Insurance companies are bonkers

Soldato
They can't know all the fudges, theres to many combinations :D

But if you lie about your job how will they even know? Especially retrospectively. They don't have access to that data, only what you tell them. So what's the point in having it to begin with.

Last edited:
Soldato
They can't know all the fudges, theres to many combinations :D

But if you lie about your job how will they even know? Especially retrospectively. They don't have access to that data, only what you tell them. So what's the point in having it to begin with.

Well presumably they'd check with your employer? I can't imagine it ever happening but it would be pretty easy if they wanted to.

Soldato
Ultimately, it's fraud? If you end up in court because of a collision, you really don't want to be resting on a made up risk profile because it could well come out whether your insurer is the one asking or not.

Asim, you seem to be under the impression that insurers aren't regulated and can do what they like. More power to you if you really believe that, but as Basher has now asked you at least twice, what improvement do you suggest that won't increase premiums on average (i.e. don't increase the costs of determining risk)?

Commissario
Well presumably they'd check with your employer? I can't imagine it ever happening but it would be pretty easy if they wanted to.

IIRC it does actually happen if the claim is big enough or enough red flags are raised.

I don't think they're really that worried about cases where the two job descriptions are very similar or there is a lot of overlap, but if you deliberately put down the wrong information and it's clearly wrong when they check they can from memory amend how much your premium should have been or if it's blatant fraud and would have stopped them offering you insurance, they have the option of paying out the claim to the third parties and then going after you for the money.

Insurance companies don't have the time/resources to check every new customer fully but the law does make it clear that the customer has to be honest with them.

Soldato
IIRC it does actually happen if the claim is big enough or enough red flags are raised.

I don't think they're really that worried about cases where the two job descriptions are very similar or there is a lot of overlap, but if you deliberately put down the wrong information and it's clearly wrong when they check they can from memory amend how much your premium should have been or if it's blatant fraud and would have stopped them offering you insurance, they have the option of paying out the claim to the third parties and then going after you for the money.

Insurance companies don't have the time/resources to check every new customer fully but the law does make it clear that the customer has to be honest with them.

Seems fair. Which is why I suspect the vast majority are (rightly) honest when they take out the insurance.

Soldato

I've had a write off before and they never checked it, only my licence. But as I said, you could easily just register a Ltd company for £15 and then you are geniunly a company director which they can look up at companies house :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I've had a write off before and they never checked it, only my licence. But as I said, you could easily just register a Ltd company for £15 and then you are geniunly a company director which they can look up at companies house :D

What about the 'too many combinations' of fudges? Surely some of those involve being dishonest?

Soldato

If that's your primary occupation how do you afford a car and car insurance? :p

Soldato
From my uni days the following sticks in my mind when it comes to insurance http://www.brodies.com/node/1635
In simple terms lying on an insurance policy is bad. Failing to disclose something that one could reasonably be expected to disclose is also bad weather they ask you or not.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
well just been onto tesco about my renewal was £510, been on gocompare coming it at £391.
the guy at tesco took the reference number and price matched it.
i also added protected no claims and keyfob cover came in at £412 for the year.
oh and reduced the voluntary excess to zero was £100 last year.

guy was very helpful and wanted to keep me as a customer and he did.

magic.

Back
Top Bottom