installing windows 7 on an external HDD

Associate
Hi, I recently ordered the parts for my first ever computer build :D. 4 of them came today, the cpu, the ram, the dvd drive and the psu. within the next 2 days the mobo should come. However... The ssd I have ordered to be my boot drive will not be here for another 2 weeks, and im really eager to build it and have it up and running so...

originally I planned on installing windows on my ssd and then using my external hard drive as storage, as I currently do. I'm thinking now, is it possiblt for me to install windows on my hdd without a risk of loosing ANY of the data currently on their? then just delete the OS off there when the ssd comes and start again?

If this is possible can someone briefly explain how? I'm assuming create a partition?

Thanks a lot

Associate
A quick google found this - it's doable, but there's a fair bit of faffing involved, and there will obviously be a significant performance hit due to the limitations of the USB interface.

Personally I wouldn't use an external HDD as a primary data store either - apart from the aforementioned performance issues, they're intrinsically more vulnerable to damage by their very nature. If I were you, I'd order an additional HDD to install internally along with your SSD, and just use the USB drive for backup and/or occasional access to non-critical data.

Don
I assume it's a usb2 drive? Performance will be rotten as an Os drive and rotten as a data drive. Order an internal hard drive for your data and keep the external as a backup

Back
Top Bottom