1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Informative Youtube videos

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by anything I don't mind, Jun 12, 2012.

1. anything I don't mind

PermaBanned

This is a thread for philosophy, psychology, cosmology, anthropology, sociology, economics, history, education, climate and environment, prohibition, wars and empire, politics and similar videos/lectures/debates.

Update 14/10/12 - Due to the documentary thread being deleted. Documentaries are now allowed.

Please don't post any documentaries from the mainstream TV that are in the form of a TV show.

Ill start by posting two videos.

This guy has made some good videos, you should check out his videos on marxism and feminism, very interesting. Sure to offend a few people... Always like to have my opinions challenged.

Peter Schiff makes some very informative videos and if you look through his channel you can view some interesting videos on economic related topics. Check out his channels videos.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  2. Skunkworks

Soldato

You say no full docs, but then post a 1:12 vid? As long as there's a decent description of the vid people can choose whether to invest the time or not.

EDIT:

I'm always looking for documentaries on interesting subjects, so it might be nice to have a few recommendations.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  3. Naffa

Capodecina

4. StriderX

Capodecina

An obvious one for Education.

11-12 minutes long documentary about how public education is not shaping up in this century.

Perhaps the OP could be a conduit for these videos, obviously categorised and put in spoiler tags to lessen the load?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  5. V-Spec

Mobster

The inconceivable nature of nature

Magnets

6. anything I don't mind

PermaBanned

That was a lecture not a documentary. I made those basic requests so it doesn't full up with documentaries, because that is not realy what I was looking for from the thread. There is already a documentary thread and i know people would end up posting discovery channel rubbish etc.

If someone thinks a description would help then add one. But they don't have to, ill take it that if someone posts a video it is interesting enough and if is not my thing ill just close it.

7. Castiel

Capo Crimine

Eugenie Scott on why Science is Agnostic.

Eugenie C. Scott, Executive Director of the National Center for Science Education, Inc. explores how the failure of Intelligent Design to survive a legal test of its constitutionality led it to evolve new strategies which call for teaching the "strengths and weaknesses of evolution" or the "critical analysis of evolution" which are creationism in disguise. (57mins)

Rabbi Jonathan Sachs on Particularism v Universalism.

The Case for God (Rabbi Sachs and guests including Colin Blakemore, Lisa Jardine, Alain de Botton, and Howard Jacobson)

Part One (14mins)

Part two (15mins)

8. Trusty

Capodecina

...i think just all documentaries or clips that people have watched and found informative could be posted here. Good idea!

9. DisrupTor75

Wise Guy

A very informative viewpoint from Robert Fisk on "The Age of the Warrior" in reference to the media in times of war & peace.

10. anything I don't mind

PermaBanned

Thanks great videos so far :D

Milton Friedman on freeing up the media industry.

Free to choose series 10 parts with a short introduction by Arnold. Free to choose a video series on economics that I can't recommend enough. They should show this too school children!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3N2sNnGwa4

Ok I did say no docs so i'll just post a link. :p

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  11. Laher

Gangster

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  12. steve-h

Mobster

13. Laher

Gangster

Peter Schiff (Y) I remember watching his videos many years ago on TED.

14. anything I don't mind

PermaBanned

Linus Torvalds the founder of linux talks with students and developers. This is fairly new just found it on reddit.

15. anything I don't mind

PermaBanned

American Enterprise Institute fellow Charles Murray discusses his controversial new book, Coming Apart, about what American was, is, and will become.

I am not an advocate for class based classifications but he raises some interesting points.

16. RagingBull

PermaBanned

Pretty much sums up the leftist today they're just as bad in this country.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  17. elmarko

Capodecina

TED - Great mix of technology & ethics.

RSA - A little more political than the above but plenty of good material.

Qualiasoup & Theramin tree's (youtube channels) - Religion, logic, critical thinking, death, transactional analysis (I'll add the video links when I get back home) - or somebody is free to beat me too it ;).

The entire RSA animate series is a great short vid on a variety of subjects, guessing from one of the above descriptions (youtube blocked so can't see any vids here atm) you already have the Ken Robinson talk on education.

Also Sam Harris on "The illusion of free will" is most definitely a must watch.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  18. elmarko

Capodecina

Yeah..., you are a balanced individual.

19. RagingBull

PermaBanned

The people in that documentary don't have extreme or hateful views, but the left act like they do. They can't debate anything, they just call them names and threaten them.

20. elmarko

Capodecina

From reading previous posts you made, are have a warped & twisted view of reality.

You feel no sympathy over the massacre of children, blame the left for Anders Breivik & think you can generalise "the left" the way you do.

I doubt you even know the first thing about what left wing ideology is even about.

But back on topic, it's already been side-stepped by flame-bait/flawed post with a "OMG STUPID LEFT LOL" style message.