1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing old dvd drive in new computer

Discussion in 'Optical Storage & Writing' started by Dougie247, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Dougie247

Associate

Hey guys i recently ordered the Titan Dagger system to replace my old pc..

I didnt bother with a new dvd drive as i will only be using it to install windows..

The dvd drive from the old computer is an Asus DRW-2014L1T and the new motherboard is a Intel Z97 (Socket 1150) ATX Motherboard.. Am i right in thinking they should be compatible?

Alternately i still have my Seagate Desktop HDD ST1000DM003 which i have my windows installation.. This should also be compatible with the the new motherboard?

Sorry for the questions but i havent built a system in ages and just wanted some clarification

Cheers

Dougie

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  2. modd1uk

Gangster

The dvd drive assuming your case has space for it should drop straight in (and the dvd-rw is sata).

Same story with the HDD, if the case has space for it it'll fit and plug in fine.

3. Dougie247

Associate

thankyou so much :)

4. modd1uk

Gangster

No problem buddy, good luck ! :D.

5. jbh110tdi

Wise Guy

looking at that system you should have space to put youre dvd rom into the tower so you shouldn't have a problem.

you could also fit the drive but you would need to do a fresh install or you will have driver problems.

do you have a windows disc or iso? which version of windows are you installing? you could use a USB to install it does it so much quicker.

6. Unluckyalf

Hitman

If its just a temporary solution you were after..
    I recently bought a NUC which obviously has no space for a DVD ROM drive. So, instead i used the guts from an old HDD caddy (external not portable) and hooked it up via USB. Not the fastest solution by a long way, but this ways its semi portable which is helpful as i havent built a system with a CD drive in years

7. TheVoice

Capodecina

You can install Windows via a USB stick.

8. ANDARIAL

Soldato

Uhhh guys this thread is from 2016:p

9. TheVoice

Capodecina

Curses, I usually don't get caught out by thread necros.

10. ANDARIAL

Soldato

:DHappens to us all