Installing a power outlet half way up internal exposed brick wall

Associate
Is there a way of doing this without ruining the wall? I've found a few tutorials using fireplaces but the wall is one that goes to next door and it's an old house.

ThFt1Hq.jpg

Soldato
If you're not willing to make channels in the wall to hide the cable then I guess the best option might be some retro-looking metal conduit to make it a feature, rather than white plastic trying & failing to blend in with the wall. Then fit as surface pattress box & outlet plate to match and away you go.

Soldato
MICC works too but, whatever solution you choose, you're going too have something visible running up the wall.
Unless you're like a mate of mine who thought you could just mount a box on the wall and it'd work. No wiring, just mount it. :confused: Then again, he was also the guy who was complained that his new powerbank stopped working after 3 days. He'd received it fully charged and plugged into his phone and that was that. Never re-charged it. Evidently he thought it was some sort of infinite power device. :D I had to talk him out of leaving a snotty review online.

Associate
OP
I love that guy :)

Yeah. I don't want it to be visible. I wondered whether behind the brick there was something else and, if so, whether there's a way of drilling one hole and then, you know, fishing a wire somehow; if that makes sense.

Soldato
Pfft, clearly too many people following the book here.

Chase the cement out in a concertina effect to where you need it, re-mortar and paint. Angle grinder and mortar gun would make it a couple of hours work. A bit like repointing a wall but you've hidden a cable.

Associate
I think a metal clad socket and some galvanised conduit would look fine on a white painted brick wall. Like some trendy bar or gallery or something!

Dave

Soldato
Pfft, clearly too many people following the book here.

Chase the cement out in a concertina effect to where you need it, re-mortar and paint. Angle grinder and mortar gun would make it a couple of hours work. A bit like repointing a wall but you've hidden a cable.

I suppose it would be doable, although what should be a 10 minute job will likely take you 10 days to dig out the mortar, lay the cables, then refil and paint.

Soldato
Then again, he was also the guy who was complained that his new powerbank stopped working after 3 days. He'd received it fully charged and plugged into his phone and that was that. Never re-charged it. Evidently he thought it was some sort of infinite power device. :D I had to talk him out of leaving a snotty review online.
Fabulous :D

Associate
Not good practice to have wires running in wiggly lines in a wall. Plus I'm not sure about cutting a backbox into a single skin, non plastered wall. Surface mount is the way to go. If you want to make it more subtle use some small paintable trunking so it will partly blend in with the wall.

Dave

Soldato
Not good practice to have wires running in wiggly lines in a wall. Plus I'm not sure about cutting a backbox into a single skin, non plastered wall. Surface mount is the way to go. If you want to make it more subtle use some small paintable trunking so it will partly blend in with the wall.

Dave
Paintable trunking is pretty grim IMO.

Embrace the look and get some metal piping. In London, it'll cost you double for exposed wiring and surface mount backboxes. Especially if they are government approved, BSI metal ones lol.

Soldato
Where’s the wire going to come from?

Could you run it up the corner (there’s another wire there already) and then just bury it in the mortar for the horizontal run to the middle of the wall?

Associate
OP
Paintable trunking is pretty grim IMO.

Embrace the look and get some metal piping. In London, it'll cost you double for exposed wiring and surface mount backboxes. Especially if they are government approved, BSI metal ones lol.
That’s not a bad about. But it may be a little much. It’s for one of these guys:

I don’t know whether a non-recessed power outlet would fit

Associate
OP
Where’s the wire going to come from?

Could you run it up the corner (there’s another wire there already) and then just bury it in the mortar for the horizontal run to the middle of the wall?
Yes. That’s a great idea. And I think probably the solution.
I think this is the sort of thing that I would really mess up myself however. Need to find some quotes in the uk. No idea how much it should cost.

Soldato
Yes. That’s a great idea. And I think probably the solution.
I think this is the sort of thing that I would really mess up myself however. Need to find some quotes in the uk. No idea how much it should cost.
You may struggle to get it done 'legit' as I doubt it's up to any sort of official code. Handy man... Possibly. No more than an hour or two work apart from paint.

Make a feature of it. Galvanised trunking and an exposed galvanised socket will look super cool. I mean, it's an exposed painted brick wall so roll with the punches.

Associate
OP
You may struggle to get it done 'legit' as I doubt it's up to any sort of official code. Handy man... Possibly. No more than an hour or two work apart from paint.

Make a feature of it. Galvanised trunking and an exposed galvanised socket will look super cool. I mean, it's an exposed painted brick wall so roll with the punches.

Well the socket will be covered by the thing I'm putting up. Let me look up galvanised trunking. I'd need it elsewhere too I think. though I do like the industrial feel.
:)

Soldato
Well the socket will be covered by the thing I'm putting up. Let me look up galvanised trunking. I'd need it elsewhere too I think. though I do like the industrial feel.
:)
Comes in black too. Could look really smart if you tie it with other bits and pieces. I have bits from the John Lewis Calia range which would tie in a treat - and if you don't want to spend that much, people make to order loads of knock-offs on Etsy for reasonable £.

Back
Top Bottom