Infiniti to become Red Bull title sponsor

Man of Honour
Makes sense and I agree with article. Infinity has been very sucesfull at marketing themself off the back of RBR. If you watch youtube motors porting videos like the drive series.
RBR/infinity are always doing events/interviews.

Caporegime
Puts to rest the rumours that they are going to drop Renault engines.

Will this mean the engines get rebranded? That was the plan a couple of years back when they first started carrying Infiniti logos, but they stuck with the Renault branding. I would imagine if Renault are supplying more than one top team they could choose to split the branding? Maybe brand some Renault, some Infiniti, and maybe even Nissan too?

Soldato
I would imagine if Renault are supplying more than one top team they could choose to split the branding? Maybe brand some Renault, some Infiniti, and maybe even Nissan too?

They could even brand the cars uniquely dependant on the country they are racing in too, for example badged as 'Samsung' in Korea as they do Renaults here (the very few like for like models they sell that is)

Caporegime
They could do that with the logos on the car, but not with the actual name of the engine supplier.

The team name and the engine supplier are fixed for the whole season unless something changes. They could still cover the cars in different logos (like McLaren did with Verizon in Austin), but the team name would remain the same.

It will be interesting to see if RBR change their constructor name to Infiniti Red Bull Racing Renault, or if they drop the Renault off the end.

Actually no, just checked, F1 constructors are always labeled chassis-engine, so it would be Red Bull - Renault or Red Bull - Infiniti. And I'm not even sure they could do that as the name in the chassis or engine constructor bit needs to be the company or individual that owns the interlectual property. I wonder if Renault would be able to use Infiniti as a name?

So it looks like the team will become Infiniti Red Bull Racing while the constructor will remain Red Bull - Renault.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Is this a move towards Mateschitz gettting out of F1, and RBR slowly turning into a manufacturer team?

Quite possibly. I've always thought that RBR never struck me as a long term thing like Ferrari or McLaren. There will come a time when they are no longer winning everything and Red Bull will want out.

Back
Top Bottom