1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

India's space program

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by BIGFOOTTELL, Nov 26, 2009.

1. wozencl

Hitman

Another troll obsessed with India. :rolleyes:

Did they just beat someone in cricket or something?

2. BIGFOOTTELL

PermaBanned

If you had read the post you would have seen that I did'nt make those numbers up they was quoted on the BBC program the big question as I had stated but you picked on that one little thing and made a big issue from it, As for my position I dont believe we should be giving tax payer's money your's and mine to india or any other country when there are so many things in this country that needs it especially if they can spend large sums of money on things like that , am I insane, possibly but are you qualified to judge I doubt it.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  3. JRS

Capodecina

Yes, I made a big issue of it. Because it was completely ridiculous. The entire Apollo program cost US$145bn (all new launch vehicles, all new craft including one unlike any used so far by the US or Soviets, mission operations costs for the 11 manned missions and several unmanned test ones....), adjusted for current times - and you're contending that the Chandrayaan-1 mission managed to cost nearly 7% of that truly staggering figure just for one single unmanned launch.

I'd love to see a recording of this TV show, or a transcript. Because the figures are just nonsensical.

4. BIGFOOTTELL

PermaBanned

No I'm not contending anything I am merely stating that was the sums of money that was quoted. if you know better then maybe you should put the BBC right.
    And yes I wish you had seen the program then maybe you would stop bashing me around the head over what you think, If I find a reference to this I will certainly post a link for your pleasure.

5. JRS

Capodecina

Please do, because every reference to the mission (and the ISRO as a whole) I can find gives a drastically lower figure. In the meantime, I'm afraid to say my thoughts are that you either got the wrong end of the stick, are deliberately misquoting it to get a reaction, or journalists are retards. Actually, that last one.....

As for the other point you make, regarding them having a space programme while in receipt of aid from the UK and other countries - I still have to ask, so what? That aid tends to do more harm than good anyway, if you believe the interviewee from here. He's talking about Africa, but the points he makes can apply all over the world in nations receiving foreign aid.

There is poverty in the USA. There is poverty in Europe. There is poverty in Russia. There is poverty in China. These places all have active space programmes. Three of them have active manned space programmes (ah Europe, why won't you get your finger out and make that giant leap?). And yet it is India who get criticised for having a fairly basic unmanned programme that has managed to deliver strong results despite the budgetary contraints. I just don't get it.

6. PermaBanned

Capodecina

For that matter, now we're rid of the Milk Snatcher (and have been for ages now), why can't we get out Space Program back? Sure, there's a budgeting problem but i don't think that will be a there for much longer (don't read too much into that).

7. Stolly

Mobster

Dividing it ? We united it. In fact we created it. It was many smaller kingdoms, before we united it under the Raj.

You talking about the formation of Pakistan ? We to blame for Muslims and Hindu's getting along now ? Be serious.

Is this the standard of history education these days ?

8. keyser87

Gangster

lol united? so when the puppet raj was in place Muslims and Hindus got along? Come on, true the formation of pakistan was a silly move but things were no more united under British rule...well maybe everyone hated each other and the British.

9. AFK_Matrix

Wise Guy

I agree with JRS, its not just India that has big issues with poverty etc. And the UK also gives money to ESA for missions etc, should we stop giving this money because with your thinking we should as Europe has poverty too??

Also I believe that we eventually have to get off this Earth, be it due to overpopulation or a catastrophic disaster (Yellowstone park comes to mind, meteorites etc). We have all our eggs in one basket at the moment and the only way to amend that is to continue with spaceflight so we can get off this planet.

10. Neodite

Mobster

Why do we fund any of this stuff in the first place? What do we get in return?

If it's not money then i no matter where they are i dont think we should be throwing money at any countrys "projects"

11. Mikoyan

Mobster

:p

12. Chronictank

Mobster

Ignoring morality,

power - strategic and economic
    stability - cheap nike shoes
    money - the insane interest building on the loans given to them as well as charities being a big business
    resources - In the specific example, Pakistan has oil, coal and so on but no money to build the infrastructure to get at it. A corrupt Pakistan is in the west's favor
    military - who do you think sells them all those tanks

13. Neodite

Mobster

So we have to donate millions to buy stuff of other countries? Yer i still dont see the plus side

14. K1LLSW1TCH

Caporegime

As long as they get given a hefty interest rate then they can borrow all the cash they want.

LOL @ the cheap Nike shoes comment.

15. JRS

Capodecina

Don't think I'll ever get used to people on here agreeing with me. Good thing there are so many who don't, to balance it out.

16. bhavv

PermaBanned

Love this post =D.

But believe me, poverty in India is far far worse than it is in the west.

Also, the British Raj had nothing to do with Hindus and Muslims not getting along, Muslims swarming into the Indian sub continent and trying to force conversions or kill people did.

The OP is just nonsense. I can make up figures too and say I heard them on the BBC or read them in the daily mail, but I wont since I still have a few functioning brain cells.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  17. Evangelion

Capodecina

Fixed.

18. BIGFOOTTELL

PermaBanned

It's a shame those few brain cells and they are just a few are up your back passage I dont care what you believe it was episode 39 25oct BBC1 and those were the figures quoted you can sit playing with yourself all day long but it wont change anything I'm not saying they were right or wrong just that was what was quoted , I must admit it's pretty sad that you lot have'nt something better to do with your sad little life still give's you something to talk about.HAHA

19. lambda

PermaBanned

They took our jeeeebs

20. JRS

Capodecina

So episode 39 of "The Big Questions" from Sunday October 25th. Well, a quick spot of Googling hasn't turned up a transcript or copy of the programme so I guess I'll never be able to show for certain that the figures you quoted are way off base. Hey ho. Life goes on, and Chandrayaan-2 will be launched in a couple of years on another scientific expedition (with the added bonus of annoying people like you :)).