• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel back Free Sync and Vulkan, G-Sync meeting its deserved end.

Caporegime
I have a Free-Sync screen and an nVidia GPU, as far as i know there is no technical reason as to why nVidia cannot let me use the Free-Sync feature of my screen, its simply the case of building the driver for it.
I think they chose not to because they want to lock you into their eco-system by making you buy G-Sync which is nVidia proprietary technology.

My hope has always been that nVidia will find this approach unsustainable, that like Beta Max vs VHS and HDDVD vs BlueRay Free-Sync will win out as thie standard.

I think that is becoming more and more true as time goes on, despite nVidia's market dominance there are far more Free-Sync screens available than G-Sync, Coming consoles will all support it, there are now Free-Sync TV's available.

G-Sync as a scalable technology is beginning to falter, Free-Sync HDR is proving to be pretty straight forward while nVidia need $500 chips to make G-Sync work with HDR adding that to the existing $200 G-Sync modules making HDR G-Sync screens really very expensive.

Now Intel are wading in also backing Free-Sync.

I think G-Sync is turning into something nVidia are going to find increasingly difficult to convince screen vendors to support, actually i think they already are, just looking at OCUK they list 20 G-Sync screens, this against 70+ Free-Sync screens, this with nVidia owning about 80% of the GPU market, once Intel supporting Free-Sync enter this market and or AMD claw back some market share nVidia will have to start giving away these $200 to $500+ G-Sync modules or screen vendors just wont bother.

Just give us Free-Sync, nVidia, you lost, G-Sync is Beta Max.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
That's a lot of words to try to justify to everyone why you bought a free-sync unit.
Was it really worth the effort, as I'm not sure anyone cares.

Soldato
I can't say I'm really too worried about having G-Sync and Freesync.
People complain about being locked in but a lot of people probably stick with one manufacturer anyway, so just buy the tech that works with the brand you use.
If you absolutely HAVE to buy a GPU by the other team (I'm not sure what would force you into that situation) then you can still use the monitor. Both brands have competing products at all but the very top tier.
It sort of feels like looking for issues.

I use two monitors and I suspect I'm not alone. So I could just have 1 G-Sync and 1 Freesync screen and game on the one that matches my GPU.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Not watched the video yet, but even as a G-Sync user I welcome an open standard. By the time a proper 4K 120Hz HDR OLED FreeSync 2 monitor is out to make me want to upgrade, I will have had my moneys worth out of my G-Sync monitor anyway :D

HeX

HeX

Soldato
I'll just buy an Intel GPU to do some gaming on to make use of freesync.
Oh no wait.

It's pretty important taking that Intel are working on their own line of high performance GPU's. If when they arrive they are already set up to work with Freesync and Vulkan that's a good thing.

Not so useful now, good for the future.

Permabanned
I know how NV works. We will not see Freesync anytime soon from them. They would need to KILL Gsync first or make Gsync open standard.
Besides that I use Fast Sync anyway so care about Free sync or Gsync to make use of either I would need to own a 4K monitor. And If i was to buy 4K monitor I would go for 4K Gsync sync anyway not like AMD got card that can power a 4k gaming at ultra settings.. At lest not till end of 2019 !!!

Besides that I'm stuck if it goes for monitor... How many 3D monitors is there on the market ?? Well Freesync does not work with 3D anyway its USELESS !!!!

Caporegime
OP
I know how NV works. We will not see Freesync anytime soon from them. They would need to KILL Gsync first or make Gsync open standard.
Besides that I use Fast Sync anyway so care about Free sync or Gsync to make use of either I would need to own a 4K monitor. And If i was to buy 4K monitor I would go for 4K Gsync sync anyway not like AMD got card that can power a 4k gaming at ultra settings.. At lest not till end of 2019 !!!

Besides that I'm stuck if it goes for monitor... How many 3D monitors is there on the market ?? Well Freesync does not work with 3D anyway its USELESS !!!!

They would need to KILL Gsync first or make Gsync open standard.

Of course not, why would you think that?

bru

bru

Soldato
As HeX said it matters for the future.

Its also not about brandisum, its actually about the freedom to chose any GPU without being tied to one adaptive sync screen or another.

Quoted again, because it makes sense.

One thng about this whole HDR Gsync module, I would love to know how much a non Gsync, HDR adaptive sync scaler costs, because obviously they are not free, but the cost probably isn't $500. Just like the Standard GSync module, you can bet it doesn't cost the $200 that is the premium for the monitors with GSync over Freesync. you can also pretty much guarantee that it isn't only NVidia that is getting the extra cash, as I'm sure the monitor manufacturers are making a killing as well.

Associate
Most people believe that G-sync monitors are superior in general anyway so Nvidia should try to support adaptive sync while still keeping the premium image of G-sync intact, unless there is a reason not to do so.

Mind share is everything and Nvidia has it in spades. That may be one of the reasons that they haven't supported an open standard yet.

They may do so once they lose market share but I doubt that happening anytime soon regardless of Intel or anyone else joining the party.

Permabanned
@humbug cause that is how NV are and been ?? Just look at PhysX situation.
Whats great about Gsync is that it works with 3D Vision.
As it is AMD got no 3D gaming option left so if one wants to play in 3D like Me AMD got nothing at all :/ Used to have Tridef and... It's gone :/

bru

bru

Soldato
Most people believe that G-sync monitors are superior in general anyway so Nvidia should try to support adaptive sync while still keeping the premium image of G-sync intact, unless there is a reason not to do so.

Mind share is everything and Nvidia has it in spades. That may be one of the reasons that they haven't supported an open standard yet.

They may do so once they lose market share but I doubt that happening anytime soon regardless of Intel or anyone else joining the party.

Sorry gonna call you out on that one, NVidia support many open standards, just not Adaptive sync.

Caporegime
OP

The "its much more expensive than the other so it must be better" mentality.

Even that wares very thin when people looking at HDR screens finding that they can't get one for under £2200 G-Sync while a Free-Sync HDR screen costs £300.

Caporegime
OP
@humbug cause that is how NV are and been ?? Just look at PhysX situation.
Whats great about Gsync is that it works with 3D Vision.
As it is AMD got no 3D gaming option left so if one wants to play in 3D like Me AMD got nothing at all :/ Used to have Tridef and... It's gone :/

No one uses Tridef, or 3D-vision, well, apart from you and perhaps 5 or 6 others. AMD no longer support Tridef at all, its a dead technology.

In any case nVidia adopting Free-Sync, actually using the name Free-Sync is a bit misrepresentative of me, Free-Sync is what AMD call it, the technology is actually open source, nVidia, should they adopt it can call it whatever they like and they really do not need to kill off G-Sync, they can continue to support it, i still don't understand where you would get such an idea.

Permabanned

That's how I see it. They loose some % market share but not to AMD in any near future Intel ATM is big unknown what sort of performance sector they will be aiming ?? Low med or high end ?? Who knows.

If NV ever wants to add freesync i bet It's matter of One month max for them. They Just dont want to do it cause As You said they got the PREEEEEMIUM FEEL to the Gsync monitors. Even if they are no better at displaying people think they are and thats good enough for them.

Open standard's dont make product feel BETER PREMUM and people cant stroke their's e-peen

Lets say they added freesync.
All here know that one would be not able to tell difference between Gsync and Free sync on same monitor.
I'm sure that at this very moment there are monitors that got better image display quality than stuff with Gsync as it uses newer better panels.

So adding Freesync could possibly make Gsync monitors look... well ****
Why would they do that ??

@humbug You are faaaar away from this People still use Nvision new profiles coming out all the time. For NEW GAMES. You can Have 3D vision with Gsync working on 144hz 1440p monitor.
I bet You never p-layed on TriDef or Nvision in MMo or any other game. HDR is poor show compared to 3D gaming lol.
TriDef is dead cause AMD killed it FACT. It was free open standard could have been used on NV and AMD cards.
Nvision is stil working and going cause Nvidia SUPPORTS IT
So that add's one of crap moves for AMD

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Why would they do that ??

@humbug You are faaaar away from this People still use Nvision new profiles coming out all the time. For NEW GAMES. You can Have 3D vision with Gsync working on 144hz 1440p monitor.
I bet You never p-layed on TriDef or Nvision in MMo or any other game. HDR is poor show compared to 3D gaming lol.
TriDef is dead cause AMD killed it FACT. It was free open standard could have been used on NV and AMD cards.
Nvision is stil working and going cause Nvidia SUPPORTS IT
So that add's one of crap moves for AMD

TBH i don't care, i don't know one way or the other if nVidia could support 3D over, lets call it 'VESA Adaptive Sync' and if they can't then you don't get 3D over nVdia's equivalent of Free-Sync, if 3D is what floats your boat more power to you. Its not a reason to stop nVidia's VESA Adaptive Sync support.

Back
Top Bottom