Images of items I have purchased (except trainers)

Soldato
technically not a purchase but a freebie :)

LTVfJXRB.jpg[

4fACpnZK.jpg

it feels rather substantial and solid compared to everything i've used previously from netgear and tplink

dread to think of the cost if i had to pay for it though :(

Caporegime
Meraki is fantastic stuff. Our whole building is stuffed to the gills with it, including our CCTV.

Really good quality, even the packaging is incredibly well thought out.

Soldato
Thought about attending the webinar for one of these to be honest, not used Meraki stuff but played around with their Catalyst range.

Does it turn dumb as soon as the licensing runs out?

Bought a couple of 10G RJ45 modules to link my main 10G SPF+ switch to the NAS out in the garden (would have used fibre but the Cat5e cablings already in place so it was just a case of moving a cable between ports in the shed and the comms cupboard). These modules are also NBASE-T compatible so if the connection can't handle 10G it can drop to 5G or 2.5G, not that it's an issue as they can do 10G over Cat5e up to 100m and Cat6a up to 200m so pretty hard to make then negotiate down but useful if you want to connect to a 5/2.5G device (regular 10G modules can't do that so would just negotiate 1G with the 5/2.5G device).

DSC-0477.jpg

How do these do 10G over Cat5e? Cat6 can only do 10G officially up to around 30M off the top of my head, and on U/UTP, alien x-talk is a real threat?

Soldato
Thought about attending the webinar for one of these to be honest, not used Meraki stuff but played around with their Catalyst range.

Does it turn dumb as soon as the licensing runs out?

Not as soon as the license expires, I believe you get a 30 day grace period. Once you're past that 30 days then the stuff stops working and if you log into the dashboard you can only access the licensing page. Try to get to anything else and it'll tell you that you need to sort your licensing.

We removed almost al our Meraki stuff as the re-licensing was very expensive and renewing wasn't easy. For example, we bought a 5 pack of AP's then 2 single AP's. To re-license them we had to order a 5 x license and 2 x 1 license. Resellers said that as long as the total number of licenses purchased matched the number of devices then all was good so we were advised to buy 7 individual licenses. It wasn't. The license codes were rejected (expect for the 2 x 1 license) and it took ages to get it sorted.

Soldato
Not yet, just got delivered this morning. Probably will be in a few weeks when i get back from holiday. Only chance this weekend i'll get will be sunday and i plan to be very hungover!

For £140 though with a battery it seemed daft not to just buy it now though :D

Caporegime
technically not a purchase but a freebie :)

LTVfJXRB.jpg[

4fACpnZK.jpg

it feels rather substantial and solid compared to everything i've used previously from netgear and tplink

dread to think of the cost if i had to pay for it though :(

They want you to install and use it so you have to renew any licences, that's where the money is now.

How do these do 10G over Cat5e? Cat6 can only do 10G officially up to around 30M off the top of my head, and on U/UTP, alien x-talk is a real threat?

About 30-40m on cat5e, 50-60m on cat6. Mileage will vary.

Back
Top Bottom