• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel extreme tuning utility - AVX stress test

Soldato
Hi all!

So after building new system I panicked over my temperatures so ran some stress tests...
Normal CPU stress test, CPU temp topped at 66C
I then went to CPU with AVX-512 and the temps were around 85C, but in this test I noticed that the alert for current/EDP limit Throttling being on for the whole test.
For AVX2 it flicked on and off throughout the test.

Is this a thermal issue, or perhaps due to the fact that I haven't (yet - due to a lost cable) plugged in CPU2 atx 4 pin to the motherboard?
Is it something that I should be worried about? I wont be overclocking.

Motherboard is b560m mortar WiFi
CPU is i5-11600k

Thanks!!

Soldato
OP
Well I have now put the second CPU connector in place and that seems to have improved the situation. Also the cpu seems a bit more consistent with temps (presumably more stable voltage).

But the AVX stress test does lead to thermal throttling now on the AVX2 and 512 (pressumably the lack of current limit being hit means it's able to get hotter)

I don't think my operating temps are high enough to worry about really, although probably a bit above what I would expect.

Associate
Hi all!

So after building new system I panicked over my temperatures so ran some stress tests...
Normal CPU stress test, CPU temp topped at 66C
I then went to CPU with AVX-512 and the temps were around 85C, but in this test I noticed that the alert for current/EDP limit Throttling being on for the whole test.
For AVX2 it flicked on and off throughout the test.

Is this a thermal issue, or perhaps due to the fact that I haven't (yet - due to a lost cable) plugged in CPU2 atx 4 pin to the motherboard?
Is it something that I should be worried about? I wont be overclocking.

Motherboard is b560m mortar WiFi
CPU is i5-11600k

Thanks!!

Avx stress tests are cpu torture tests and all they do is serve to degrade your cpu, create lots of heat and consume lots of power. totally pointless/zero real world benefits and potentially damaging when limits are removed.

Soldato
OP
So nothing to over think - as I often do! Thanks!!

At some point I may reseat CPU as I did overdo the paste but probably not to the point where cooling is severely compromised... Under normal use!

Back
Top Bottom