• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel 10th Gen Comet Lake thread

Associate
FFS how can anyone even remotely talk up intel utter horse crap outside of very specific and narrow requirements is beyond me.

Face it.
Intel is four X'd this year (to parrot a techpowerup review from years ago about an AMD chip... )
And will be for the foreseeable future unless your some sort of child who plays games all the time and doesnt care about anything else.

AMD have 2019 in the bag, 2020 almost certainly and prob 2021 and as for the joke that is intel HEDT.... well RIP... its dead, burred and smelling.

Soldato
I dream of a world where close competition between Intel and AMD forces them to innovate to out perform the other and price competitively to take market share. AMD finally delivers and comes up with some good hardware, fairly priced, and Intel drops the ball and falls behind; 7nm when?!

TrM

TrM

Associate
I dream of a world where close competition between Intel and AMD forces them to innovate to out perform the other and price competitively to take market share. AMD finally delivers and comes up with some good hardware, fairly priced, and Intel drops the ball and falls behind; 7nm when?!

I don’t think intel are out of it yet not even close to being out. My reasons are even though intel are still on 14nm node and whilst amd have come on leaps and bounds they are still not killing it. I have a 3900x and I love the cpu I really do 479.99 for a 12 core beast of a cpu it really is.

but intel 9900k in right stuff can match it and. Gaming intel to my dismay is still slightly faster then my pc(I also have 2080ti)

now the 3900x and 3950x is both so much better then the 9900k/s in a overall package. And amd sould get credit for what rhymes have achieved but even with moving to a 7nm node it’s not a outright win for them intel is still compiling option and competing in every way really.

intel only have to price the i9 9900k at the i7 mark and the game changes but 600 for the is is to outrageous really pricing is hurting intel in the custom market atm not performance

now I not saying that the ryzen 4000 won’t beat intel in allways and maybe the 5000 won’t have such a massive lead of intel we don’t know what the future holds I know I was one of them in 2016 saying amd ryzen would be a flop after bulldozer I was very skeptic although amd proved me wrong I admit that but we’re talking about intel here such a big company who could outspend amd 20-1 to regain supremacy in a short space of time

Permabanned
There's no sense trying to reason with 4k.

How do you explain the overall better system responsiveness of a 4-year-old i3-5005U compared to a 2-year-old Ryzen 5 2500U, despite the former being 2-core/4-thread design, while the latter 4-core/8-thread design?

I will tell ya. Developers optimise for intel-based systems :D :D

Intel continues to hold a commanding position in this space, with deep, many-year relationships with key datacenter players and server vendors, and it presents customers with hardware as one part of the server solution rather than focus on pure silicon.

To that end, with thousands of engineers fine-tuning myriad datacenter applications to run as efficiently as possible on Intel Architecture, the decision to switch a server installation from Xeon to Epyc isn't, in the real world, immediately straightforward. Things move slow, usually on a multi-year cycle. Rival Intel will also claim that the latest Xeon processors are better-suited for emerging workloads such as AI, and that related products such as Optane memory and upcoming accelerators alter the overall performance dynamic more into its favour. Then there's the just-announced Cooper Lake architecture that promises up to 56 socketed cores, multi-chip implementation, and greater memory bandwidth - leading to Xeon and Epyc becoming more alike than ever before.
https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/133244-amd-epyc-7742-2p-rome-server/?page=8

TrM

TrM

Associate
How do you explain the overall better system responsiveness of a 4-year-old i3-5005U compared to a 2-year-old Ryzen 5 2500U, despite the former being 2-core/4-thread design, while the latter 4-core/8-thread design?

I will tell ya. Developers optimise for intel-based systems :D :D

a lot more things make up a system then cpu:) your talking about a very low powered cpu here in a non upgradable laptop type system.

harddrive/ssd speed, ram speed is it sata or nvme etc.
Then you have to look at software installed. Power plans on battery does amd go further into power saving. What crap the owner has installed looked at on the internet.

there are so many reasons why that pinpointing one exact cause. If was that easy we all wold get amazing systems :)

Permabanned
a lot more things make up a system then cpu

Everything equal except that the i3-5005U goes with W10 Enterprise, single-channel DDR3-1600 4GB RAM and intel Graphics software package, while the Ryzen 5 2500U goes with W10 Pro, dual-channel DDR4-2400 16GB RAM and Radeon Software.

TrM

TrM

Associate
Everything equal except that the i3-5005U goes with W10 Enterprise, single-channel DDR3-1600 4GB RAM and intel Graphics software package, while the Ryzen 5 2500U goes with W10 Pro, dual-channel DDR4-2400 16GB and Radeon Software.

Ssd? Hdd? Is it nvme sata? Are they conected to cpu by pci-e lanes or chipset? What clock speeds to both clock down to?

Is the amd cpu faster when conected to power outlet? What power saving setting set up in bios ? So many questions that you don’t answer by just the main core spec’s and so many reasons why the 2500u isn’t as fast as older less cored intel

Don
FFS how can anyone even remotely talk up intel utter horse crap outside of very specific and narrow requirements is beyond me.

Face it.
Intel is four X'd this year (to parrot a techpowerup review from years ago about an AMD chip... )
And will be for the foreseeable future unless your some sort of child who plays games all the time and doesnt care about anything else.

AMD have 2019 in the bag, 2020 almost certainly and prob 2021 and as for the joke that is intel HEDT.... well RIP... its dead, burred and smelling.

I play games and browse, are you calling me a child?

Soldato
I assume we'll see some sort of preview of Comet Lake at CES, in January. Regardless of Intel's failure to shrink the die, it's pretty interesting to see how far you can push a node given more than 6 years of R&D.

Associate
I assume we'll see some sort of preview of Comet Lake at CES, in January. Regardless of Intel's failure to shrink the die, it's pretty interesting to see how far you can push a node given more than 6 years of R&D.

They'll likely be able to refine and bin the flagship to 5.1/5.2ghz boost 10core/20thread cpu.

Depending on price, it could be very competitive. If they work on the IMC and SA a bit that will help eek out more performance so they will comfortably maintain their gaming lead which is about all they hope for on the desktop side.

Caporegime
They'll likely be able to refine and bin the flagship to 5.1/5.2ghz boost 10core/20thread cpu.

Depending on price, it could be very competitive. If they work on the IMC and SA a bit that will help eek out more performance so they will comfortably maintain their gaming lead which is about all they hope for on the desktop side.

2% even if they could, which i very much doubt, what would be the bloody point? when you're at 5Ghz already 100 or 200Mhz is nothing, its margins of error levels

Soldato
There are still people who assume that gaming is only for children. I game, some days for hours some days not at all but I neglect adult duties for it.
Funny how some people think this considering how mature some games can be. I think parents these days just throw any old game even like GTA at them when they're 10 years old, would explain why I've heard little kids over the microphone in games meant for teens or adults.. meanwhile utter filth and abuse is going on in the chat at least half the time.

Makes me wonder who has the least amount of intelligence or common sense these days.

Soldato
Funny how some people think this considering how mature some games can be. I think parents these days just throw any old game even like GTA at them when they're 10 years old, would explain why I've heard little kids over the microphone in games meant for teens or adults.. meanwhile utter filth and abuse is going on in the chat at least half the time.

Makes me wonder who has the least amount of intelligence or common sense these days.

Absolutely. I think anyone of any age would likely find a game they would enjoy, be it a point and click, an action, sports or whatever. My gran used to love hidden object games.

Back
Top Bottom