1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

India's space program

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by BIGFOOTTELL, Nov 26, 2009.

1. BIGFOOTTELL

PermaBanned

I was reading a article about india's failed spacecraft which was surposed to last 3 years in orbit of the moon and crashed after just 10 months , Which they say that they have found water and could'nt have been done without them albeit it was a NASA probe on board that detected it , and they where quoted saying One great step for india one one great leap for mankind , I'm sure i've heard that before somewhere and yes it did crash but unlike the USA shuttle columbia no one died , Some what insulting to the family's who lost loved one in tragic shuttle crash I thought .
    But the real question is Why is the uk giving over 4 billion pounds a year to india in aid when they can afford to spend over 6 billion pounds on a pointless space program ????

2. scorza

Caporegime

So that they can take even more of our jerbs. It wouldn't be possible for a select group of the elite to get mega-rich without access to cheap labour.

3. JRS

Capodecina

Why is the Indian space programme pointless?

Also, where did you get "6 billion pounds" from? The Indian Space Research Organisation budget for 2009/10 is a shade over US$1bn. I make that about £600m at the current exchange rate.

4. BIGFOOTTELL

PermaBanned

First of they should be spending thier money on doing some thing about the poverty in india unless they plan to build some house's on the moon and maybe a corner shop LOL

And where did you get your info from I got mine from some reports and that sum of money was also quoted on the BBC program The Big Question and you are only quoting 2009/10 I'm quoting the total cost of that mission

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  5. Frenzy

Soldato

Maybe britain is trying to make up for dividing india. Youre right though, they should be doing more to reduce poverty.

6. JRS

Capodecina

They could spend the entire economy of the western world on eliminating poverty and never manage it.

Traditionally, you type "LOL" after saying something funny. Just FYI.

Quite right, I'm quoting the operating budget for the financial year 2009 to 2010. As in, what they're actually spending year-on-year right now on all their operations.

As I recall, Chandrayaan-1 met 95% of the mission objectives by the time contact was lost with the vehicle due to radiation damage. The mission carried six foreign payload packages in addition to the ISRO ones, all of which were successful (they carried these for free AFAIK). And the cost of the project was US$80m according to here. Not US$6bn. I'd love to know exactly who came up with US$6bn, 'cause they were seemingly talking out of their backside.

Better get your misguided and bizarre objections in soon though, because Chandrayaan-2 will be launching in 2013 (projected cost - US$90m) and will land one Indian and one Russian lunar rover on the surface of the Moon. Can't wait to see it succeed.

7. ChroniC

Sgarrista

Although that is true, I agree that India should spend 80m quid on trying to find clean water for the masses not on the moon.

8. BIGFOOTTELL

PermaBanned

Just because you dont think it's not funny does'nt make true FYI

You seem to be stuck on US$ yet I have only said pounds But I really could'nt care less if they land a wedding party there I'm sure the hungry people in india will feel alot better

9. fez

Capodecina

I tend to agree with the sentiment but then we are not a glowing example of what society could be. We spend billions on aid, military, art, space programs and we still have poverty and homeless and rubbish schools. Every country in the world has a lot of issues that they are trying to deal with but they still spend on things that are not critical to their survival.

Just a quickie to finish with; I think that JRS makes a valid point even if he hasnt made the conversion between pounds and dollars. Its about 1.5 to the pound by the way. Which still doesnt make 80 million dollars into 6 billion pounds.

10. Psycho Sonny

Caporegime

why did britain build the millenium dome? it was a huge waste of money and wasnt even profitable? surely the money should of been spent on britains poverty stricken areas?

11. BIGFOOTTELL

PermaBanned

I agree but a least O2 made something of the dome.

12. JRS

Capodecina

Actually, it does. Didn't you know?

;)

See, that's where you should have stuck the "LOL".

Your six billion pounds figure. At the current exchange rate, I make that US$9,895,442,312.69. Are you seriously contending that the Chandrayaan-1 mission cost that much? Really?

Ah, see that's where you and I differ. I see space exploration and scientific missions both on this planet and outside of it as being something of benefit to every single one of us. Where you see it as a waste because that money could have been spent on food, shelter and clothing. For six weeks, until the money is gone and the next humanitarian crisis begins. But hey, at least we absolved our consciences for that six weeks right?

*sigh*

Question - since your stated position seems to be that India shouldn't spend any money on space missions given the poverty in that country, why should NASA be given the money by Congress that they get (a pittance, but that's a whole other argument)? After all, plenty of folks below the poverty line in the good ol' US of A....Same goes for Europe, can't have a European Space Agency while we have beggars on street corners. And don't even get me started on Russia. So why do we still have space programmes all over the world when there are starving people everywhere? According to you, we should just can the whole lot tomorrow.

Mankind has been to the Moon. We've got probes outside the Solar System. We've landed other probes all over the Solar System, on moons and planets. Our knowledge of science and technology has come on in leaps and bounds precisely because of that competition for space landmark feats between the Americans and the Soviets. But no, we should disband every single space agency tomorrow because some folks are rich and some other folks are poor.

13. craptakular

Capodecina

I agree, wouldn't it be great in a 1000 years if we can harvest Mars for hydrogen to met our energy needs.

You gotta think big.

14. EvilDreams

Wise Guy

....what?

15. JRS

Capodecina

I don't think we're meant to know exactly what BIGFOOTTELL is on about. That way lies madness.

16. Xordium

Capodecina

Glad I am not the only one thinking this ...

We got to get off this rock some day though and the more trying the better. You won't get rid of poverty ever. The more you feed the poor the more mouths they will create to be fed - it has always been as thus.

17. chex

Hitman

Apparently it's insulting for other nations' spacecraft to crash without killing someone, makes the US look bad y'know.

DFID gives about £275M a year...you can't just pull numbers out of a hat.

On a counter, why has the US spent over three trillion dollars on regime change in Asia, the UK has spent over eightten billion (est. by 2010)? The budgetary allocation of other nations is no one's concern but their own citizens'.

You think there's no poverty in the west? (Aside, of course, from the obvious poverty of brain cells in your head)

Why are you people like you losing jobs to Asia? Probably because after 13 years of school they actually learned how to use an apostrophe.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  18. ac1d1ty

Wise Guy

I don't mind thinking big or thinking ahead, but a 1000 years is a joke. The changing nature of the world means that it will in all probability be unrecognisable in 10yrs let alone 1000....

10 years ago we didnt have 9/11, wars in the middle east etc

19. BIGFOOTTELL

PermaBanned

Actually I think sending people like you into space would a good idea as a species we dump rubbish every where so to get rid of a sudo windbag like you would a good start .

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  20. JRS

Capodecina

ROFL.

No need to get all childish , just because I pointed out that your position is insane and your numbers are completely made up.