1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Images of items I have purchased (except trainers)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zefan, 29 Jun 2016.

1. Armageus

Don

Because they match the rest of the decor (coving, colour scheme etc), rather than a row of kitchen units dumped in a straight line in an otherwise modern looking room?

2. bJN

Mobster

Because they're (rightly) positioned where it's natural to have them: an alcove. And he made them. And they look good. :p

3. BallistixOnZ490

Wise Guy

Im getting similar units soon in a bare and empty room and everyone calls it kitchen units. Nothing looks modern or such, its a fully empty room with just blinds, carpet and plain white walls.

Everyone argued that shaker units are for kitchens only, not lounges. Hypocrisy.

Hypocrite.

4. Chrisc

Wise Guy

Yeah you're right, its basically a long wheelbase golf. Mine has a LSD so it really does well in the corners.

5. Mason-

Soldato

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. :)

6. Martynt74

Capodecina

As mentioned above, generally because there's 2 of them either side which is quite common for alcove units, they look fitted to the surroundings. Not a row of 6 units along a wall which is typically a look you would see in a kitchen/utility room.

7. Hades

Caporegime

OK, if it makes you feel better I'll pick on a couple of points...

@Mason- Not sure my OCD can deal with the poor edging of the blue paintwork. Also why didn't you take the opportunity to embed the radiator pipe into the wall during renovations, or at least paint the copper half white. You monster!

(Love it Mason)

8. Mason-

Soldato

It looks better in person but you're right I could have cut in around the caulk line better. A sofa will be going along that wall, I could have done it, but didn't see the point it was always gonna be where the sofa is going. I am going to slap some hammerite on them though (white). We buried a radiator pipe in the hallway too... what a ball ache that was, so much bloody dust angle grinding the concrete floor up.

9. Martynt74

Capodecina

Also, looks like you need to clean your mirror, there's a huge black smudge on it

10. Dis86

Suspended

Who's the bitterest man in the living room, bitterest man in the living room?

11. Dave85

Sgarrista

Hi, It's the patio Gas bottles I use and the small one 5kg lasts for about 15 to 20 hours of use so quite a while. I paid £20 for a refill. I have not tried butane as I read something about it not working the same. If you can find a used tank for £10 quid its a bargain as the deposit on a new one even if you find stock is like 45 quid.

12. Basher

Sgarrista

I use Patio Gas - a 13KG bottle. I got it filled/swapped at the weekend and it was £44. Lasts friggin ages.

13. Matutu

Hitman

My Porsche Taycan finally came 3 weeks ago so couldn’t resist this on offer :)

[​IMG]

14. BallistixOnZ490

Wise Guy

Hopefully you are not age 9 or less otherwise that means you can't use it.

15. Buffman

Sgarrista

great work. Any more pics of the units being made¿ you do the rest also¿

16. Mason-

Soldato

I took the room apart, removed the old brick fire place. Plastering, fire place and flooring had people in to do. Installing the coving, picture rail and making the cupboards I did myself. Also all the decorating (wouldn’t be pleased if I paid someone for the **** job I do of cutting in :) )

Can upload some pics of the various states of completeness of the cupboards. It’s all 18mm mdf + furniture board. Panels of the doors and back panels of the cupboard are 6mm mdf.

Last edited: 19 Jul 2021
  17. Mason-

Soldato

This was the start.
    Furniture board carcass, MDF wood box, normal kitchen cabinet feet. Routed a 6.5mm slot in the carcass to insert a 6mm mdf back panels.
    [​IMG]

Shelves, and a centre beam for the doors to close on to, and kick plate (I had to put another one on top, I messed up a bit here). I was originally going to have magnets to hold the doors shut, but the hinges I bought have soft close and keep the doors in the closed position so didn't need it really.
    [​IMG]

Loose tenon shaker doors. 18mm rails + stiles. 6mm mdf panel.

[​IMG]

Fitted to the cabinet:
    [​IMG]

Side fillets + scribed top shelf, also second kick plate (from the **** up earlier) to get the doors flush to.
    [​IMG]

This is the profile I routed on to the top shelf. This is the only thing I wish I did differently. I think a 'chunkier' top would have looked better, but I only have a router with a 1/4 inch chuck. You need 1/2 inch routers really and a router bench to do chunkier stuff. I still think the end result looks good, but it's quite easy to not notice the profile. As you can tell from my choice of decor in the house, I love a good profile, so I know it's there and that's all that matters :D
    [​IMG]
    Added 18mm quadrant beading to the opening of the wood box. Also can see the profile in this shot. The top sits better than in this photo now, one of the nails I put through the beading before the glue went off stuck through the top and was holding the top shelf up.
    [​IMG]

And that's it really, fitted the skirting. What seemed like weeks and weeks of painting sanding and filling and that's it.

Some other things: jigsawed out the back panels of the cabinets for power sockets + internet stuff, added cable tidies on top.

18. ChrisD.

Caporegime

19. BallistixOnZ490

Wise Guy

You made the skirting boards and coving yourself too, wow!

I would die from trying to hammer a single nail. Well trying to put together my dining table and ottoman window seat both almost destroyed me.

You don't get matching coving or skirting with paid for fitted units, at least not without paying for one of the 5 figure companies.

20. Mason-

Soldato

I didn’t make them I fitted them :) edited my post now I can see why it may seem like that’s what I meant.