• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel admits it won't catch up with AMD's 7nm chips until 2021

Associate
That's still Core, and that assumes their 7nm EUV will be available in volume in 2021, and not be totally borked.

So it's a pretty big if. Plus they'll be facing Zen 4 on 5nm EUV; & whether TSMC or Samsung or both, it will definitely work and be available in volume.

2022, process allowing, would be a better bet for them being competitive, as that's the likely launch window for Keller's new post-Core chiplet design, on 7nm EUV+.

But, again, they'll be facing Zen 5, probably on either 3 or 4nm (and they'll still be on 7nm).

Personally I think they stand more chance of being competitive in GPUs over the next couple of years.

Permabanned
How does AMD compete with the i7-8750H and i7-9850H?

Despite being stuck on the 14nm+++, intel's lineup is pretty competitive and currently there is only one Ryzen 9 3900X that is also out of stock that is faster than i9-9900K.

So, I don't see why intel would worry, at all.

Soldato
How does AMD compete with the i7-8750H and i7-9850H?

Despite being stuck on the 14nm+++, intel's lineup is pretty competitive and currently there is only one Ryzen 9 3900X that is also out of stock that is faster than i9-9900K.

So, I don't see why intel would worry, at all.

The 9900k gets caned...

Associate
I suppose good news for competition. It should give AMD time to respin the current 3600-3900s to improve them further (along with some tweaks on the PBO they need to bring out soon). If AMD can get some good market share, then Intel will be under price pressure come 2021/2022.

Good for all us consumers.

Permabanned
I will buy Ryzen just to further stick the knife in my 4770k will last to the next Ryzen build then by the time intel reach 7nm they will be too late for my money and hopefully this is all of us!

Oh dear how do you claw a way back there when you are behind? And when no one wants to buy from you and maybe hate the way you raised priced in anti competition methods, And drip fed everyone 10% performance a year? Well you should have done your research they built up a lot of hate this should serve as a warning especially Nvidia and Jensen.

If AMD ever catch you in the GPU market And i do not need to rely on DSR you are dead and i have the knife all shiny and polished! The more they do thinfs that are raising prices and holding back performance builds all the more resentment. :)

Associate
That's still Core, and that assumes their 7nm EUV will be available in volume in 2021, and not be totally borked.
So it's a pretty big if. Plus they'll be facing Zen 4 on 5nm EUV; & whether TSMC or Samsung or both, it will definitely work and be available in volume.
I wouldn't want to bet on Intel at this point but just because they screwed up 10nm doesn't mean that 7nm will also be bad.
As for the competing architectures available at that point, we know nothing I imagine so pointless even guessing.
So trying to guess about 2 different processes and 2 different architectures that are 2+ years away is like trying to guess who will win the FA Cup and Champions League in 2 years time.
Best done over a pint and a large pinch of salt.

Soldato
I will buy Ryzen just to further stick the knife in my 4770k will last to the next Ryzen build then by the time intel reach 7nm they will be too late for my money and hopefully this is all of us!

Oh dear how do you claw a way back there when you are behind? And when no one wants to buy from you and maybe hate the way you raised priced in anti competition methods, And drip fed everyone 10% performance a year? Well you should have done your research they built up a lot of hate this should serve as a warning especially Nvidia and Jensen.

If AMD ever catch you in the GPU market And i do not need to rely on DSR you are dead and i have the knife all shiny and polished! The more they do thinfs that are raising prices and holding back performance builds all the more resentment. :)

No Matter how much hate there is for intel, if they were to release a chip that beats AMD tomorrow everyone would be buying it.

Associate
Unfortunately 9900K won't fit in my X299 S2066 board... ;)
You need a bigger hammer.

940x0.jpg

Permabanned
Unfortunately 9900K won't fit in my X299 S2066 board... ;)

You are too polite. They are a mafia and anti consumer if everyone jumps ship now they will be in trouble and will need to give way on the scam of socket changing. It was always an allure upgrade the cpu leave the rest intact while intel want the whole rig gutted basically.

Eurgh intel make me feel dirty i have one in my pc...

Associate
I wouldn't want to bet on Intel at this point but just because they screwed up 10nm doesn't mean that 7nm will also be bad.
As for the competing architectures available at that point, we know nothing I imagine so pointless even guessing.
So trying to guess about 2 different processes and 2 different architectures that are 2+ years away is like trying to guess who will win the FA Cup and Champions League in 2 years time.
Best done over a pint and a large pinch of salt.

Their 7nm has repeatedly been pushed back too. Their first gen EUV process will ship in volume (they hope) about a year later than TSMC & Samsung's 3rd gen EUV (7nm EUV -> 6nm EUV -> 5nm EUV), which should all be out in volume in 2020, at least for the mobile chips.

2021 is still Core. We know that.

We know Zen 3 is 7nm EUV in 2020. We know Zen 4 is 5nm EUV in 2021.

It looks like it will get worse for Intel, not better.

Back
Top Bottom