In-Ears + mp3 for Running?

Associate
Hey,

I've started to get into running and I had some ultimate ears 700's but they kept falling out! :( So, which do you recommend for running? I was also thinking of buying the Sansa Clip+ as I've seen them highly recommended here, are there any good alternative?! Also, if the headphones had a mic, this would be a bonus as well. Price range, well if they are worth it, I wouldn't mind shelling out around £80 depending if they will stay in my ears :D

thanks

Associate
You should try getting some decent tips (Comply foam or multi-flange tips), wearing them 'over the ear' (looping the cable over the top to silence the vibrations when running) and a shirt clip (to lessen the cable movement), these 3 things will probably allow you to use your current IEMs and at a fraction of the cost of decent sports 'phones.

I really would recommend the Clip+ for sports and music in general, second to that the iTouch is good assuming the later versions have GPS in? I use my Android phone sometimes with SportyPal on to track the distance I've covered.

Associate
OP
yeh thanks! :) I noticed that there is also the sansa clip zip (the updated clip+ i believe) which comes out in just over a week and considering that it is around £18 more than the clip+ is it worth it? But, I do need a new phone so could just look into a gps phone and get some good headphones to go with! :D

Associate
The thing is phones have a lesser sound quality than dedicated music players; it's a trade off and truth be told I usually use my Clip+ and my phone stays in my pocket tracking distance :p

The Zip looks gimmicky to me, there is absolutely no need for a colour screen on such a small player (why do company insist on having video playing ability on everything?!). The Clip+ can be Rockbox'ed out the box, for the Zip it could be months until a port comes up, something to bare in mind if you're considering using Rockbox.

Last edited:
Associate
I'd really consider buying some decent tips for your UE700s and wearing over the ear before you go looking for some sports IEMs, you may find that with something like the Comply Foam you'll have a much better fit that won't fall out when running, and save you a lot of money in the process.

Associate
have a look into Monsters lil Jamz... they are gym and treadmill friendly imo.. and they sound good... avoid the control talk ones tho as im about to send my 2nd pair back as it keeps breaking lol.

Soldato
I use a pair of Soundmagic PL30's with my clip+ when I'm in the gym lifting weights and running on the treadmill, at around the 20 quid mark they are good value for money.

Associate
OP
well my UE 700's broke within their 2 year Warranty so will phone up customer support and hope that they are kind to give me my third pair, I don't see why the wouldn't so I shall use those, failing that I will need to look into a new pair. The Monsters look good as do the others but hopefully I won't need anymore :D I will also probably buy the clip+ as it's a no brainer really!

Associate
I hgad the same problem.

I got a set of the sennheiser sport range.. they never fall out of my ears. SQ is good for running tracks, a little bass heavy but i like that

Associate
OP
okay so logitech are taking their time with the process so may just buy some new ones as I doubt I will get very far :( so the table is open again, need them quite soon so anymore ideas before looking into the Sennheisers or the Monsters??

EDIT: may get some UE300VI's as the rainforest has them really cheap!

Last edited:
Associate
I had the same problem, until I got one of these clips. The only reason they fall out is because the cable is being pulled by your clothes. Put one of these clips on, and they won't budge. The guy in ths pic was the excess wire a bit too long, you may want to make it shorter.

HBH-IS800.jpg

Back
Top Bottom