insurance renewal non-fault claim disclosure

Associate
Hi all, I'm after some advice regarding my motor renewal.

Early last year I was involved in a minor road accident and deemed not at fault, got my car repaired all FOC and it now says on my NCB letter 'accident/not at fault/£0'

Now I'm running my renewal through the search engines and when I include this accident (as it states that I must) there seems to be a £140 difference/increase compared to when I omit this non at fault claim and run the search again.

Is this normal?

:(

Soldato
Totally normal, I had two non-fault incidents early last year, my car stationary both times, one time unattended. On one car the policy more than doubled, the other is around 50% more than it would have been without the accidents declared. In total this is around a £650/year increase in my insurance costs for the next few years, I looked in to claiming this back from the 3rd parties, but apparently there's zero chance of ever getting anything.

Soldato
Hi all, I'm after some advice regarding my motor renewal.

Early last year I was involved in a minor road accident and deemed not at fault, got my car repaired all FOC and it now says on my NCB letter 'accident/not at fault/£0'

Now I'm running my renewal through the search engines and when I include this accident (as it states that I must) there seems to be a £140 difference/increase compared to when I omit this non at fault claim and run the search again.

Is this normal?

:(

Whilst your current company might not penalise you, many do. £140 seems a lot though, what is it as a percentage?

Soldato
I seen less than 10% through a Fault accident (around £50) - you will unfortunately never know but suspect you are seeing a general increase rather than directly linked accident one. That said you could easily check by removing the claim and comparing quotes to see what the real impact is

Soldato
I seen less than 10% through a Fault accident (around £50) - you will unfortunately never know but suspect you are seeing a general increase rather than directly linked accident one. That said you could easily check by removing the claim and comparing quotes to see what the real impact is
Did you even read the opening post?

Soldato
Around 30% I think. No wonder people are claiming all kinds of whiplash when the insurers behave like this!

When you do your search is the top company the same before and after? What are individual companies doing when you put it in?

An example where the increase isn't as it seems:

Without claim

Company A - £500
Company B - £600
Company C - £700

With non fault claim

Company A - does not quote
Company B - £640
Company C - £700

Some insurers also change their price (or stop quoting) depending on if you start manipulating your quote (things like claims, ncd, licence details etc.), because they become suspicious and have data which suggests people who do this are more likely to not be honest.

Last edited:
Soldato
oh dear, it's going to be one of those debates is it?

do you honestly beleive that there is nobody in this country that relies on their car?

Only one group of people do and they have a special scheme available for them. For everyone else it is a convenience.

Many people can't afford cars. Should we provide them with taxpayer funded ones (excluding disabled people as mentioned above) since you believe it is a necessity for certain people.

It isn't surprising to hear that dishonest people are also bad car insurance risks.

Soldato
Only one group of people do and they have a special scheme available for them. For everyone else it is a convenience.

Many people can't afford cars. Should we provide them with taxpayer funded ones (excluding disabled people as mentioned above) since you believe it is a necessity for certain people.

yep, it's going to be one of those debates, you keep them blinkers on mate i'm sure you prefer the world the way you see it.

Back
Top Bottom