Injury at work Question

Associate
Say if you were to have an accident which resulted in 7 week sick note, an accident that could have been prevented if provided with the right equipment and in a roundabout sort of way you been told that your only getting ssp.

Also it’s evident that risk assessment has not done properly, safety guards removed, wrong type of ppe issued,Accident book as probably not been filled out or reported under riddor.

I’m asking for a friends next door nabours brothers cat.

Would you seek compensation?
What are the downsides?
Never done this before so I don’t know what to expect

Soldato
Say if you were to have an accident which resulted in 7 week sick note, an accident that could have been prevented if provided with the right equipment and in a roundabout sort of way you been told that your only getting ssp.

Also it’s evident that risk assessment has not done properly, safety guards removed, wrong type of ppe issued,Accident book as probably not been filled out or reported under riddor.

What are the downsides?

Next door what?

Being a cat, I'd definitely **** through their letter box.

Caporegime

What are the downsides?

If all the above is true I'd be reporting them to HSE.

Soldato
A woman whom I used to work last week was awarded over £13,000.

She tripped over a box in a hallway, fell over bumped her knee that then swelled up. She was off work with it for the rest of the week.

A friends sister was involved in a serious car crash 2years ago resulting in multiple operations (caused by a ******** driving too fast and hitting the stationary vehicle at around 60 in a 30). He had to pay a £60 fine meanwhile despite all her injuries (multiple breaks, MH and general pains etc) the insurer has so far only coughed up £7,000 or so but has been out of work since then (note she was due to start a £30k a year job at the time)

Justice is apparently not just blind but stupid

Associate
Ask for written proof of risk assessments, standard operating procedures for the work being carried out.
Are near misses recorded to help prevent accidents? Why not.
Was accident book filled out. If not why not.
Were you trained in carrying out the task and it's documented and you have signed a training matrix to say you have been trained and understood it.
If there is a union at your work as it doesn't sound like they push for all of these bog standard requirements.
Or they just know it's easy to win with none of the above in place.

Get a claim in..

Associate
OP
Ask for written proof of risk assessments, standard operating procedures for the work being carried out.
Are near misses recorded to help prevent accidents? Why not.
Was accident book filled out. If not why not.
Were you trained in carrying out the task and it's documented and you have signed a training matrix to say you have been trained and understood it.
If there is a union at your work as it doesn't sound like they push for all of these bog standard requirements.
Or they just know it's easy to win with none of the above in place.

Get a claim in..
To me the risk assessments seem nonexistent.

If I make a claim the money will help but what about carrying on working there?

I Don’t plan to stay long term but sometimes plans don’t always work out, I don’t want working there to be unpleasant long term. This is the only thing stopping me from picking up the phone.

Soldato
I'd I had access to the risk assessment, area and book I'd be taking photos of those unless a policy prohibited it.

then yeah id be onto the HSE to whistleblow over it

Caporegime
I Don’t plan to stay long term but sometimes plans don’t always work out, I don’t want working there to be unpleasant long term. This is the only thing stopping me from picking up the phone.
It sounds like you're looking for a payout but don't want to upset the people who will pay you. You probably need to make a call on which one of these two things you want to do.

Associate
OP
A woman whom I used to work last week was awarded over £13,000.

She tripped over a box in a hallway, fell over bumped her knee that then swelled up. She was off work with it for the rest of the week.

A friends sister was involved in a serious car crash 2years ago resulting in multiple operations (caused by a ******** driving too fast and hitting the stationary vehicle at around 60 in a 30). He had to pay a £60 fine meanwhile despite all her injuries (multiple breaks, MH and general pains etc) the insurer has so far only coughed up £7,000 or so but has been out of work since then (note she was due to start a £30k a year job at the time)

Justice is apparently not just blind but stupid
13k for a bruised knee, I should be getting quite a bit then.

That’s really ****ty about your friends sister. My friend was in an accident last month he got £2000 for banging his head on the door window and whiplash.

Soldato
What actually happen, do you share at least some of the blame?

You have to remember that you will seem a lot less appealing to hire if you come across as someone who looks to blame their company or someone looking for a bit of a payout. Not an issue if you plan to move on and don't need the reference but i will add that some of the smaller industries where people seem to know each-other, claims like this can be fairly damaging.

Man of Honour
depends on the company, however, if its a large company, this generally doesn't cause any issue and you will find many people have made claims.

Associate
OP
It sounds like you're looking for a payout but don't want to upset the people who will pay you. You probably need to make a call on which one of these two things you want to do.
Tbh I wasn’t thinking of putting a claim in if it wasn’t for that comment about me only getting ssp.
I’m not bothered about who I upset, I just don’t want my life to get more difficult.
Although with a little super high tec covert servalience I could squeeze another claim out of them.

Making a claim would only benefit me financially short term, but benefit every one long term by safer working conditions. I think going to take one for the team.

I made a phone call it has not been reported under riddor.

Ok guys if your an employer would rather an employee make a claim or talk to you with a demand of a nice pay rise and heath and safety issues fixed?

Associate
Would they listen to you and implement any changes? or give you your wages instead of ssp and carry on as normal.
Any discrimination after you put a claim in make them aware you are recording/ writing down anything that is said to you.
If they do discriminate then they had no intention of raising the standards at your work anyway.

Back
Top Bottom