Images of items I have purchased (except trainers)

Soldato
Very nice! I don't know if I'm more impressed or puzzled that Japanese woodworking tools seem further ahead than the western equivalent. I frequently use my Shinto saw rasp yet I've never come across one in a general shop.

Interesting, i had never seen them before. Yeah, their tools seem a lot more refined and accurate than most western tools. I remember when i was at college we had Spear and Jackson saws that would make wide, rough cuts and everyone ended up buying Japanese pull saws to use instead and the college saws never got used. There are some decent western tool makers, but their prices are very high as woodworking by hand seems to be almost a forgotten skill in the west now we have power tools and machinery. Most of our good tool makers are long gone and now almost everything you see in a tool shop is shipped in from China and made from the cheapest materials possible.

Mark, are you still doing much blade smithing? I'm getting more and more into antique blade restoration, including pattern-welded and wootz blades.

I haven't for a while now and now that you mention it, making my own marking knife would have been a great little project. I keep meaning to get back into it and then something else comes up. I have recently been buying and restoring old tools, but am going to look into making a little paint can forge next to hopefully make it easier to heat treat steel.

Hows your collection coming along?

9GXLweR.jpg.png

One more purchase that arrived today, a 4000 grit whetstone to bridge the gap between my 1200g and 6000g stones, although I'll probably just use this instead of the 6k stone as a final finishing stone as 6k is overkill.

Soldato
Interesting, i had never seen them before. Yeah, their tools seem a lot more refined and accurate than most western tools. I remember when i was at college we had Spear and Jackson saws that would make wide, rough cuts and everyone ended up buying Japanese pull saws to use instead and the college saws never got used. There are some decent western tool makers, but their prices are very high as woodworking by hand seems to be almost a forgotten skill in the west now we have power tools and machinery. Most of our good tool makers are long gone and now almost everything you see in a tool shop is shipped in from China and made from the cheapest materials possible.

You've hit the nail on the head. In Japan, hand woodworking is seen as a worthwhile art form that's worthy of respect and there's a next generation that wants to be taught it from their seniors. Here, I personally know of one guy that's a trained fine furniture maker, who can't make a living out it and runs his own kitchen making company. No one wants to pay hundreds for an artisan made chair, so the skills, the tools, and the toolmakers have all but disappeared here.

Soldato

I haven't for a while now and now that you mention it, making my own marking knife would have been a great little project. I keep meaning to get back into it and then something else comes up. I have recently been buying and restoring old tools, but am going to look into making a little paint can forge next to hopefully make it easier to heat treat steel.

Hows your collection coming along?

9GXLweR.jpg.png

One more purchase that arrived today, a 4000 grit whetstone to bridge the gap between my 1200g and 6000g stones, although I'll probably just use this instead of the 6k stone as a final finishing stone as 6k is overkill.

I hope you do keep up with it - I remember your knife-making threads years ago and it was all very impressive. My stuff is coming along very well, thank you - I just need to find more buyers. I etched a 300-year-old Persian blade today and it's all quite fun. I'd make a thread about everything but I'm not sure anyone would find it interesting.

Soldato
I hope you do keep up with it - I remember your knife-making threads years ago and it was all very impressive. My stuff is coming along very well, thank you - I just need to find more buyers. I etched a 300-year-old Persian blade today and it's all quite fun. I'd make a thread about everything but I'm not sure anyone would find it interesting.
You are JOKING. There is a thread on making planes by hand and it's captivating. Some of the finest work I've ever seen in any discipline in there. Fill your boots :)

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/hand-made-infill-plane-woodwork.18847970/

Soldato
Bought the Orbi after noticing another posters recommendations.

1IK0OtN.jpg

Google WiFi mesh, giving me around 125Mbps was an improvement over the BT Smarthub 2 but I'm really impressed with the Netgear Orbi's coverage, very nearly matching wired speeds.

63z8SJEl.jpg

Could do with a third for the back room but they are quite expensive, so I might just leave it as is.

Permabanned
Bought the Orbi after noticing another posters recommendations.

1IK0OtN.jpg

Google WiFi mesh, giving me around 125Mbps was an improvement over the BT Smarthub 2 but I'm really impressed with the Netgear Orbi's coverage, very nearly matching wired speeds.

63z8SJEl.jpg

Could do with a third for the back room but they are quite expensive, so I might just leave it as is.
Severely overpriced that stuff.

You can get a Ruckus R310 from eBay for less than 1 of those and just 1 R310 will give you the same coverage and faster speeds than 2 or 3 of those devices combined depending on layout.

Soldato
Severely overpriced that stuff.

You can get a Ruckus R310 from eBay for less than 1 of those and just 1 R310 will give you the same coverage and faster speeds than 2 or 3 of those devices combined depending on layout.

Hmm I'll look into that cheers. £260 for the Orbi ( RBK50) router and satellite, If the Ruckus delivers similar performance, a more simple solution and at half the price I might return the Orbi gear

Soldato
Ha! Okay, fair enough. I'll photograph my next project and upload a thread. :)
Awesome, i'll look forward to seeing that. Always great to see interesting projects on here.

yCL4rna.jpg.png

I told my mum I tried to order a plant pot online and it broke in transit, so she said she'd get me one and this is what turned up lol. Not quite what I had in mind.

Caporegime
No one wants to pay hundreds for an artisan made chair, so the skills, the tools, and the toolmakers have all but disappeared here.

You day this but it's still like £5,000 for the base Eames & Eames lounge chair.

People have no problem paying a lot for furniture, it's just the design is usually much more important than the craftsman ship

Back
Top Bottom