In pain at my desk - can anyone recommend any good ones?

Soldato
I work 80% of the time on a computer, then game and do uni work on my desk at home.

My left arm feels like it's almost losing strength - and aches all the time. Amplifies after using my desk at home, so I guess that's the problem.

It's not very deep and don't have a lot of space to get my chair in a good position. It was bought as a temporary stop gap until we move house in January when I was going to buy a new one, but I think I need one ASAP.

I was thinking of buying the IKEA Malm desk - lots of space and seems relatively deep to rest my arms on, but I would want to see it in person.

Can anyone recommend a good quality desk?

Soldato
we have been using Ikea desks for years now, but the type that have adjustable legs to get the height right. Combine them with a decent chair and fully adjustable screen mount then you will need to spend time getting all three lined up for your correct posture.
Look at Ikeas office desks with adjustable legs.
Andi.

Soldato
Your issue is more likely a combination of bad posture and spending way too much time in front of a computer. A better desk on its own is unlikely to be a magic solution. You need to be in a decent chair, screen at a sensible height (and depth away from you) and sitting, not slouching.

- Get out more, even if its just a 45 minute to an hour walk
- Ask at Uni for advice on ergonomics and posture

I've been where you are and its not pleasant.

Soldato
Get something that let's you choose if you sit or stand at the desk. I use veridesk and have been happy with the product.
Agree with that.Sitting too long is generally not good for healthy either.
Always makes me laugh a bit when I read the advice companies give you. They tell you how to find the right position but then state to change position often which contradicts that :).
I get RSI symptoms sometimes. I find frequent breaks and also using different setups can help. As it's usually always my right arm I have one keyboard without the num pad(tenkeyless Filco) so I can keep the mouse closer to my body. Another keyboard is an ergonomic type. Sometimes at home I'll just use my Laptop on my lap too.

OP - as mentioned above speak to uni about getting advice on posture and ergonomics

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm going to assume your work involves keyboards, and obviously some uni work is typing too - but there is going to be plenty of time not spent typing. Try to move your arm to a more natural position while reading - not hovering over the keyboard. Is the gaming on PC too? Do you use a controller or is it kb/mouse type games?

Re the desk, I'd prefer something 80cm deep but I don't like to be too close to my screen. if it was wall mounted or on a bracket hanging off the back it might be okay. I think Ikea desks are a bit much for what they are but it's a known quantity at least. When you say "don't have a lot of space to get my chair in a good position" do you mean there isn't space to sit directly in front of the desk? Sitting at an odd angle probably won't help.

Whatever height the desk is (it's unlikely you'll get an adjustable one) your chair really needs to be adjustable and probably a foot rest too. Look up desk posture and you'll find lots of what I mean.

Soldato
My current desk is two old cupboards on top of each other while my office is being designed and built. It's too high and causes issues in my shoulders, especially when my chair sinks low.

However, it's at a good height for standing so I do that quite a lot and it does take pressure off.

As already mentioned, standing or sitting there are diagrams explaining the correct way they should fit you as a person. Exercise, strengthen your arms/shoulders. Try the 200 push up challenge. Have breaks often.

Back
Top Bottom