Information on Apricot Workstation

Associate
Recently I found this old machine dumped in a skip. Taking a guess it was probably thrown out after a house clearance from a deceased elderly person where it's probably been laying in a box for over 15 years. It's an Apricot Xen-i 386/45 Model No: SX345 manufactured by the Apricot Computers on Feb 1989. The specs from what I can see from a brief overview are an Intel 80386-16 (16MHz), 512KB or 1MB of RAM, 46MB HDD and a 720KB 3.5 floppy. Here's some pictures:

I have searched online for information on these machines and there is very little available so was wondering if anyone here has any experience with these or knows anything about them? They appear to have been high end workstations that were targeted at businesses. I'm trying to find a manual for it should any even exist but for this specific model I can't find any info anywhere, not a single reference for the model "SX345". Unfortunately this one does not have the keyboard, mouse or phone attachment that I believe it once came with. It's possible it was in the skip I found it in but at the time I wouldn't have even known about it or even tried looking. There was nothing else relating to it in the spot I found it in so I'm going to assume it wasn't or was unfortunately buried under multiple feet of rubbish.

I have powered it on it half expecting it to trip the power or go up in smoke but it booted fine, LEDs light up, HDD spinning and only beeping due to an error. It's most likely just the battery but without knowing what the beep sequence means I can't diagnose properly. When I get the time I'm going to de-solder the battery and replace it then try again. I also don't have a display to hook up to it and will have to look into that later.

It's also surprising clean for something over 30 years old, the inside is almost immaculate with only a thin layer of industrial dirt with minor corrosion on the metal chassis. The case is pretty battered with cracks in multiple places and the battery surprisingly is still outputting 0.02V after all this time.

Last edited:
Associate
Apricot were a high end British manufacturer. They made almost IBM compatibles (ie. not quite compatible!) and priced themselves out of the markets they aimed at. Had crazy expensive things like LCD displays on the keyboards.

That must be one of their later models, probably was IBM compatible by that point.

Over engineered and good looking kit unable to compete with the arrival of Compaq, Dell, Amstrad etc (think Bentley /jaguar Vs MG/Rover in the 80s!)

Good luck with it.

Soldato
I do recall someone posting on here a while back where they'd picked one up from somewhere, but there was a password on the system that couldn't be removed.

Associate
OP
Sorry for belated answer but I remember that these used to beep on power up when no keyboard was detected. Have you found one that you could plug in ?

Only just seen your post, sorry. No I don't have the keyboard that went with this, nothing else was present where I found it or I just didn't see it. It beeps on power up but until I get a display that works with it I won't know what it's beeping about.

Soldato
Only just seen your post, sorry. No I don't have the keyboard that went with this, nothing else was present where I found it or I just didn't see it. It beeps on power up but until I get a display that works with it I won't know what it's beeping about.

Most PCs of that era would halt on boot if there was no keyboard but also if the BIOS battery has gone bad then it probably needs to hard drive parameters reentering into the BIOS.

If the keyboard port of a 5 pin din then it shouldn't be too hard to find one, if not then PS2 keyboard can be used with an adaptor.

Back
Top Bottom