Insurance NCB question

Soldato
We currently insure our 2 cars through Esure. I am looking into semi retiring my MX5 and starting a lease deal, so we will end up with 3 cars.

I have just gone for a quote on the lease car and the guy said he could not consider my NCB as these have already been 'consumed' by our current insurer. The quote he came out with was ridiculous and he believed it was down to the fact that they can't consider my 21 years NCB.

Is this the case? How do others go about insuring a new car when they already have another on the go?

Thanks

Rant: Why is getting an insurance quote SO painful - I spent 45 minutes on the phone to Esure last week, just to get prices on 2 possible new lease cars!

Soldato
Yes this is the case. Some insurance companies will match ncb if they are decent but other don't. I have 3 cars all on a multicar policy, so my a4 has 3 years ncb, alto has 1 and my sti has 0. Some companies said they would give me 3 years ncb on the sti but they were still more expensive than my current one.

Associate
Sounds like time to shop around!

I’ve just bought a second car, rang around had 8 years NCB on my civic, bought an M5 and insurer offered me 7 years complimentary NCB on it, got all 3 cars (the wife’s is the 3rd) premium for the same as we were paying for the two!

Soldato
I had mine duplicated, but then lost out when I didn't run a 2nd car for 2 years. So one policy is 11 years and the other 13 years. Both show as 9+ years on the policies though so always have to be careful come renewal time that I get my full NCB !

Associate
I think the term is mirrored ncb - some insurers will, some wont, and there's a few posts on pistonheads about it, like this one. As paradigm mentioned, at the end of the year's policy you get a new year's ncb on that policy, so effectively have 2 different "proof of ncb" certificates. I get the feeling that fewer and fewer insurers offer it as it's presumably easier to defraud by trying to use the 2nd ncb certificate after a claim on the 1st?

Back
Top Bottom