iMac late 2013 SSD or NVMe upgrade options

Associate
the drive in my 2010 imac died a couple of years ago so i replaced it with a cheap sandisk ssd... i didn't buy a caddy or cables for the fan... i just stuck it to the chassis where the old drive was with electrical tape :) , and to stop the fans spinning up i use the SSD Fan Control software...

http://exirion.net/ssdfanctrl/

Soldato
Hi all,
Can anyone tell me please what SSD you used and did you need the special cable to stop fans running 100% of the time?e

Thanks.

It's generally best practice to put the proper thermal sensor in, as the software control isn't quite as good. For £35 it's worth it, however it will work with the software. Any 2.5" SSD will do and you'll only need the sensor cable if it's a 27" version.

Associate
OP
Thanks, yes, i think I will buy the cable for how much they cost, not a lot.

Online advice on this is massively contradictory so a quick question guys please. My i5 based late 2013 iMac has the fusion drive. Do I need to break this drive into the two parts? What I'd really like to do is to install a new NVMe drive on the logic board and add a SSD in place of the HDD, both drives being 1TB or even 2TB. Then reboot the whole shebang with the two new internal drives to give a system with masses of solid state storage for Lightroom and Photoshop.

Back
Top Bottom