In garage now can you link me to some front bushes?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Poly bushes will just make the ride harsher and put extra stress on supporting components. I know people often rave on about poly bushes, but if it’s a car used on the road, stick to the Lemforder original parts. Better for road use, and will last a very long time.

Put your reg into Eurocarparts, they will stock the front arm bushes.

Caporegime
OP
Rear shock absorbers blown..drivers side...is worth getting the other side done or should I just wait until that one goes ?

As ever great response and thanks

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Replace suspension components in pairs whenever possible. You'll also want a full 4 wheel alignment done after all this is done.

Soldato
Stock e46 lolipop bushes are garbage I would certainly upgrade while changing, poly ones are fine tbh barely any increase in NVH at all but a drastic improvement to steering.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Stock old ones aren't great, because you know, they're old. New ones are obviously going to be better regardless of type. People often "upgrade" to poly bushes from worm stock ones and marvel at how much better they are.

What a surprise?

Stock new ones will give many years of excellent performance on the road.

Soldato
DSCF0492.jpg

Yeah, look at the great big void in the bush. Doesn't do much to locate the wishbone tightly.

Now look at the M3 bushing.
suspension_e46_m3_control_arm_bushings_front_right_31122229624_1.jpg

No air gap, and full thickness rubber. Nice and strong, holds the wishbone in place. This is why your M3 steering feels way better than the non-M model, and you would not say this is an unacceptable NVH increase in fact you just advocated OEM.

Caporegime
OP
Poly bushes will just make the ride harsher and put extra stress on supporting components. I know people often rave on about poly bushes, but if it’s a car used on the road, stick to the Lemforder original parts. Better for road use, and will last a very long time.

Put your reg into Eurocarparts, they will stock the front arm bushes.

100 quid for the Lemforder :(

Will those ones on eBay last longer? They look different to the ones on euro car parts? Will they Defo fit ?

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
DSCF0492.jpg

Yeah, look at the great big void in the bush. Doesn't do much to locate the wishbone tightly.

Now look at the M3 bushing.
suspension_e46_m3_control_arm_bushings_front_right_31122229624_1.jpg

No air gap, and full thickness rubber. Nice and strong, holds the wishbone in place. This is why your M3 steering feels way better than the non-M model, and you would not say this is an unacceptable NVH increase in fact you just advocated OEM.

But his car isn't an M3, an M3 is designed to be driven hard and fast on road and track, all components are made to support each other, a 330i is designed to waft about in comfort on roads, with its respective components designed to work well together for its purpose. Sticking poly bushes on it will put unnecessary stress on everything else, and result in a harsher ride quality.

That's my whole point.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Oh I thought I read it was a 330 in another thread some time ago :o

Even still, same point stands!

Was the £100 for a pair? You may just be better off ringing Cotswold Cheltenham tomorrow and speak to the parts department, and mentioning you're a BMW forum member to get a 10% discount. Bushes are not hugely expensive. IIRC the ones for my old E46 318Ci Sport were £30-£40 each from ECP.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Not sure what that's supposed to mean, but if you say so?

You're recommending totally unnecessary parts that will only add extra discomfort to ride quality on that car. The standard bushes will get him another 40k+ miles and are absolutely fine for the car.

Caporegime
I think automobile manufacturers could save billions of pounds of development costs by giving parts to Clarkey and asking if they look better.

no one really complains about the steering on the E46 (except maybe internet drift heroes that could feel a pea on the road through the suspension) so the stock part is probably perfectly fine.

Caporegime
OP
Bought some Febi Bilstein front bushes off the rain forest for £29.99

Pair of continental shock absorbers off eBay for £33

And anti roll Febi Bilstein rubber bushes at euro car parts for £10

My car is more Chinese than my local take away :D

Back
Top Bottom