Insurance can't replace my beloved Note 3 - What option?

Soldato
So my screen smashed on my cherished note 3 that I have had for the best part of 4 years, they cannot replace it and have offered the following, which would you take - can a poll be added?

• iPhone 6s 16gb
  • Samsung A510 16gb
  • Sony Xperia z3 plus
  • Sony Xperia X compact
  • Sony Xperia XA
  • £300
I am not fussed about getting a new phone at this stage as I am planning to get the Note 8 when its released and have a Redmi Note 4 in the interim. Are any of these phones worth playing around with? I have never had an iPhone - is the 6s worth it? Whats the views on the Sony's?

Thanks in advance

Soldato
The Z3+ is the best specced phone out of all those choices Android wise. I would say the X Compact is good as well but the small screen may feel too small for you after using the Note 3.

The 6s is fine as well but 16gb is tiny. And the screen is 4.7" so again like the X Compact may feel too small.

The Galaxy A5 (2016 model) is fine for basic use but it only has 2GB RAM which may affect multitasking. However the UI will be similar to the Note 3 and maybe the Note 8 so you'll feel right at home with it. The XA is pretty similar to it as well spec wise but it has a smaller battery so may not last as long.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Nice one, thanks for the detailed feedback - would you suggest going for the £300 and getting another phone? I have noticed a member is selling a Note 5 on the forums which is tempting me!

Soldato
Definitely take the cash. Pick up a Note 5. Try and avoid a curved screen like the S7 edge. You'll find it more of an annoyance than useful. Oneplus might be a good option for you, or maybe an LG V20 if you like the bigger screen.

As you've been Android for at least 4 years, then that rules out the iPhone. All of the other phones are smaller than the Note 3 which would be a factor if you still want a Note-sized phone. I'd take the cash and get a Note 4 or a 5 as Orcvader suggested. There is also the Samsung Galaxy Mega II at 6.0" although that is a bit lower spec IIRC.

Associate
Had money not have been an option, I probably would've gone for the iPhone, just for the heck of it since you've got an interim phone and are already used to Android.

Not much point if you don't actually need a phone and there's a cash option though.

Back
Top Bottom