• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Arc series unveiled with the Alchemist dGPU to arrive in Q1 2022

Caporegime
That is not at all unusual behaviour for intel, they always do push and push the marketing for a product right up until it's publicly cancelled, even if that decision must have already been made behind doors a while ago.
but it was a rumour for someone who doesn't work for intel anyway... someone with zero insider knowledge then around the web everyone is running with it like it's some CEO memo

seems like some people are desperate to encourage you not to buy intel cards, especially this research company, do they get funded by investment banks etc or what? terrified AMD and NVDA might lose 10% of their marketshare?

gotta keep pumping out any old crap rumour in order to make sure no one buys intel cards in case they get "abandoned" when intel cancels the project.

I don't see anyone running around with rumours of worse case scenarios or what if for Nvidia and AMD

Soldato
Anything of any interest covered? I'd prefer not to click or put myself through a Linus video.

The only bit that interested me is about 1 min in when he talks about the integrated av1/h.265 encoding engine and then i skipped through most of the rest. :)

Just thought i'd put it up in case there was anything of interest to anyone.

Soldato
but it was a rumour for someone who doesn't work for intel anyway... someone with zero insider knowledge then around the web everyone is running with it like it's some CEO memo

seems like some people are desperate to encourage you not to buy intel cards, especially this research company, do they get funded by investment banks etc or what? terrified AMD and NVDA might lose 10% of their marketshare?

gotta keep pumping out any old crap rumour in order to make sure no one buys intel cards in case they get "abandoned" when intel cancels the project.

I don't see anyone running around with rumours of worse case scenarios or what if for Nvidia and AMD

I'm not basing any purchase decision off rumours, just looking at the current performance of the Intel cards is enough to prevent me buying one. There are always rumours something terrible is about to come out from both AMD and Nvidia (800W consumer card for example, like seriously...)
But accusing JP of being shills or fanboys, oh boy.

So much selective bias in this one.

Soldato
I see Intel have confirmed that Arc has no native support for DirectX 9 and is running those games through a translation layer akin to DXVK. No doubt compatibility and performance will be all over the place as a result.

https://www.techpowerup.com/297806/...t-rely-on-api-translation-to-play-older-games

As someone who plays quite a lot of older games, these cards get less and less interesting. Intel seem to have no interesting in targeting anything except DX12/Vulkan and maybe, if you're very lucky, they'll un**** their performance in some DX11 titles, so long as they're in the Steam top 100.

Caporegime
I see Intel have confirmed that Arc has no native support for DirectX 9 and is running those games through a translation layer akin to DXVK. No doubt compatibility and performance will be all over the place as a result.

https://www.techpowerup.com/297806/...t-rely-on-api-translation-to-play-older-games

As someone who plays quite a lot of older games, these cards get less and less interesting. Intel seem to have no interesting in targeting anything except DX12/Vulkan and maybe, if you're very lucky, they'll un**** their performance in some DX11 titles, so long as they're in the Steam top 100.

While some tech journalists talk about ARC as potentially a great budget GPU this is clearly not what Intel had in mind.

How cheap do we think Intel will go on something like the A380? Which is clearly not designed to be a sub $200 GPU.

Steve Walton thinks around $100, because it can't keep up with an RX 6400, which he admits is a GPU he hates.

There isn't anything else that can match it for its money, so get a ##### grip. And Intel aren't here to save us from the evils of AMD's sub $200 GPU's, who are the only ones still doing it but given the reception its got it will be the last.

Intel Arc performance:
DX12 / vulkan - Acceptable in some games, and reBAR must be enabled.
DX11 - BAD
DX10 - BAD
DX9 - What is this? I need a dictionary.

Last edited:
Caporegime
But accusing JP of being shills or fanboys, oh boy.
then they shouldnt start a rumour that intel is going to scrap it's whole division....

also the number they came up with was 2.1billion but could be as high as 3.5 billion or he could be dead wrong and it's less than 2.1b
which is barely anything in the grand scheme of things anyway, they would only need a tiny percent of the GPU market at some point in the future to claim it all back and let's face it GPU are going to be more important than CPU if they aren't already

intel will definitely turn into IBM if they keep being just a cpu company.

where do you think JP gets his funding from? if you watch stocks you might notice when some company wants to drive down a stock a lot of utter crap starts coming out and often their will be like 50 different lawsuits against the company claiming they mislead investors etc
articles like that seem to be purely off the back of the dumb rumour they started.

his number is just a wild guess.... why such a massive range if they are such a great research company

Last edited:
Caporegime
then they shouldnt start a rumour that intel is going to scrap it's whole division....

also the number they came up with was 2.1billion but could be as high as 3. whatever billion or he could be dead wrong and it's less than 2.1b
which is barely anything in the grand scheme of things anyway, they would only need a tiny percent of the GPU market at some point in the future to claim it all back and let's face it GPU are going to be more important than CPU if they aren't already

intel will definitely turn into IBM if they keep being just a cpu company
Nvidia have 80% of the market and on a good quarter they earn $3 Billion in revenue on gaming GPU's, that's revenue, not profit.
This quarter it was £2 Billion.

By contrast AMD's "Gaming revenue" was $1.7 Billion, that's GPU's and Ryzen processors, they don't publish separate CPU / GPU revenues, probably because the bulk of that £1.7 Billion is Ryzen processors.

If Intel took AMD's entire 20% they might get $100 Million revenue out of it, and post a small loss due to cost and what they can sell them at.

Soldato

also the number they came up with was 2.1billion but could be as high as 3.5 billion or he could be dead wrong and it's less than 2.1b

intel will definitely turn into IBM if they keep being just a cpu company.

where do you think JP gets his funding from? if you watch stocks you might notice when some company wants to drive down a stock a lot of utter crap starts coming out and often their will be like 50 different lawsuits against the company claiming they mislead investors etc
articles like that seem to be purely off the back of the dumb rumour they started.

his number is just a wild guess.... why such a massive range if they are such a great research company
Market research is ALL guesswork, that is exactly what companies pay these companies to do, all day, every day. Throwing accusations at people for doing exactly what their job entails is just bizarre behaviour, how much are intel paying you to defend them so hard? Because obviously whenever anyone says anything that has to be the only reason.

If you are going to have a go at JP at least link to their article they wrote;

It's a question "will they" not a statement, the CEO has been cancelling lots of other products because that's exactly what he was brought in to do
They aren't starting a rumour, they are providing factual statements based on facts alongside their analysis based on years of experience of doing research and analysis on the semiconductor industry - aka guessing based on what information they can gather

Last edited:
Soldato

Wow thats pretty bad from intel given the performance level of these cards I expect a big part of their market would be those playing older games.

The API can be used on chrome based browsers, I tried it in the past and it performs pretty badly. Can be toggled in the experimental settings page.

Caporegime

The problem is (and I’m sure there is a more technically accurate way to put it) that DX11 is an old API, which AMD and NVidia driver engineers hand optimise each DX11 game via drivers (often overwriting API commands) to improve performance and make it perform well (or as well as it possibly can on said hardware). This takes time, effort, experience and a lot of employees. AMD and Nvidia have been at it for a long time, Intel on the other hand are just getting started with discrete graphics, and it will take them a long time to catch up here. DX12 and Vulkan on the other hand does not require so much work from the driver teams and is therefore a lower hanging fruit and that would likely explain why ARC does better here.

A game developer spoke about this recently
On the Moores Law Is Dead Podcast, broken silicon, if you would like a more accurate explanation.

Last edited:
Soldato
The problem is (and I’m sure there is a more technically accurate way to put it) that DX11 is an old API, which AMD and NVidia driver engineers hand optimise each DX11 game via drivers (often overwriting API commands) to improve performance and make it perform well (or as well as it possibly can on said hardware).

Yes. Notice how large the driver packages are. I've just checked Task Manager and the various Nvidia entries are taking 350 MB, maybe more. And that's only the entries explicitly labelled as Nvidia.

Soldato
Yes. Notice how large the driver packages are. I've just checked Task Manager and the various Nvidia entries are taking 350 MB, maybe more. And that's only the entries explicitly labelled as Nvidia.

They've exploded in size having to pack in all previous optimisations along with RT, Tensor and DLSS profiles. I'd actually like an option where I could download a lightweight driver tool which then only installs optimisations for apps and games I have installed on my PC and nothing else but let's me automatically add optimisations when I install new apps/games.

As it stands now Nvidia graphics drivers are nearing 1gb https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/192967/en-us/

Associate
They've exploded in size having to pack in all previous optimisations along with RT, Tensor and DLSS profiles. I'd actually like an option where I could download a lightweight driver tool which then only installs optimisations for apps and games I have installed on my PC and nothing else but let's me automatically add optimisations when I install new apps/games.

As it stands now Nvidia graphics drivers are nearing 1gb https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/192967/en-us/
That's the compressed size, it's already at 1.81GB after you extract it. I use NVCleanstall to get rid of some of the bloat it comes with.

Soldato
Apparently Intel is dropping DX9 driver support for Arc and Xe. Intel will be using an open source software DX9 to DX12 API conversion for all DX9 games

Intel would probably do this for 10 and 11 as well if the software exists, they really don't want to make new drivers for anything other than DX12 games

Back
Top Bottom