Insurance companies watch what addresses you 'try' on compare sites

Soldato
This may be common knowledge but it was a first for me.

I recently took out a policy for new insurance. At first I used a comparison site, in the end I went direct to the company because I could benefit from topcashback.

Anyway, during one of the searches on the comparison site I changed the address to another location as a family member wanted to know, out of interest, what the difference was where they lived. I did so and thought nothing of it.

Got a call from the insurance company today asking about that address, if the vehicle was linked to any other address as they spotted this search (all I did was update the address, saw the quote, then change it back). Little bit of confirmation and proof of address later and i'm all good.

So tip - save yourself some headaches and if you're going insurance shopping and may have a reason to put another address in (second home, interest) - they can see this stuff (more so if you give the license plate of the car as I did).

They saw these searches on a comparison site even though I didn't actually use the comparison site to buy.

Edit:

Something I didn't add to the OP.

I did actually have to pay more. Long story short when they asked if i'd been a resident at my address since birth I said yes but I'd spent a few years overseas (traveling). Apparently they count this as time away if more than 6 months so I had to pay another 60 quid....just for them to edit my details. All they did was change my 'time lived at address' from birth to a few years after. Naturally this had a charge s which was over £70 but I asked for a requote and it came out about £60 more expensive afterwards anyway.

Robbing gits.

They seem to be wise to you checking their site because when I tried to do a quote with her on the phone it said sorry we can't give you a quote at this time (even with hidden number plate). When I tried just now using random names, numbers and close details it gave me a quote 4x the original quote and also said they cannot offer direct debit option, so clearly they are running credit checks at the same time.

Last edited:
Soldato
This may be common knowledge but it was a first for me.

I recently took out a policy for new insurance. At first I used a comparison site, in the end I went direct to the company because I could benefit from topcashback.

Anyway, during one of the searches on the comparison site I changed the address to another location as a family member wanted to know, out of interest, what the difference was where they lived. I did so and thought nothing of it.

Got a call from the insurance company today asking about that address, if the vehicle was linked to any other address as they spotted this search (all I did was update the address, saw the quote, then change it back). Little bit of confirmation and proof of address later and i'm all good.

So tip - save yourself some headaches and if you're going insurance shopping and may have a reason to put another address in (second home, interet) - even if it's they can see this stuff (more so if you give the license plate of the car as I did).

They saw these searches on a comparison site even though I didn't actually use the comparison site to buy.

Wow... I'd have told them to go away.

Associate
I suppose it's down to people selecting various family or friends addresses and recording it at the cheapest one whilst having it at their own.

Soldato
We had a bit of hassle with Hastings when renewing my GF's policy, she has a provisional licence, but when doing the quote we accidentally clicked continue without changing from the default full UK option. Spotted straight away, went back, and selected the provisional option, then purchased with the correct details. A couple of days later got a letter saying due to that quote they would cancel the policy unless we sent them proof she had a provisional... :rolleyes:

Associate
You have to be careful and vigilant about what comes your way with things like this.

Very careful, i mean scammers and hackers can use this info in a way to con you not just advertising only.

If you don't know contact the genuine people or company to say what is going on if your not sure without clicking any links or whatever, zilch of that.

Varying on how it is after contacting genuine people this will help to keep you more secure online etc if you contact them to see what is going on etc and if the details were right and if it was right about your details you may ask them to help protect you against all of that if they detect any invalid scamming requests or whatever you see.

It can look very genuine so be careful, and think twice.

Plus phishing or ransomware or malware can easily use this info etc, so be careful what you click as well.

Dan.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You have to be careful and vigilant about what comes your way with things like this.

Very careful, i mean scammers and hackers can use this info in a way to con you not just advertising only.

If you don't know contact the genuine people or company to say what is going on if your not sure without clicking any links or whatever, zilch of that.

Varying on how it is after contacting genuine people this will help to keep you more secure online etc if you contact them to see what is going on etc and if the details were right and if it was right about your details you may ask them to help protect you against all of that if they detect any invalid scamming requests or whatever you see.

It can look very genuine so be careful, and think twice.

Plus phishing or ransomware or malware can easily use this info etc, so be careful what you click as well.

Dan.

I had a missed call on my phone which it identified as Hastings direct. I called them back using the phone number on their website.

Soldato
At least they asked you about it, Admiral just notified me they'd be debiting more money for my 'undeclared' modifications that I didn't actually have but had test quoted on a comparison site.

I learnt my lesson about test quoting with real details then.

Soldato
They'd probably tell him the same thing and cancel the policy. "Have ever had car insurance cancelled, refused, declined or voided", yep.
For what?

I've looked at insurers for about 20 different addresses in the past 2 weeks. Cus were looking to move house.

I'm with admiral... I've not had a phone call.

Caporegime
For what?

I've looked at insurers for about 20 different addresses in the past 2 weeks. Cus were looking to move house.

I'm with admiral... I've not had a phone call.

But he did have a phone call to check about the car's connection to the other address. If he told them to go away what do you think they would do?

Soldato
Lol never put any real details in.

Particularly your reg, just use the find vehicle thing. As a Pro tip (particularly if there is a neighbour you don't like) use their address with otherwise all fake details. The quote will be the same anyway.

Soldato
I always do the speculative quotes with a fake name, dob etc to avoid this. Real details when ready to buy.

But the quote would then be different :confused:

Years ago when I had 3 points for speeding, I did a quote with and without the points. Price was a little cheaper without...

Anyway, I rang up a comparison company and they told me some insurers will no longer insure me because I've lied on one of my quotes about the points.

So ye, anything you enter, they know about.

Caporegime

Years ago when I had 3 points for speeding, I did a quote with and without the points. Price was a little cheaper without...

Anyway, I rang up a comparison company and they told me some insurers will no longer insure me because I've lied on one of my quotes about the points.

I can’t speak for @Amos91, but I always put in details that are 99% right (date of birth a few days out, a house down the road, similar but not identical job title, and of course a completely fake name), which means that other than discounts for providing driving license number, or reward card details or similar, the quotes are near enough that they are perfect for the job of comparing the quotes supplied.

Once I’ve narrowed it down then and only then will I put my real details in. Been doing it this way for the best part of ten years now and have avoided any odd questions from insurers like in the OP.

Soldato

Fairly dangerous them doing this imo, if you don't like someone all you need to do is do loads of quotes in their name & reg number but with drink driving convictions, high risk mods. Could cause them a nightmare.

Associate
I can’t speak for @Amos91, but I always put in details that are 99% right (date of birth a few days out, a house down the road, similar but not identical job title, and of course a completely fake name), which means that other than discounts for providing driving license number, or reward card details or similar, the quotes are near enough that they are perfect for the job of comparing the quotes supplied.

Once I’ve narrowed it down then and only then will I put my real details in. Been doing it this way for the best part of ten years now and have avoided any odd questions from insurers like in the OP.

Yes this. Minor changes so the price is still reflective.

Soldato
OP
Something I didn't add to the OP.

I did actually have to pay more. Long story short when they asked if i'd been a resident at my address since birth I said yes but I'd spent a few years overseas (traveling). Apparently they count this as time away if more than 6 months so I had to pay another 60 quid....just for them to edit my details. All they did was change my 'time lived at address' from birth to a few years after. Naturally this had a charge s which was over £70 but I asked for a requote and it came out about £60 more expensive afterwards anyway.

They seem to be wise to you checking their site because when I tried to do a quote with her on the phone it said sorry we can't give you a quote at this time (even with hidden number plate). When I tried just now using random names, numbers and close details it gave me a quote 4x the value and also said they cannot offer direct debit option, so clearly they are running credit checks at the same time.

Soldato
Quote manipulation has really come into focus for a number of big Motor players over the last couple of years. I've attended a couple of really good presentations on it, and the methods of tracking it are only becoming more advanced.

In cases like the one in the OP where it was a completely innocent 'what if' check you'll get a phone call to discuss to make sure you're not deliberately misleading the insurer for a cheaper price, the advisor will be satisfied and that will be the end of it.

Back
Top Bottom