iMac 2.8 i5 27" for Sims and Minecraft?

Man of Honour
I have a chance to buy a cheap iMac 2.8 i5 from someone at work. It needs a new hdd and RAM so I would add those myself. I am considering it for my daughter. She currently only playes Minecraft, Sims 3 and Sims 4 on a Windows desktop. But she wants to get an iMac or Macbook for her new bedroom.

It will obviously play Minecraft OK but does anyone know whether it will play Simms 3 / 4 OK?

Thanks.

Associate
I've got a 2010 iMac that my son uses for minecraft, works fine.

Everything we use it for is still smooth and fast, bonkers for a 7 year old computer. I did upgrade the ram and put a SSD in it a few years back which no doubt has helped.

Soldato
i'm still running a mid 2011 imac (with a 16gigs of ram upgrade and an external thunderbolt SSD for the boot drive and programs) and it runs both those games really well. And everything i throw at it come to think of that! I keep almost wishing i had an excuse to upgrade but i really don't!

(and i'm writing this post on a 2009 macbook 15" - which again, is fine and dandy!!)

Associate
Sorry I should add that I'm playing Sims 4 at my native 1080P at medium settings and averaging 50fps.
Sims 3 is less demanding and really flies. But I don't like it because I think it's an inferior game.

So yes, any 2017 imac will run sims 3 and 4 handily without issue, but possibly not maxed out, depending on imac model.

Back
Top Bottom