1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

Intel Core i9-12900K allegedly scores 30K points in Cinebench R23

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by Dave2150, 22 Sep 2021.

1. Joxeon

Soldato

4 small cores fit in the space of one large core yet provide much more performance.

Intel obviously thinks this is the way forward as its the small core counts than are being increased every generation from now on.

Raptor lake will have 8+16 and meteor lake 8+24 etc.

Rumours are that Zen 5 maybe implementing a big little design also.

Last edited: 23 Sep 2021
  2. jigger

Capodecina

Do they?

3. cliffy

Wise Guy

Rumour has it these chips will still use 250W and peak 400W so not to sure how much efficiency the little cores will bring. Also will be interesting to see how these perform in Windows 10 as i suspect teh leaked results are using Windows 11 and its new scheduler

4. Minstadave

Caporegime

That's my point I guess. Tacking on a butt load of Atom-esque cores to pad out the multithreaded performance seems a messy solution to Intel's efficiency problem.

5. Minstadave

Caporegime

Intel is making some pretty Cinebench numbers I don't disagree but it's not leagues ahead of a 5950X. I wonder how this implementation translates to real world use cases, I guess it would be useful to bin off all the low level processes to these smaller cores and if you're rendering/transcoding then this solution may work nicely but currently if you need multithreaded performance you'd just go 5950X or Threadripper, I'm not sure Intel's solution is superior or just a bandaid to cover for their terrible efficiency. Be interesting to see how this evolves over time.

Last edited: 23 Sep 2021
  6. Cyber-Mav

Capodecina

well if you dont know then you dont know......

7. Cyber-Mav

Capodecina

remove the ram from your system and see if you can run cinebench then :rolleyes:

8. Cyber-Mav

Capodecina

around £200 quid extra to the cost of the cpu.. :D

9. jigger

Capodecina

Has it got a node advantage?

I’m not sure how Intel’s cores scheduling will work. Intel was a little vague.

10. Minstadave

Caporegime

That's price not value :p

11. Cyber-Mav

Capodecina

well if its on 10nm then thats a node disadvantage.

12. Cyber-Mav

Capodecina

you never know. intel may decide to release these at cheapo prices. but then they will probably keep prices high and blame it on anti-competitive laws etc.

13. Joxeon

Soldato

It will be lower down the stack where it's most interesting, higher than a 5800X multithreaded performance for 5600X prices and 5900X multithreaded performance for 5800X prices. Both areas in which Zen 3 failed to deliver tangible gains over zen 2 at their respective price points.

14. Grim5

Sgarrista

Don't be silly, Windows requires RAM so the system will not boot - absolute nothing to do with Cinebench at all - try harder next time you troll

15. jigger

Capodecina

It will be Interesting to see. What Intel need are chips with higher efficiency big core clusters that scale past 8 cores. That’s not what is on offer with Alderlake.

The key will be scheduling tasks to the best cores for the job, but it’s also tricky part to leveraging performance.

16. uscool

Wise Guy

Hi Dave wasnt rocket lake meant to blow zen3 ? you went quiet for awhile you actually bought one should never have bought one one of the worst releases :cry: I dont understand brand loyalty to that level

17. EsaT

Capodecina

Bazillion tiny cores won't make one thread execute any faster.
    While some things multithread and can scale to really high core counts, some things don't benefit any no matter how many threads you make.
    Basically anything in which next operation depends on previous operation won't do anything with higher number of smaller cores.

And scheduling is going to be nightmare for realizing full performance:
    You don't want threads going to heavy weight core eating unnecessary amount of power/thermal budget when not needed.
    But if such serial execution of commands needing thread/workload goes to lite core even momentarily that's going to hit performance.
    (moving workload between cores has delay)
    Also it's really hard to make smaller core without cutting out some instructions/their hardware execution unit.
    And emulating such instructions would be really slow compared to hardware, while moving thread back to full core again adds its penalty.

Basically arbitrarily multihreading stuff without any inter thread dependancies, like Cinebench, is the best case.
    (also for hiding horrible memory latency)

18. denigor777

Gangster

The prices make it un-compelling for me. Premium priced DDR5 and Mobo required at the same time as the CPU stings too much right now.

19. Destination

Capodecina

Are they really?
    That is rather interesting.
    Is it the same cores as the desktop chip?

20. Haz123

Gangster

These chips are more aimed at laptops than desktops imo. Been big little set up with mobile SOCs for years so it is almost surprising it has taken laptops so long to catch up.