Images of items I have purchased (except trainers)

Caporegime
Treated myself to a new acoustic - wanted a new one for years so bit the bullet and ended up with one of the first Taylor 314ce V-Class off the production line :D

Really lovely to play and compared it to some much more expensive Taylors and Martins but this one just felt the best allrounder.

I love it :)

Whats different with the new V-Class? Is it the bracing?

Soldato
Ignoring the engine it’s a bit like comparing a 10k car with a 100k car. They both let you sit down and control the vehicle but there is a lot more to appreciate in a 100k car. If playing guitar is a big part of your life I’m sure it’s easy to see and appreciate the differences. I personally wouldn’t bat an eyelid at spending £1900 on a main hobby.

Caporegime
Fair enough, wasted on me but then if I tried to make music I'd probably start spawning demons or something. Always boggled my mind when a mate of mine spend £5k on a used Fender Stratocaster. Horses for courses I guess :)

Caporegime
Ignoring the engine it’s a bit like comparing a 10k car with a 100k car. They both let you sit down and control the vehicle but there is a lot more to appreciate in a 100k car. If playing guitar is a big part of your life I’m sure it’s easy to see and appreciate the differences. I personally wouldn’t bat an eyelid at spending £1900 on a main hobby.
I’d imagine that a hell of a lot of people on here have spent more than that on a PC or Mac. Difference being in 10 years time, the guitar will still be worth a lot of money, maybe it’s original value or more. The computer will be worthless.

Soldato
I’d imagine that a hell of a lot of people on here have spent more than that on a PC or Mac. Difference being in 10 years time, the guitar will still be worth a lot of money, maybe it’s original value or more. The computer will be worthless.
Great point - my main two hobbies are guitars and computers, and one depreciates inherently. The other, if you buy quality, keeps on giving and can even appreciate. I just need to play more often :)

Caporegime
£1900 for a guitar :eek:

Explain to me like I'm 5, what can this do that my £40 Lidl jobbie can't do (and that I can't play)

Cheap for a string instrument, you should see the price of violins.

As for value, a Taylor 300 series is unlikely to go up as nice as they are, they are made in the thousands but they might go up because exotic wood being more and more restricted, things like Rosewood now tightly controlled, pretty soon you will need to jump through a lot of hoops to get one.

Anyway, I bought a new lens and some really cheap glasses for a shoot I have in mind in a few months.

nihKuux.jpg

qxEYdhV.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato

Cheers Raymond. Thought you'd appreciate it - could have done with your photographic skills though :)

Yes, different bracing. More controlled sound. It's just a beautiful piece of kit and just a joy to play. My LA8 served it's purpose but started getting hard work to play after 15 years of heavy use.

Nice glassed BTW ^ - I keep meaning to get some Ray Ban aviators.

(MODS - Apologies if it's against the rules to post video in here, it's been a while)

£1900 for a guitar :eek:
Explain to me like I'm 5, what can this do that my £40 Lidl jobbie can't do (and that I can't play)

All due respect but if I have to explain it to you then you likely wouldn't appreciate my response anyway.

Also, if you must know, I didn't pay £1,900 but so what? Look at some of the higher end Taylors, Martins, Gibsons - it really isn't much for a guitar. As others have said, some on here have spent what I spent on this guitar on just their newly released GFX card. I could sell this tomorrow and get almost all of my money back - I could sell this in 10-20 years time and likely still get my money back, or more.

Last edited:
Associate

V-Class bracing changes the direction the sound waves flow when the guitar resonates.

Andy Powers came up with the idea while watching the sea one day, when waves crash together they make a horrible noise and then dissipate quickly whereas if they flow into each other it complements the wave and travels further.

He applied the same-ish theory to the guitar bracing pattern and now you don't get so much conflict in the harmonics and the intonation and sustain are improved as a result.

Is my rough take on it! (I'm sure there is an official source out there)

V-Class will become the new standard... I'll own one someday :o

Caporegime
Cheers Raymond. Thought you'd appreciate it - could have done with your photographic skills though :)

Yes, different bracing. More controlled sound. It's just a beautiful piece of kit and just a joy to play. My LA8 served it's purpose but started getting hard work to play after 15 years of heavy use.

Nice glassed BTW ^ - I keep meaning to get some Ray Ban aviators.

(MODS - Apologies if it's against the rules to post video in here, it's been a while)

All due respect but if I have to explain it to you then you likely wouldn't appreciate my response anyway.

Also, if you must know, I didn't pay £1,900 but so what? Look at some of the higher end Taylors, Martins, Gibsons - it really isn't much for a guitar. As others have said, some on here have spent what I spent on this guitar on just their newly released GFX card. I could sell this tomorrow and get almost all of my money back - I could sell this in 10-20 years time and likely still get my money back, or more.

It wasn't a dig in the least mate, I fully understand wanting the finest items for your hobby, and what you spend on it is of no interest or consequence to me, I was just expressing my surprise that a brand new guitar could command such a high price (for the untrained eye, that is). I hope you enjoy it and rock on man, happy Friday :)

Associate
_DSC3681.jpg

Soldato
It wasn't a dig in the least mate, I fully understand wanting the finest items for your hobby, and what you spend on it is of no interest or consequence to me, I was just expressing my surprise that a brand new guitar could command such a high price (for the untrained eye, that is). I hope you enjoy it and rock on man, happy Friday :)
Yea, sorry, caught me at a bad moment.

It's more than I'd ever thought of spending but hopefully something I can pass on to my children for them to enjoy but get years of pleasure out of it. Have a good one.

Soldato
Yea, sorry, caught me at a bad moment.

It's more than I'd ever thought of spending but hopefully something I can pass on to my children for them to enjoy but get years of pleasure out of it. Have a good one.
Oh yes - you're in for a treat playing that guitar in. It will improve for a while as you play it.

Traditional figures state that a guitar takes 5-6 years to reach its best, and sounds that good for 50-60. Violins are closer to 50-60 to reach peak, and sound best for 500-600. Stradivarius would never have heard his creations at their most beautiful.

Modern designs/materials might throw these numbers off a bit.

Back
Top Bottom