iMac screen burn...

Permabanned
Has anyone else noticed this on their iMacs or MBPs? For a while I just had the default desktop wallpaper and when rebooting my computer the other day, on the left of my screen was a large smudge that matches perfectly part of the pattern on the default desktop wallpaper. Initially I thought my screen was on the way out. So I googled around and found others complaining of "burn" marks on machines left on for long periods of time. Now I don't turn my iMac off unless it's for an update. And the screen saver comes on after 15 minutes on Flurry which is set to a dark cycle.

I set the background to a single colour (grey) and the smudged burn pattern of the default desktop eventually disappeared (which took until today). So I moved my Safari window to get a better look and there, in front of me, again only on the left hand side of the screen, is a nice straight smudge/burn line that was lined up perfectly with where the edge of Safari had been.

So I've now set my desktop wallpaper to rotate every 15 minutes and hope that'll be an end to it. But I was lead to believe that it was only plasma screens that suffered burn in.

Anyone else noticed it on machines they leave on without a rotating desktop wallpaper? Or indeed a particular side that suffers more than the other. For me it's the left side where I believe the CPU is. No such problems on the right side where the ODD and card reader are. I never had a problem on my Asus TFT monitors even when I had the screen remain on and never go into sleep mode or not have a screensaver running.

Soldato
If it is still in warranty call up apple or take it in for them to look at. Often these types of thing they understand are unacceptable if you were to be doing graphics work and so will exchange.

Never heard of screen burn though on an lcd personally.

Permabanned
OP
It's a 2009 21.5" with the 9400m. Got it as a refurb. When I have a "busy" background, you can't see it. As I mentioned, I only picked it up when I was rebooting and there was the solid colour there and then once I noticed it I couldn't get the thing out of my head.

With some more googling, Apple like to call it "image persistance".

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2807

More info on image persistence here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_persistence

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom