Intel 660p 2TB or Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB for gaming?

Associate
The Samsung is almost double the price and my use case is mostly gaming so is it worth it paying the high premium for the 970 Evo Plus or can I get by with the 660p? I have also read that past 50% storage on the 660p the drive slows down to traditional HDD speeds so effectively it’s more like a 1.2TB drive and QLC is very unreliable so is that true or an exaggeration. Which one would be recommended?

Soldato
The Samsung is almost double the price and my use case is mostly gaming so is it worth it paying the high premium for the 970 Evo Plus or can I get by with the 660p? I have also read that past 50% storage on the 660p the drive slows down to traditional HDD speeds so effectively it’s more like a 1.2TB drive and QLC is very unreliable so is that true or an exaggeration. Which one would be recommended?

I would look at Corsair, Saberent Rocket and the Adata offerings. Slightly more than an Intel 2tb but cheaper than the Samsung.

All of the above will throttle once the cache buffer is full - sustained read/write will drop on large file transfers.

Only the Samsung Pro and WD Black won’t do this - full read/write 100% of the time on large file transfers providing the m.2 doesn’t overheat.

Back
Top Bottom