Informal interview

Soldato
Hello.

i have an interview for a new job on Wednesday. when called it about the women said it will just be an informal interview. what would you expect from that? its been years since i have moved jobs and not interviewed in a long time.

Soldato
What's the job? Is this the only interview round? There are a few variables, but you may not get a skills or aptitude test, or some other final pre-screening measure, under the informal label. The rest is highly dependent on company size, how they handle HR and other runners in the process.

I was in informal 'chats' that lasted several hours with a full panel and covered everything about my past work history, the role and the company; likewise I had 'interviews' where I had the job the moment I walked through the door, and it was mostly a case of making sure I liked and was liked by the people I would be working with.

At minimum: know yourself (your CV and job application!); know the company (they have a website/social media presence for a reason); stay calm. If you find yourself in a position where the interviewer is selling the job to you/grand tour - be positive and take active interest. Don't forget that you will be finding out about the business at the same time as they'll be finding out about you - prepare some questions and add some on the day if you see/hear something you like or don't like.

Good luck.

Caporegime
It sounds like BS tbh... you've got an interview! I'd just treat it as that.

IMHO I'd have thought an "informal interview" would be better used in one of two ways:

a) You're not actually applying for a specific job but you're interested in working in the sector and someone has kindly agreed to chat to you, give you feedback about your potential in that industry. It is not a job interview. Perhaps someone in academia is interested in working in industry/a tech firm, maybe someone leaving the armed forces in a year's time wants to find out about their potential career options in a particular industry, perhaps an ambitious student/6th former who has used their initiative to reach out to someone etc... The interview is for the candidate to seek information and the interviewer to meet a potential future candidate.

b) You're an experience hire/a known quantity who has come recommended by people who have already worked with you, or indeed you're rather senior. They want to meet with you informally over coffee in order to potentially make you an offer and poach you from your current employer.

It doesn't sound like either of those scenarios.

Caporegime
For me informal interviews are just more friendly.
Same prep, different atmosphere. All my last 3 interviews were 'informal'
To me just feels like the atmosphere is less official .
Obviously I still wore a suit to all 3 and had same questions. Just no tests or panel

Back
Top Bottom