• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to launch 6 core Coffee Lake-S CPUs & Z370 chipset 5 October 2017

Associate
Instructions per cycle. How fast a core is basically. Yeah get a 6 core if that is all you want lol

From what I gather 6850K users are getting the performance I want in that game, I don't want an old platform this close to new ones coming on the scene so it's either Skylake-X or this alleged 6 core mainstream part in the form of coffeelake... I'm not fussed which as long as it substantially improves minimum FPS in BF

Soldato
From what I gather 6850K users are getting the performance I want in that game, I don't want an old platform this close to new ones coming on the scene so it's either Skylake-X or this alleged 6 core mainstream part in the form of coffeelake... I'm not fussed which as long as it substantially improves minimum FPS in BF

Does Ryzen not appeal to you?

RSR

RSR

Soldato
IPC will be roughly the same are 2 extra cores enough to make you buy a whole new platform?
May as well go for the 8 and make it worthwhile IMO.

I was going to say a simlar thing, as when I upgraded from 4c to 6c I've regretted every since but buying a 6900K from a 6850k at the moment makes zero sense.

Associate
Yeah, was going to get Ryzen but my Sandy Bridge still does everything I currently want.

If Intel's latest chip doesn't offer anything new, or is just too expensive, guess it's time to wait for Zen+.

Soldato
It wouldn't be surprising to see these brought foward, it's basically trivial, Coffeelake sounds like it's 14nm refined marginally again. I wouldn't be surprised if it's literally SKylake again with a light clock bump.

There is no 14nm +/++, every process gets not particularly close to it's theoretical best case sizing at first then iterates a couple times to get closer. IE 14nm is iirc 64nm metal pitch, in reality the first iteration is probably more like 72nm, then it will get tweaked and they'll reduce the design rules to 69nm, then they do it again and move to 64nm. It gets smaller, or stays same size with more spacing, less leakage and better clocks. Intel just decided to make a bigger deal and brand these tweaks/improvements because 10nm is taking ages and they want people to upgrade so they make it sound bigger/better.

Skylake started as a 122mm^2 chip, at 6 core skylake was possible from day one of Skylake being available, the cores take up only around 40% of the core, so adding 2 more cores would probably only make a hexcore around 140-145mm^2 range. That is trivial die size wise. How long have they been making the 250mm^2 Broadwell-e's.

Kabylake is a new Skylake stepping on the marginally tweaked process, Coffeelake might well just be Skylake with potentially another tweak or potentially not. We're talking about essentially new steppings and rebranded chips excluding a hexcore they've been holding back for 2 years because they wanted to milk profits on smaller chips. They could have made the hexcores 2+ years ago easily, so bringing it forwards 6 months is stupidly easy. In fact even if the so called 14nm '++' isn't ready they can just make a hexcore on 14nm '+', rebrand the lower two, add 100Mhz to the lower chips then in 6-12 months they can release a new bin of those chips with a new stepping.

The only interesting thing about it could be pricing. Somehow I just can't quite see Intel dropping in the hex at 7700k pricing, the 7700k at 7600k pricing, etc. Nor do I think they can do this without better prices. They are losing sales because of price/performance to AMD. I'm guessing the new chips will move down a half a price point then make the hexcore another £50-80 on top of current 7700k pricing.

Thanks for the breakdown DM.

I think the other angle is motherboard pricing, the intel hexcore enthusiast boards have been eyewateringly expensive. I will happily pay overs on a 7700k for 6 cores at 5ghz plus but less willing to swallow £400 a pop for a motherboard.

Will intel give us cheaper boards but keep the quad ram channel crutch in order to justify the enthusiasts line tax. I am struggling to find reasons for the enthusiasts line exsistence if the coffee lake rumours hold true.

Soldato
Whether this is appealing totally depends on price. I mean even if they slap on those extra two cores without charging any more than they do now, it still won't be competitive with Ryzen's performance-value ratio. 6c/12t Kaby Lake for £350 still sounds stupid when the R5 1600 is under £210, even with its higher clock speed limit (presumably). If you still have to delid them to overclock highly, that's even worse.

Very sceptical that Coffee Lake will change much.

Soldato
I'm not sure if some people just post for posture to get what they want, or if they truely believe what they're typing. I'd pay for a platform that works.

Another CPU another chipset. When will they stop this crap.

Gavin, I've been on the same chipset at home since 2014. When exactly should I expect Intel to give HEDT an update, like native USB 3.1 amongst other things?

Wake up.

Last edited:

GAC

GAC

Soldato
I'd pay for a platform that works.

what im waiting for, sat on a i5-750 from 2009 (yes that old) and i need to replace it this year, was looking at ryzen but wont be touching until its matured a bit if i do. but a new intel 6/12 chip would be nice.

Soldato
Hasn't intel already announced that increase in performance is the same like between sky>kaby=15%...=increased speed?
Yes, except Skylake to Kaby Lake was nowhere near 15%. Even if they're just comparing a stock i7-7700K to a stock i7-6700K their 15% number is ********. Kaby Lake just overclocks more (if you have very high end cooling and/or bother to delid).

Back
Top Bottom