• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel 10th Gen Comet Lake thread

Soldato
What I wonder is why Intel patches it's CPUs on new found security flaws AFTER the releases of new CPUs, even if they were known well before. eg Clear Linux (Intel's own distro) is patched for the last security issue since August-September. But for Windows & bios now we see the patches, microcodes and announcements!!!!!

Same thing happened 3 times now the last releases 8700K (2017), 9900K (2018), 9900KS (2019). After CPUs are reviewed and benched, here goes a microcode to resolve vulnerabilities and reduce performance.

Soldato
What I wonder is why Intel patches it's CPUs on new found security flaws AFTER the releases of new CPUs, even if they were known well before. eg Clear Linux (Intel's own distro) is patched for the last security issue since August-September. But for Windows & bios now we see the patches, microcodes and announcements!!!!!

Same thing happened 3 times now the last releases 8700K (2017), 9900K (2018), 9900KS (2019). After CPUs are reviewed and benched, here goes a microcode to resolve vulnerabilities and reduce performance.

Careful there, you're getting into tinfoil hat territory! :D

You're probably right though, get the best reviews possible then worry about security.

G J

G J

Associate
I suppose the nice thing is you can now buy an i7-6700K for a lot less than it originally cost, although it's now called an i3-10100.

I'll bet when this i3 comes out, people will still try and get 150-200 second hand for a 6700k/7700k :rolleyes:

Soldato
These are only 3 firms out of 30. Some people may not want to buy from them, especially at that pricing.

???

At what price, compared to INTEL they're peanuts!
Just checked another rather large populat site and guess what, shocker also in stock. Stop moving the goal post.

Soldato
I have a notebook with a 2-core/4-thread i3-5005U and to be honest it is more responsive system than my 4-core/8-thread Ryzen 5 2500U. Faster updates installation, faster Windows loading to desktop, etc... Faster shut down.
That means Microsoft optimises for intel CPUs while they don't so much for AMD systems.

That has changed in recent times. Microsoft has released new updates that improve system performance with AMD ryzen cpu's and more are coming. There are also updates coming that improve Intel performance too.

Caporegime
i9-9900KS and Ryzen 9 3900X are trading blows across the range of applications. If the 10-core SKUs are available and cheaper than the overpriced and mostly out of stock Ryzen 9 3900X, the intel CPUs will win the game/battle.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-9900ks/7.html

Web browsing? must get that Intel CPU to get 34ms faster Javascript execution! MUST MAKE IT FASTER THAN MY SCREEN CAN REFRESH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tech Power Up have sold out to Intel's desperate attempt to reinvent CPU performance testing because they fall short of their competition in anything that matters.

Caporegime
@4K8KW10 answer me this, what is more important to you? how fast Google Chrome can render advert banners, 600ms or 650ms? or how fast can you unpack that 3GB .Zip?

This is desperate stuff from Intel, while Intel are busy optimising annoying browser execution code AMD don't give a #### about any of that because they are busy designing better and better CPU architectures.

Run Adblock to undo all of Intel's hard work and get the best browser performance possible. :rolleyes:

Are Intel a CPU company or what?

Last edited:
Soldato
Cant really even blame Intel that much as they are bound to do anything they can to make their products looks better than the competition; they are getting trashed in pretty much every usual metric so they invent new ones.

What is unforgivable is any tech review sites actually using those benchmarks in their evaluation of CPUs, as any reviewer worth their salt knows they are meaningless we are talking about tests which are under 1s and variances between 10-50ms which are just not noticeable to human beings.
Any modern cpu is so fast in web browsing and running word as to be instant to the actual user, utterly meaningless.

TrM

TrM

Associate
Cant really even blame Intel that much as they are bound to do anything they can to make their products looks better than the competition; they are getting trashed in pretty much every usual metric so they invent new ones.

What is unforgivable is any tech review sites actually using those benchmarks in their evaluation of CPUs, as any reviewer worth their salt knows they are meaningless we are talking about tests which are under 1s and variances between 10-50ms which are just not noticeable to human beings.
Any modern cpu is so fast in web browsing and running word as to be instant to the actual user, utterly meaningless.

every reviewer who gets intel pre production or final release cpu's to review for alunch have to follow intels guidelines and intel will throw ccant use x patch y patch and must include these benchmarks otherwise you wont be on our list anymore. its why i dont trust reviews anymore. not just intel but amd are also just as bad and every game company is the same

Permabanned
Web browsing? must get that Intel CPU to get 34ms faster Javascript execution! MUST MAKE IT FASTER THAN MY SCREEN CAN REFRESH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tech Power Up have sold out to Intel's desperate attempt to reinvent CPU performance testing because they fall short of their competition in anything that matters.

Not just web browsing, it looks almost everything :D

Performance-comparison-1.jpg

Performance-comparison-2.jpg

Performance-comparison-3.jpg

Performance-comparison-4.jpg

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-9900ks/9.html
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-9900ks/8.html

This is desperate stuff from Intel

This is desperate attempt by you you shift the reality ;)

Caporegime
Not just web browsing, it looks almost everything :D

Performance-comparison-1.jpg

Performance-comparison-2.jpg

Performance-comparison-3.jpg

Performance-comparison-4.jpg

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-9900ks/9.html
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-9900ks/8.html

This is desperate attempt by you you shift the reality ;)

The first two are workloads not done on the CPU in the real world, you can play Crysis on the CPU without a GPU but i wouldn't recommend it. there's really no meaningful difference in Tensorflow workloads anyway.

The MS Office, yeah ok the 9900K is 0.1 seconds faster on Word ecte... if you really want to chalk that up as a win i'll let you and Intel have it, you're the only two who care.

Image Editing, Photoshop, which i do use, is about 10 or 12 years old, Gimp is much better, again you can have that.

TPU's slide of Premier is an odd one given it contradicts other reviews, Steve from GN actually commented on this, it used to be a given that Intel was faster in Premier, but with Zen 2 it just isn't anymore, see graph below. its almost as if Intel gave TPU the results and said "this is what results you should get", and then TPU just copy and paste.

Given TPU are now deep into playing to Intel's reviewers guide demands i wouldn't put it past them.

PS: DaVinci Resolve is far better than Premier.

SgijSaR.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom