Intel LGA1155 miniITX motherboards

Associate
So if you use integrated GPU you can't overclock cpu, right?
Does it mean that if I use regular graphic card in the slot, can I OC cpu?

Second thing: H67 = no RAID for SATAIII?

Also - what is UEFI?

Think you're a little confused. I believe I'm right with this:

The P67 boards are the only ones that allow you to overclock, they don't have intergrated gpu support

The H67 do have intergrated gpu support, but you can't overclock.

Soldato
OP
Hmm, I wanted to order today while OcUK still have the 2.5% off - but I can only see the Foxconn available at retail?

Not sure what to do really.

Soldato
That is tempting but the Foxconns are not even in stock yet.

I'm downsizing from mATX with DDR2 keeping my AMD 6950 and Sapphire PSU and Noctua fans, H50 and HDD.

so in my basket:
Lian Li PC-Q08B USB3.0 Mini-ITX Case - Black
Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz
Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz

Gone for the K because as soon as a clockable mITX mobo comes out ill be all over it like a rash and it should be easier to sell second hand later on.

I will be getting a SATA3 SSD but im waiting for the OCZ vertex 3

Loving the look of the lian li case my only issue is why couldnt they have had the PSU lower down so you could fit push-pull on an H50. Not that fussed about that though.

Soldato
OP
I'm going to wait and see how you get on. I'm leaning towards the Intel as they're generally always good boards.

It can't be a long wait either - you can already get it in the US.

Soldato
Well when I thought about it I realised I don't really own any USB devices that would benefit from USB3 (yet) and 2x SATA3 and 1x SATA2 is all I will need till October anyway (In October I will be putting a RAID 10 array in for NAS in my new house) so hopefully by October there will be a P67/Z68 board with 6x SATA ports at least 2 of which are SATA3.

Also I had Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket so waiting this long was hard enough :D

Soldato
Yes! First impressions of the Foxconn are that its very well put together and header placement is nicely thought out (for the Lian-li at least). It doesn't have UEFI but it can have UEFI in the future (I'll probably have moved on to P67 by the time Foxconn get around to that). First impressions of Sandy Bridge. Its fast! a huge step up from my Phenom 8600.

Currently having a couple of driver issues with my HD6950 but thats AMDs fault for having rubbish drivers. As a result I've been using the onboard GPU which is ok. Not great just OK. Haven't really had a chance to properly give it the beans as I've been trying to sort out my damn graphics card (roll on 11.0).

My memory (XMS3) is running at 1333MHz (max for the board) at 1.65v and its not dead yet. I've looked for a way to lower the voltage or the latency but evidently H67 doesnt support ANY form of overclocking not just CPU.

The board is nice but with no USB3 and 3 SATA ports its not for everyone. As I have said before it is only a holding card till I see a P67 with UEFI, USB3 and 6x SATA ports. If I wasn't going to put a raid array in and didn't want to overclock I would certainly stick with this board and for the price its bloody excellent.

Soldato
Yes! First impressions of the Foxconn are that its very well put together and header placement is nicely thought out (for the Lian-li at least). It doesn't have UEFI but it can have UEFI in the future (I'll probably have moved on to P67 by the time Foxconn get around to that). First impressions of Sandy Bridge. Its fast! a huge step up from my Phenom 8600.

Currently having a couple of driver issues with my HD6950 but thats AMDs fault for having rubbish drivers. As a result I've been using the onboard GPU which is ok. Not great just OK. Haven't really had a chance to properly give it the beans as I've been trying to sort out my damn graphics card (roll on 11.0).

My memory (XMS3) is running at 1333MHz (max for the board) at 1.65v and its not dead yet. I've looked for a way to lower the voltage or the latency but evidently H67 doesnt support ANY form of overclocking not just CPU.

The board is nice but with no USB3 and 3 SATA ports its not for everyone. As I have said before it is only a holding card till I see a P67 with UEFI, USB3 and 6x SATA ports. If I wasn't going to put a raid array in and didn't want to overclock I would certainly stick with this board and for the price its bloody excellent.
How well does the integrated graphics perform with windows aero? I used to have an ATi 4350 and that used to stutter with windows aero and wasn't as smooth as I would have liked when scrolling fast, hence why I now have a 4670. However, if the integrated graphics is decent enough then it would free up some space in my case by not needing a discrete card, which would be great!

Soldato
It works great with aero its only on games that its not amazing but then I am comparing it to a 6970. HD playback is good too at 1080. Basically for everything but Crysis its sufficient :p

Back
Top Bottom