• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Improving the Gainward GTX 580 Phantom 3gb

Associate
So I've had a Gainward GTX 580 Phantom 3gb card for a while. And I've never tampered with it.

So I was wondering, is there some setting tampering that I'm missing out on? Maybe even something I'm completely not using because I never bothered to flick it on?

I'd appreciate any advice from fellow owners :)

Associate
Have you overclocked it? If not download and install Afterburner and see what you can get out of the core. With the cooling on the phantom you should be able to get to 900MHz.

Associate
OP
I've never done overclocking on a Gfx card. Is it fairly straight forward with Afterburner? And with overclocking what will I achieve? A higher fps?

Associate
I've never done overclocking on a Gfx card. Is it fairly straight forward with Afterburner? And with overclocking what will I achieve? A higher fps?

It's as simple as installing AB, moving the slider for the core clock up a bit (~15MHz at a time), testing for stability (use Heaven for this), and then repeating the process until you get artifacts/crashes. Then you dial it back to your last 'good' OC and then you have your max OC. That is unless you want to overvolt. Increasing the voltage a bit will let you achieve higher clocks, but with that comes more heat/power draw/noise.

Back
Top Bottom