50's) tenements branching off of the main thoroughfare and it all went to pot (literally) when the local foundry closed. It has been noted that the East End has suffered from a lack of investment but this also applies to the Northern areas of the city such as Possil and Maryhill. A stone's throw from Charing Cross and Sauchiehall Street, but largely left to rot by successive councils.

Back
Top Bottom