• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to launch 6 core Coffee Lake-S CPUs & Z370 chipset 5 October 2017

Soldato
This isn't HEDT.

But it is Intel. What is to be gained from being stuck on the same chipset? Nothing enforces using Z270 over Z170.

Yes, except Skylake to Kaby Lake was nowhere near 15%. Even if they're just comparing a stock i7-7700K to a stock i7-6700K their 15% number is ********. Kaby Lake just overclocks more (if you have very high end cooling and/or bother to delid).

He's referring to Intel's own slides. Also this post is false as 5Ghz is (very much) achievable on air cooling.

Soldato
But it is Intel. What is to be gained from being stuck on the same chipset? Nothing enforces using Z270 over Z170.
I agree as long as the socket is the same it doesn't matter, unless of course certain key CPU features require the new chipset, in which case it may as well be a new socket.

He's referring to Intel's own slides.
I know he is. Doesn't change the fact that the numbers are ********.

Also this post is false as 5Ghz is (very much) achievable on air cooling.
Hence I said high end cooling is required. Even a NH-D15 doesn't necessarily keep a 5 GHz Kaby Lake below 80 °C under load unless you delid. That's pretty hot.

Soldato
what im waiting for, sat on a i5-750 from 2009 (yes that old) and i need to replace it this year, was looking at ryzen but wont be touching until its matured a bit if i do. but a new intel 6/12 chip would be nice.

I'm just about to build two further Ryzen systems, they do still need a lot of tweaks in order to be considered excellent, saying that I can hardly see Intel matching the current £180 I just paid for 2x R5 1600's with their equivalent processors. So from a price to performance ration they are probably still going to lose if they don't get them around £270, or less. Not to mention the fact that almost all of the Ryzen range will be unlocked and no need to by a special K variant to OC.

Associate
It was just a question if between sky and kaby the difference was only increased speed (which caused intel's 15% from the slides) now if intel claims again 15% increase (which would mean another, similar speed increase), why would anybody expect more? or some kind of next gen cpu

GAC

GAC

Soldato
I'm just about to build two further Ryzen systems, they do still need a lot of tweaks in order to be considered excellent, saying that I can hardly see Intel matching the current £180 I just paid for 2x R5 1600's with their equivalent processors. So from a price to performance ration they are probably still going to lose if they don't get them around £270, or less. Not to mention the fact that almost all of the Ryzen range will be unlocked and no need to by a special K variant to OC.

guess we'l find out come august what intels going to do, they may surprise the pants off us (doubtful) and drop prices and release something that is more than the probably 10-15% jump over kabylake. the issue for me is iv done builds before where you have silly little niggles for whatever reason and honestly if i have to spend a bit more to get a solid intel build i probably will do.

Soldato
guess we'l find out come august what intels going to do, they may surprise the pants off us (doubtful) and drop prices and release something that is more than the probably 10-15% jump over kabylake. the issue for me is iv done builds before where you have silly little niggles for whatever reason and honestly if i have to spend a bit more to get a solid intel build i probably will do.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say, in 4-5 months, by the time the new Intel CPU's are available that the AM4 platform will be 95-99% as stable as it's going to get in this iteration before Ryzen+ in 2018. You'll have lots of end user experience to go on by then, and hopefully even some performance gains from new steppings of the CPU's.

Soldato
Intel to unveil Basin Falls, launch Coffee Lake ahead of schedule
Monica Chen, Taipei; Joseph Tsai, DIGITIMES [Wednesday 19 April 2017]
Intel will unveil its Basin Falls platform, i.e. Skylake-X, Kaby Lake-X processors and X299 chipset, at Computex 2017 in Taipei during May 30-June 3 two months earlier than originally scheduled, and will bring forward the launch of Coffee Lake microarchitecture based on a 14nm process node from January 2018 originally to August 2017, to cope with increasing competition from AMD's Ryzen 7 and Ryzen 5 processors, according to Taiwan-based PC vendors.

The Basin Falls-based products are expected to be launched at the E3 gaming show in the US in June, with the official release at the end of the month.

The Skylake-X series has three 140W processors featuring 6-, 8- and 10-core architectures, while the Kaby Lake-X series has an 112W quad-core processor. In August, Intel will release a top-end 12-core Skylake-X processor.

Meanwhile, AMD is planning to announce its top-end 16-core Ryzen processor and X399 platform in the third quarter to compete for the gaming market.

As for the 14nm-based Coffee Lake-based processors, Intel will initially release several K-series Core i7/i5/i3 processors and its Z370 chipsets in August, and will release more CPUs as well as H370, B360 and H310 chipsets at the end of 2017 or early 2018.

Intel has reportedly spent over US$100 million to order five EUV machine sets from ASML, to accelerate its pace of manufacturing.

Intel and AMD both declined to comment on unannounced products.

WTF is that all about then?

Soldato
It means that they're upping the clock speed slightly which puts it well past the optimum efficiency range.

Sorry, I'm not a CPU aficionado, so it's basically a higher clocked Kabylake 7700K? How will that be any different to the 5ghz versions you can already get, all be it unofficially?

Soldato
Sorry, I'm not a CPU aficionado, so it's basically a higher clocked Kabylake 7700K? How will that be any different to the 5ghz versions you can already get, all be it unofficially?

Small chance it will overclock to 5.3.

But yeah, basically this has been our complaint about Intel for the past 6-7 years. It's all teeny tiny increments and half of us couldn't be bothered paying the price for the minimal improvements.

Soldato
Small chance it will overclock to 5.3.

But yeah, basically this has been our complaint about Intel for the past 6-7 years. It's all teeny tiny increments and half of us couldn't be bothered paying the price for the minimal improvements.

Oh so they've released overclocked 4 cores as 'X' versions before? I just assumed the 'X' designation was for the 6c+ chips.

Soldato
Well it's a different platform, so quad channel memory and extra PCIe lanes. Unnecessary for gaming and nearly everything else a home user would be doing unless you want 3-4 GPUs.

This thread is about Coffee Lake though, which is being released on another backwards compatible mainstream platform, Z370. You're talking about Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X, which are on the new HEDT platform, X299.

Associate
I wonder how they are going to cope with temperatures for 6 cores and this bird poo that they put between the die and IHS. Just a question, really curious.

Soldato
I wonder how they are going to cope with temperatures for 6 cores and this bird poo that they put between the die and IHS. Just a question, really curious.
They'll improve the TIM just enough that the temperatures aren't completely mental, then claim they've come up with some fantastic new tech that improves thermals...despite the fact that they already use far superior tech on HEDT and everything before Haswell.

Back
Top Bottom