• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to launch 6 core Coffee Lake-S CPUs & Z370 chipset 5 October 2017

Soldato
After initially being excited about a hex core Intel I now actually think it adds very little. Ryzen 7 will still beat it in multicore tasks and it will game the same as 7700k in the majority of titles (because few games use more than 4 cores). So... Not wow.

Soldato
After initially being excited about a hex core Intel I now actually think it adds very little. Ryzen 7 will still beat it in multicore tasks

..Well, in the pure CPU 3D Mark test, the Intel 8700K is also faster than the 1700, with overclocking headroom to add on top as well.

Soldato
TBF the Ryzen 5 1600 is going to be probably close to half the price of the Core i7 8700k so if you were looking at buying it I would argue you probably are more GPU limited due to your budget,and the money would be better spent on a faster card.

Associate
Hmm, quite a bit faster than the 1600X in the pure CPU physics test at stock speeds, add in the overclocking headroom (4.5GHZ+) , and it's clear that the 8700K will easily defeat the 1600X.

Question is, how much extra will Intel want to charge for the privilege?

I'm pretty sure it will be faster than the 1600/X but the 1600 is the price-performance king, it was never the performance leader (although when overclocked to 3.9/4Ghz it matches Intel's Skylake-X 6-core 7800X at 4.7Ghz in gaming).

So unless Intel release the 8700K for $200 (they won't) or even $250 (it will cost at least $300), the 1600 will continue to sell out. Also, as per the posts above we're looking at availability of the first 6-core desktop Coffee Lake's around October at the very earliest with the full line-up taking until Q1 2018 to release. At which point Ryzen+ (and the R5 2600/X) will be a few months away.

Soldato
TBF the Ryzen 5 1600 is going to be probably close to half the price of the Core i7 8700k so if you were looking at buying it I would argue you probably are more GPU limited due to your budget,and the money would be better spent on a faster card.

This is the conclusion many come to, unless money is no object spending on a better Gpu has more impact.

Soldato

Well I have somewhat oddball requirements when it comes to PC gaming and where my priorities lay, I mainly only game with emulators where CPU clockspeed & IPC are the absolute priority and only really need a mid-range GPU like a 1060 or 1070, even my current 970's can run most of my emulated games at a minimum 1440p and all the way up to 4K in most stuff.

..and its clear that the 8600K or the 8700K would be a far better, albeit far more expensive, choice for my needs, the extra cost I'm willing to accept because I only upgrade my PC's every 3-5yrs, so I will get my moneys worth out of the extra outlay.

Last edited:
Soldato
The chip will be compatible with the LGA 1151 socket and rumors are that board makers will extend support of Coffee Lake onto 200-series and even 100-series platforms.

I thought Asrock said the 8700k was not going to be compatible with the z100/200 boards so which is it :confused:

Soldato
Well I have somewhat oddball requirements when it comes to PC gaming and where my priorities lay, I mainly only game with emulators where CPU clockspeed & IPC are the absolute priority and only really need a mid-range GPU like a 1060 or 1070, even my current 970's can run most of my emulated games at a minimum 1440p and all the way up to 4K in most stuff.

..and its clear that the 8600K or the 8700K would be a far better, albeit far more expensive, choice for my needs, the extra cost I'm willing to accept because I only upgrade my PC's every 3-5yrs, so I will get my moneys worth out of the extra outlay.

I play FO4 which in its current form is also limited by single threaded performance and memory bandwidth which is why Coffee Lake has my interest,but my situation is a niche case even amongst mates who play FO4 since I have 200+ mods and went a bit silly with the settlements,but my Xeon E3 1230 V2/Core i7 3770 is still probably fine for most other games I play at qHD TBF.

But it was only really more noticeable with a GTX1080 as I was also GPU limited before. However,in most cases,if you are building from scratch,£150 better spent on the card would be more noticeable. If you take pre-mining prices into consideration,that was the difference between a RX470/GTX1060 and a GTX1070.

For more modern games like the Witcher 3,they can even tax the GTX1080 once you turn up settings and that is from 2015 too!!

Soldato
The chip will be compatible with the LGA 1151 socket and rumors are that board makers will extend support of Coffee Lake onto 200-series and even 100-series platforms.

I thought Asrock said the 8700k was not going to be compatible with the z100/200 boards so which is it :confused:

I'd be more inclined to believe asrock. They are not likely to get it wrong are they?

Associate
We will as always do binned cpu's so for the very crazy clocks a small percentage. I can't really comment too much more other than saying 4.5ghz is very very easy on all. Imc is very strong. I think that's about all I can say.

Interesting. It would be good if coffee lake overclocks well on air and not just on high end water cooling solutions.

Last edited:
Associate
Want to upgrade from a 3770k to 8700k, I need a new motherboard for PWM support etc, Want to get rid of my fan controller which makes fans buzz.

Back
Top Bottom