I'm wiling to lend my monitor calibrator

Also interested in this because i've tried Adobe gamma but that's awful.. didn't help. Found it for £60 online for price references.

Any good software ones i can try?
Oh and will games still look gd?

I think it's just my ''cheap'' monitor.. i've tried to calibrate it with software for like 30 mins but made no progress.

Last edited:
A couple of thoughts I've just had re this.

How do you stand on the software licensing side? Is it allowed to be installed on numerous PC's?

Also, I know my Spyder calibration software nags me to re-calibrate after 3 months, so folks should bear that in mind.

You really should re-calibrate every once in a while anyway, and I'd suggest that if you're serious about photography, you really should invest in one for the long term.

Might be a good thing to help people decide if they benefit from a calibration though.

With the software that came with my i1d2 it gives you the option of when it should nag you to re-calibrate so you should be able to turn it off? Also it allows calibration of multiple workstations although I'm not sure if they need to belong to the one company or individual.

TFT displays go out of sync much slower than CRT's, most TFT's should be fine for 6 months or longer (well will only go out slightly, if you need perfect calibration you'd probably own one already). Once you have done the calibration, it should create an icc file for each monitor. You can back these up and then re-use them for any driver or windows installs in this time.

With windows 7 they have improved the colour space management, you can set up a default that the whole of windows uses and it also loads and stays set properly unlike vista. So if you re-install with Windows 7 you don't really need to re-install the calibration software again. Vista needs a small program running on startup that keeps the right icc profile loaded up (usually comes with the profile software), there's certain situations where Vista can revert back to the wrong profile under use even when setup as the default one in colour management.

Here's the info for windows 7, found it on a site but can't remember where.

type "color management" in to the start menu search.
first tab "devices" select the display, click Add, browse to your backed up profile and add it. Can do the same for a 2nd monitor using the drop down.

Tab Advanced:
click on "Change system defaults"
new window opens, select the right profile to the right monitor on the "device" tab.
new window tab "Advanced", check the box for "use windows display calibration".
That should make sure it keeps the right profiles loaded.

That's it setup with no need for any other software.

How odd, I've been looking at getting one myself especially as i've just purchased a BenQ G2420HD 24" to edit on and was considering buying one to hire out :)

I may be up for this myself, will check back later :)

OK I'm willing to chuck my Spyder 2 express into the mix too!

My Rules :

First person who wants it pays for special delivery or we arrange a local collection for the locations in my profile.

After 7 days if nobody else has requested the item then the first person pays for special delivery to send it back to me.

If someone else request it within 7 days then the person who has it has to pay to send via special delivery the package to the next requester. (Sorry first person as you will be hit with 2 postal payments unless you're local!)

7 Days is the maximum any one person should hold onto the spyder unless agreed. After 7 days it should move to the next requester or be returned to me.

All requesters must have been registered for greater than 90 days with 100 posts!!

The spyder is sitting at work at the moment so I can't action this until next Tuesday at the earliest.

Good thinking Wonder_Lander, however I think something can be done about the postage so the first person doesn't get hit twice.

Sorry I haven't written up the thread people, I've been mega busy! (Mainly with car insurance quotes and trying to put money aside for a new photography toy ;))

I'll do it this weekend for sure, I'll speak with a mod about getting it stickied so it doesn't get lost and we'll go from there :)

My Rules :

First person who wants it pays for special delivery or we arrange a local collection for the locations in my profile.

After 7 days if nobody else has requested the item then the first person pays for special delivery to send it back to me.

This will probably scupper everything but................I'm sure I've seen the spyder 2 for sale between 50 - 60 quid with spyder 3 up around the 90quid mark, now I dunno how heavy these monitor calibration software / hardware is but the postage on it if its special delivery for a one off item if being sent both ways will be between 20 - 30 quid will it not? :confused:

This will probably scupper everything but................I'm sure I've seen the spyder 2 for sale between 50 - 60 quid with spyder 3 up around the 90quid mark, now I dunno how heavy these monitor calibration software / hardware is but the postage on it if its special delivery for a one off item if being sent both ways will be between 20 - 30 quid will it not? :confused:

Blimey - no way RMSD it'll be about £10 max unless these things weigh loads!!

Blimey - no way RMSD it'll be about £10 max unless these things weigh loads!!

I got mine today and it weighs next to nothing - way below the RMSD 2kg limit. I went with the Spyder 3 Pro and it has made a nice difference, but sorry to say I'm not community-minded enough to lend it around. I'm nice, but not that nice :p

I would like to do this but im in Bristol and would require it to be compatible with OS X 10.6!

When I buy a proper monitor I think another £100 for calibration is worth it :p

The person receiving the item could not put 100% + sum to cover postage maybe?

Then upon return they get 100% back, otherwise people being kind enough to loan it out will be losing out?

If this is still active I'm extremely intertested in taking part.

I'd also be intersted in knowing your views on whether all monitors are worth calibrating? I have a TN now (Dell SP2309W) and was considering upgrading to a PVA to get more accurate colours, but if this can sort me out I'll stick where I am.

Is it possible to get accurate colours from a TN with this character?

Thanks a great deal. You are a gentleman and a scholar!

I am also interested in borrowing the calibrator, I've got a new laptop coming (finally!) and would like to calibrate it before I start editing photos on it :)

Back
Top Bottom