• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Core i9-9990XE: 14c/28t, 5.0 GHz boost, 255 W TDP

Soldato
Anandtech article

Summary:
  • X299 platform
  • Fits existing motherboards, providing they can deal with the power requirements
  • No warranty
  • No retail sales
  • Sold to OEMs via auction once per quarter
I am not sure who is going to end up with one of these. I guess if you require both first-class single core performance and tonnes of cores at any cost, and also are fine with buying an OEM machine. I was joking before about Intel running out of numbers but now there's only one left. :D

Caporegime
Anandtech article

Summary:
  • X299 platform
  • Fits existing motherboards, providing they can deal with the power requirements
  • No warranty
  • No retail sales
I am not sure who is going to end up with one of these. I guess if you require both first-class single core performance and tonnes of cores at any cost, and also are fine with buying an OEM machine. I was joking before about Intel running out of numbers but now there's only one left. :D

i9999XXXE :p

Associate
Anandtech article

Summary:
  • X299 platform
  • No warranty
  • No retail sales

This screams cherry picking at extreme cost to try and stay relevant.... Intel know Zen2 is coming, theyve seen the writing on the wall, potentially AMD's R9 16c could make this chip look silly, especially if they managed to get 5ghz out of them.

X299 if your board can handle it, if it doesnt, well our no warranty means its all on you.
Sold via Auction, i bet the starting price is not cheap either...

This whole thing is just sad from Intel... they clearly have no direction right now.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Intel are scrambling, its a **** poor attempt.

What they should do is do what AMD did, take a couple years off and lay low amd rework their whole system. You can't possibly do that in 1 year, so tale 2 or maybe 3 years if possible, Come back with a 7nm process and if you can manage a 8 core with low tdp then its okay.

But for the love of god don't try and carry on this yearly releasing pathetic chips thing.. Because it wont work anymore

Soldato
Um Intel, when you say "right, hold my beer" in response to a competitor, you're supposed to do something better than the competitor.

Still, for the next 6 months Intel will have the bragging rights for a 14 core CPU that boosts to 5GHz. Truth be told though, Ryzen 3000 still might not top that: the rumoured 3700X is "only" 12 cores, and the anniversary 3850X will require godlike silicone to get its 16 cores to 5.1GHz.

e-peen wars continue...

Associate
The fact these will be "Auctioned" off, right there speaks volumes about the cost, these things will be insanely expensive, it also shows the limitations of their process, these are the very extreme top chips they can manufacture... right now they have nothing better to offer :(

Soldato
Reeking? Yes. Repurposed server silicon? No. This is still LGA 2066, not LGA 3647. You're thinking of the Xeon W-3175X going into the Dominus Extreme.

These are 18 core HCC chips, extremely good silicon and clocked within an inch of it's life.. It's obvious that they are reacting to what they now can guess what the Ryzen 3*** is, unless they've glued 2 9900k together and disabled a couple of cores(I don't think they did this).. So It's best to say that these are HEDT(HCC) chips and not the true server(XCC) chips.

This is going to be a ~250W(300W) chip competing with a 95-125W(120-150W) chip, has no warranty, no ECC memory support and will cost an absolute fortune - it's a halo part that looks to be only there to claim it's still top dog, until they can get 10(or 7)nm finally out the door. It's irrelevant anyway as it'll be sold in such low numbers, but they'll use it to claim it's still has the fastest desktop..

It's an obviously desperate move from a company that hasn't got anything else to compete - it's all about mindshare, same thing NVidia used to do back when the GPU wars were a thing. Even if Intel manages to get 10nm out I think it'll take a while to get on a similar performance level to 14nm++++, or what ever version we are on now. They may be able to compete on TDP/core count then but I think that early 10nm will not be as fast(frequency) as their ultra-refined current 14nm process - it'll take time to refine it to the same level.

Soldato
The fact these will be "Auctioned" off, right there speaks volumes about the cost, these things will be insanely expensive, it also shows the limitations of their process, these are the very extreme top chips they can manufacture... right now they have nothing better to offer :(

It would be extremely embarrassing if no-one bid on these, the no-warranty will put a few off.

Associate
To be honest...it's kind of funny seeing Intel frantically pull out these willd chips.

To think that only a few years ago, Intel was sitting on their 4-Core throne.

They clearly cannot compete, and this chip reeks desparation.

Still though...14-Cores @5Ghz with HT is an Overclocker's dream..

Soldato
I dread to think want these are going to cost.

Will be interesting to compare them to the Xeon-W

Will also be interesting to see how they stack up against current Threadripper offerings price wise - as decent x299 mobos are not cheap!

Gaming surely can't be the pitch for these....

Associate
Was that sarcasm? An Overclockers dream is surely a chip that, erm... can be overclocked, not that one already is, so is stock. ;)

:) No, not sarcasm..if that is what it does 'stock' imagine what it can do overclocked..is what I meant.
Clearly been better binned too.

I was just trying to see things from different perspectives...Cuz I can see this chip in the hands of Debauer..for example.

Soldato
:) No, not sarcasm..if that is what it does 'stock' imagine what it can do overclocked..is what I meant.
Clearly been better binned too.

I was just trying to see things from different perspectives...Cuz I can see this chip in the hands of Debauer..for example.

Ah sorry, I don't believe in buying the highest performing pre-binned part for vast sums of money. The version of overclocking I was brought up with was buying something low end, and making it high end by running beyond the specification, all the while having only paid a fraction of the cost of the part that you are performing similarly to.

Associate
Ah sorry, I don't believe in buying the highest performing pre-binned part for vast sums of money. The version of overclocking I was brought up with was buying something low end, and making it high end by running beyond the specification, all the while having only paid a fraction of the cost of the part that you are performing similarly to.

Amen to that! (this is exactly why I am running a Ryzen 1600 on my own rig..to get +1600x performance all while having the absolute satisfaction I didn't fork out an arm and a leg for something OTT).

I was specifically flipping that concept on it's head with a 'what if'..
Instead of taking something low end and pushing it high, taking something high end and pushing higher.

Anyways, even if I had the coin to buy such a CPU, I wouldn't..simply to make a statement (voting with your wallet..and all)..and there are already, clearly much more 'bang for buck' products out there anyways.

Still trying to this day, to squeeze more out of my system. Fun times. :D

Back
Top Bottom