Insurance - Named Driver Claims at Renewal

Soldato
Car insurance is due to renew soon, so I'm doing the annual chore of shopping around, initially on comparison sites, but I'm not sure how best to honestly record the status of a named driver's accident.

Situation is this. I have a fully comp policy on my car, and my girlfriend is a named driver. Last year, she was involved in a minor accident that was her fault. She was driving my car at the time, but I was not in it. Therefore, the claim was made against my policy and I suffered the NCB loss.

As far as I can tell, when buying insurance, then when asked, I should be stating that:
- The policyholder (me) has made a claim in the past, but has had no accidents.
- The named driver (gf) has made no claims, but has had an accident.

This seems to me to be the most honest and factual way of reporting my driver details.
However, when it comes to renewal, most sites (using Meerkats as the example below), when asking about driver details ask a question along the lines of: "Have they had any motor accidents, claims or losses in the past 5 years, no matter who was at fault or if a claim was made?".

Wanting to be as honest as I can, I therefore filled out the details of the same claim for both of us - but of course, this doubled the price of the quotes I was getting, as I assume their system registers that as two separate claims. I tried a different comparison site and out of interest, I placed the details of the claim on the named driver only...and the quotes returned seemed much more inline with what I'd expect.

It seems to me, given the wording of the question, that the only way I can answer it honestly is to record the claim details against both drivers....or am I wrong in differentiating between the 'accident' and the 'claim', and should therefore simply state that it is only the named driver who has had a "claim", even though I was main policyholder at the time?

Obviously I don't want to risk insurance fraud, but I cant help thinking that I'm unwittingly recording what is viewed as two separate incidents. How would you go about this?

Man of Honour
AFAIK you only add the claims under the appropriate driver - I just added my dad on one of mine who had a terrible last year with a number of incidents that weren't at all his fault - was expecting the quote to be substantial but it only put it up by £6/m and only £1.18/m more than if I added him without record of the claims.

Associate
Although it was your policy it was your girlfriends accident and your girlfriends claim.

What is with all these insurance threads recently? :confused:

Claims have ALWAYS been registered against the driver at the time if the incident regardless of who the policyholder is

Soldato
OP
I think I’d probably resort to using a phone rather than a comparison site to get this quote done. Or a good broker.

I will phone companies eventually, but I usually use a few comparison sites first to gauge which company I want to approach. I've never used a traditional broker to be fair.

I was in exactly the same situation. After phoning them and explaining they were treating the same claim twice, they removed one of them and that brought the price down :)

Thanks. Presumably in future, you would simply state you have had no claims, whilst your named driver has had one?

AFAIK you only add the claims under the appropriate driver - I just added my dad on one of mine who had a terrible last year with a number of incidents that weren't at all his fault - was expecting the quote to be substantial but it only put it up by £6/m and only £1.18/m more than if I added him without record of the claims.

Doing a bit of reading around on the MSE forums, this seems to be the general consensus - I state I have no claims, my named driver has one. When she buys insurance on her own car where she is the policyholder, she also states she has one claim, and names me as a driver with none.

Although it was your policy it was your girlfriends accident and your girlfriends claim.

What is with all these insurance threads recently? :confused:

Claims have ALWAYS been registered against the driver at the time if the incident regardless of who the policyholder is

This was the point of the thread. I'm aware that the accident is registered against her, but I was wondering if "claims" and "accidents" were differentiated between by insurance companies. It was my NCB which was affected as policyholder after all, so I don't think it's unreasonable to pause when asked if I have had a claim, even if I wasn't involved in the accident.

And I can only see one other insurance thread :confused:

Thanks for your help gents.

Back
Top Bottom