Images of items I have purchased (except trainers)

Soldato
@Raymond Lin - Let me know how you get on with that Guitar course. I bought a guitar about 3 years ago with the promise of putting time into something new but haven't done anything with it.

Keep me posted please.

Soldato
Cheers. Itching to try some now. Inverted method sounds like the most commonly used.

How many beans do you grind and what volume of water?

Do you store your opened bags on the shelf? They have a resealable bit. Or better off decanting the beans into clip airtight jars?

Good choice, they make great coffee. :)

I use mine inverted and weigh out 18g of coffee, same as I use in my espresso machine. I put the coffee in then fill it to the top with water and leave it for two minutes to brew. Then I give it a stir, put the filter on and flip it over to press. Remember to put the paper filter in the cap before you flip it otherwise it makes a hell of a mess.. Stupidly, I've done that more than once!

I've got a big Lock n Lock tub that I put all my beans in once opened.

Soldato
Good choice, they make great coffee. :)

I use mine inverted and weigh out 18g of coffee, same as I use in my espresso machine. I put the coffee in then fill it to the top with water and leave it for two minutes to brew. Then I give it a stir, put the filter on and flip it over to press. Remember to put the paper filter in the cap before you flip it otherwise it makes a hell of a mess.. Stupidly, I've done that more than once!

I've got a big Lock n Lock tub that I put all my beans in once opened.
AHH cool. Glad it's nice coffee. They are local to me and my wife and the roasters wife work together. I've always bought supermarket ground coffee before so looking forward to grinding my own beans and trying the aeropress.

Associate
Cheers. Itching to try some now. Inverted method sounds like the most commonly used.

How many beans do you grind and what volume of water?

Do you store your opened bags on the shelf? They have a resealable bit. Or better off decanting the beans into clip airtight jars?

I agree with 18g for a nice cup. Also get a reusable aluminium filter to replace the paper.
You should brew using hot, but not boiling water. Some people use a thermometer, but i can't be bothered. I just put a splash of cold in with the grounds and stir it into a paste before adding boiling water from the kettle

Soldato
The paper filters are more than fine. Just make sure you wet it with hot water once it's in the 'basket'.

I'd suggest starting with 15g and 230-250g of water with a 90 second brew time and a ~30 second press. You can always increase the amount of grind and water as you get used to things and you'll be able to 'dial in' a much better coffee if you start at the lower end of the weights, adjusting as you see fit per the below link.

https://www.homegrounds.co/coffee-grind-chart/ - Here is a half decent guide to bean grind size, you want to be using a medium-fine grind for the Aeropress ideally.

For inverted I'd suggest you:
  1. set it up inverted (place on digital scales, zero them once on)
  2. place the filter in the basket
  3. wet the filter with hot water (avoid pouring on yourself)
  4. add grind (15g)
  5. add hot water (250g)
  6. start timer / counting
  7. carefully give it a quick stir
  8. place the basket on the top and press down gently to get a little coffee on the surface (remove air)
  9. once finished timer/counting, flip onto cup (don't need the funnel) and press out
  10. Enjoy coffee.

Probably should go in the coffee thread but whatever.

Associate
The paper filters are more than fine. Just make sure you wet it with hot water once it's in the 'basket'

Certainly fine, but a metallic filter will brew a richer, fuller bodied coffee as it allows more oils from the grounds to reach the cup.
Also convenient to quickly rinse and reuse.

Soldato
Certainly fine, but a metallic filter will brew a richer, fuller bodied coffee as it allows more oils from the grounds to reach the cup.
Also convenient to quickly rinse and reuse.
Which is funny because most of the people that work in industry only use metal ones for ease of use / quick brewing...if they have time they'd rather use the paper ones as it gets a better flavoured coffee out.

Soldato
Got some rubber dressing :cool:

Now the car is ready to rock and r.... I mean sit on the drive for the next few months :/

I'd be interested to know how long it lasts when the car is driven :) I'm running out of the dirt cheap 5l gel tyre dressing I got from my local motor factors, which lasted me a week and a half between needed re-applications. Unfortunately all the new ones seem to be water based compared to whatever is in my current stuff, and don't last anywhere near as long!

I may also need to utilise your Viper4Android setup too whenever I manage to get back in the car. I've given up trying to set it up myself lol :p

Back
Top Bottom