I'm weak. Completely ashamed of myself.

Permabanned
After being so determined to drop Office work completely and get started towards a trade, I've just signed a contract to be an implementation manager.

My excuse is that it's only a two month initial contract and it will give me five months off when it's done so I can get back to college/into an apprenticeship.

Ah well...Wish me luck! :/

Two months of specifying, prepping, building and configuring desktops, servers, printers, routers, switches, firewalls...

*n

Permabanned
OP
monkeyspank said:
Ashamed enough to start a thread?

Congrats though dude, sounds like a good contract.

After I made a big noise about dropping out from IT, yeah. I am.

It is a good contract, yeah. I'm just slightly fearful that it may snowball into another two months...then a different contract...and before you know it, I'm 30 and in the exact same position I was in at 22.

:(

*n

Permabanned
OP
daz said:
Implementation manager. What a title. :p

My words exactly.

Considering I'll be working alone (SCORE!), am I supposed to be managing boxes and cables? ;)

Perhaps make sure they're not...slacking?

Mourn the pun.

*n

Soldato
penski said:
After I made a big noise about dropping out from IT, yeah. I am.

It is a good contract, yeah. I'm just slightly fearful that it may snowball into another two months...then a different contract...and before you know it, I'm 30 and in the exact same position I was in at 22.

:(

*n

but with bags of cash hopefully

Soldato
how about over the next two months you do some research about whatever trade you want to go into, and then you can start as soon as this contract ends?

Permabanned
OP
Welshy said:
how about over the next two months you do some research about whatever trade you want to go into, and then you can start as soon as this contract ends?

That's what I've been doing so far.

I'm thinking of going straight into college as soon as the contract is up.

Can't decide between plumbing (big money, have to work with poo :() or electrickery (decent money, have to work in close spaces...)

*n

Permabanned
OP
shifty_uk said:
If you get a trade you'll probably be earning a lot less than you are at the moment. Doesn't that bother you?

I have an odd outlook - if I have enough to cover my bills and get myself a couple of treats each month then I don't have a huge desire for more money.

I'd only spend it on crap anyway.

I have no kids, no debts, I keep my monthly outgoings quite low...Hell, I could maintain my current standard of life with about £13k a year. I'd just have to cut back on a couple of magazines and a couple of nights out ;)

Yes, there will be a short-term drop in salary but the long-term benefits are very much worth it:

A decent salary
A defined skill
A skill that will be required no matter where I live
A move away from office politics
Virtually guarenteed employment compared to the unstable and fickle world of IT.

*n

Soldato
penski said:
That's what I've been doing so far.

I'm thinking of going straight into college as soon as the contract is up.

Can't decide between plumbing (big money, have to work with poo :() or electrickery (decent money, have to work in close spaces...)

*n
I considered a trade, but I'm too old (and I don't like other people's poo).

I also have a fancy title and work on my own with zero supervision. We should skive off one lunchtime and go have a beer ;)

Soldato
you're more likely to be better paid anyway. Everyone goes to uni these days so plumbers and electricians can earn loads. I'm like you, I could live off very little as long as I had a couple of treats every month maybe and a small lump to travel on each summer.

Permabanned
OP
Skidmark said:
I considered a trade, but I'm too old (and I don't like other people's poo).

I also have a fancy title and work on my own with zero supervision. We should skive off one lunchtime and go have a beer ;)

Sounds like a plan.

It's located in the midst of mackems though...Guess I'll have to brush up on my sOUper dOUper compOUter skills... ;)

*n

Back
Top Bottom