• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to launch new flagship Kaby Lake 7740K and 7640K CPUs in March 2017?

Soldato
Just saw the news on cpchardware.

https://www.cpchardware.com/intel-prepare-la-riposte-a-ryzen/

Intel prepares Ryzen's response behind the scenes

POSTED BY: DOC TB FEBRUARY 6, 2017
Last autumn, Intel's marketing teams published a succinct presentation on future AMD processors based on Zen (Ryzen) architecture. The goal was then to reassure the sales people and offer them a rationale to answer their customers' questions. In essence, the presentation indicated that there was nothing to fear from Zen (especially on the performance side).

Since then, things seem to have changed. Latest feedback confirms that the next Ryzen - which will be officially announced on March 2 - represent a serious threat to the hegemony of Intel. Intel's communication department is now trying to avoid at all costs the humiliation that would represent a Ryzen comparable to the Core i7 6900K (1200 €) for a much lower price. Adjustments to the tariff schedule are becoming inevitable and are being finalized. Nonetheless, this is a last-resort solution that represents a confession of indisputable weakness. In the rest of the range, the response is also organized.

Kaby Lake pushed into a corner to counter Ryzen

According to our sources, Intel is reportedly sampler several new processors Quad Core based architecture Kaby Lake .

First there is the Core i7 7740K. It has 8 MB of L3, with a base frequency of 4.30 GHz (100 MHz more than the Core i7 7700K) at the price of a significantly higher TDP (> 100W against 91W). The Turbo frequency is not known, but should logically be 4.60 GHz.

One of the other sample was renamed Core i5 7640K. At first glance, this is also a speed bump from the Core i5 7600K: Quad Core, 6MB L3, 4.0 GHz base frequency for the 3.8 GHz against 7640K for 7600K. On the TDP side, it would also climb above the 100W. But there is much more interesting: the Core i5 7640K would have active SMT (Hyper-threading), a first for a Core i5 Desktop. This modification profoundly upsets the segmentation of the different "Core". Until now, the Core i5 were distinguished from the Core i7 by the absence of Hyper-threading.

Certainly we must not forget that the same evolution has taken place between the Pentium and Core i3 in the world of Dual Core: declensions Kaby Lake Pentium now benefit from Hyper-Threading, as this feature was Previously reserved for Core i3 only. The arrival of HT on the Core i5, however, resembles a maneuver last minute, presumably to counter the CPU Ryzen . They benefit in fact from the SMT in almost the whole range (4, 6 and 8 cores), only one model Quad Core being deprived.

We should very soon have access to a Core i5 7640K, which will allow us to confirm this information and give you more details about the frequencies in Turbo mode. Given the excitement that prevails at Intel, and according to initial tests on processors Ryzen end, other models could quickly be additional CPU. Conversely, Intel is currently testing the Core i5 7640K and 7740K with its major customers but does not guarantee them a final sale. The manufacturer wants to ensure that it can respond almost immediately (within a few days) in case AMD changes its plans at the last minute. However, the validation of new processors is a time-consuming process, especially when they incorporate sensitive modifications such as activation of HT on Core i5. However, the democratization of 4C / 8T models in the mid-range would remain very good news for consumers. Proof of the concrete interest of healthy competition, absent for too long.

The Quad Core Ryzen still seeking MHz. Hope for Intel?

The Santa Clara giant had certainly not anticipated the level of performance achieved by the Zen architecture. Nevertheless, it should not bury Intel too fast. The new AMD CPUs clearly pose a concern for the price positioning of the most expensive models (at 6, 8 or 10 cores). With their consistent frequency, the SMT and the number of embedded cores, the highest variations range Ryzen offer excellent performance on highly multi-threaded applications, that is to say, able to simultaneously use the Set of available cores. For the rest, especially for Quad Core and video games, the latest information that has come down to us creates doubt. As we wrote in our article, the frequency of Ryzen Quad Core should be between 3.8 GHz and 4.2 GHz base to compete effectively with the range of Intel. But we are far from it. The current quasi-final samples are limited to 3.2 GHz in base frequency. This is very insufficient and especially surprising since the two 8-core models reach 3.4 / 3.8 and 3.6 / 4.0 GHz.

Why a frequency so low on the Quad Core while the Octo Core go much higher? One can first imagine that a Turbo mode particularly swift will come to save the furniture, but currently, we have no information in this sense. For now, we only have access to the 6- and 8-core versions of the Ryzen in stepping B and we do not know the Turbo frequencies of the Quad Core B-Step. We can, however, risk a comparison. Between stepping A0 and B, the turbo mode of the 8-core models increased by 400 MHz at best from 3.6 to 4 GHz. In stepping A0, Quad Core were clocked at best at 3.4 GHz (for 2.9 GHz base). In stepping B, the Quad Core Ryzen should therefore be at 3.8 GHz. It's still far too little to compete with the next Core i5 7640K for example. This seems all the more strange that AMD seems determined to sell Ryzen to 8 cores running more quickly, which proves that architecture can achieve much larger frequencies. So what?

A problem yield on the 14 nm GF?

The yield is the ratio between the number of dies functional and the number of dies products. A die is silicon piece containing a processor. It is obtained after cutting the wafer (large silicon wafer that contains hundreds of dies ).A potential performance issue ( yield ) on the 14 nm process of Globalfoundries might explain this situation. We now know that the first Ryzen to 4 and 6 cores will be based on dies 8 non-functional core, AMD has provided the ability to easily disable multiple cores, whether or not present in the same CCX. Well aware that demand will focus on Ryzen upon its release, AMD might logically choose to recycle as much of its dies defective by disabling some hearts ... and lowering the frequency. The cores contained in the dies can indeed be failing in two ways: they either do not work or they are unstable at the intended frequency. Leaving the CPU half of whose hearts is disabled and who, moreover, are limited in frequency, AMD can recycle a maximum of dies defective and limit the damage financially.

However, such a situation is not sustainable in the medium term. The Wow Effect AMD seeks to create with its most muscular Ryzen chip can not hide that time the disappointing performance of the rest of the range (if the frequencies are evolving more by launch). The end of the NDA and the release of the first official tests in the press will give a foretaste of the situation: if AMD just sampler journalists only with its chip 8C / 16T at 3.6 / 4.0 GHz, forgetting the 4C declinations, There will be a wolf. Then, if the problems are proven, they can significantly impact the bulk availability of the chip ... or cause a much higher price than expected. AMD unfortunately has little latitude on production since it no longer has manufacturing plants. However, it remains a last resort: leaving Globalfoundries. Strange coincidence, AMD is precisely in the process of negotiating with ... Samsung.

I thought 7700K is the flagship but there will be higher clocked Kaby Lake CPUs on the way depend how good Ryzen will be in games benchmarks when Intel read all reviews and yet to make final decision whether or not to launch higher clocked 7740K and 7640K CPUs possible on new improved stepping to replace 7700K and 7600K CPUs at same price points.

Guess it good thing I not bought Kaby Lake 7700K yet so I will give it until April to see who is the winner in games benchmarks and also to find out whether or not I can watch Netflix 4K and playback Ultra HD Blu-ray with Ryzen CPU when Cyberlink PowerDVD 17 will launch in April.

I don't know why Intel chose to name it 7740K and 7640K, Intel should name it 7790K and 7690K instead. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
i5 with hyperthreading? So only two cores have hyper threading or something otherwise its just a i7 with a different L3 cache and clock speeds.

Caporegime
What's the point in a 100mhz overclock on the 7700K? and rather than giving i5 Hyperthreading why not just drop the price of the 7700K? it seems like they're just offering a lower end competitor to AMD (i5 w/HT) and hoping people are still silly enough to buy 'flagship' i7's.

Don
Bingo - just need them to announce a 6 core 12 thread emergency edition and then I'm almost golden with this prediction from October :D

Wishful thinking no doubt, but could it open up the way for consumer i7's to be 6 core?

Celeron - 2 Cores, 2 Threads
Pentium - 2 Cores, 4 Threads
i3 - 4 Cores - 4 Threads
i5 - 4 Cores - 8 Threads
i7 - 6 Cores - 12 Threads?

Soldato
I don't know why Intel chose to name it 7740K and 7640K, Intel should name it 7790K and 7690K instead. :p

Gives them more wriggle room to release even more premium SKUs. 7770K at 4.8 GHz, anyone? :D

Bingo - just need them to announce a 6 core 12 thread emergency edition and then I'm almost golden with this prediction from October :D
They pretty much already announced the 6c/12t mainstream Core i7s but they're not coming until Coffee Lake. The way the cores are made I don't think they can just bundle one out the door before then.

IMO the best thing about this news is that Intel are considering Ryzen somewhat of a threat. However, I'm pretty sure the whole "Core i5 with HT" talk isn't confirmed yet.

Last edited:
Soldato

6 core mainstream part is due to arrive early 2018, codename Coffeelake. This has been known for many months, due to Intel releasing their roadmap well ahead of time.

Whether or not they'll decide to accelerate Coffeelake's launch due to Ryzen remains to be seeen.

Soldato
We so need 'Intel v AMD' chip wars. My only real concern is AMD should likely price their chips inline with intels chips (performance = price). I prey AMD come in at a lower price point and whip intels arse and force 'the 2017 cpu price war'. I'm fed up with intels cpu pricing (nvidia gpu's aswell) New faster Kaby Lakes so close to just released ones shows Intel are a bit worried.

Don
6 core mainstream part is due to arrive early 2018, codename Coffeelake. This has been known for many months, due to Intel releasing their roadmap well ahead of time.

Whether or not they'll decide to accelerate Coffeelake's launch due to Ryzen remains to be seeen.

The Intel of old would have found a way to shoehorn a Skylake-E 6-core die onto a 1151 package :D

Associate
We so need 'Intel v AMD' chip wars. My only real concern is AMD should likely price their chips inline with intels chips (performance = price). I prey AMD come in at a lower price point and whip intels arse and force 'the 2017 cpu price war'. I'm fed up with intels cpu pricing (nvidia gpu's aswell) New faster Kaby Lakes so close to just released ones shows Intel are a bit worried.

AMD cannot be too agressive on price even if they are able to, they want to compete with intel not go to war with them, AMD doesnt have the resources for that.
and seriously what's the point of selling at low margins, when ppl would still go to competition.

Associate
i5 with ht, guess thats either 2 extra ht cores, or some other limitation OR....

Someone important had a conversation with a normal person, who actually understood the naming scheme, and the sheer horror of that being possible, hes paniced into making a odd choice to make things more complex.

There isnt much point in same feature k processors at different stock speeds as they should be overclocked anyways, so stock speed doesnt really matter

Back
Top Bottom