• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to possibly announce even more impressive chip than 7980XE at Computex

Soldato
Engadget did an interview with Gregory Bryant who is general manager of intel client computing group. In the interview Gregory discussed and outlined some of the strategy and his vision for the future of computing which he would be presenting at computex.

http://www.engadget.com/amp/2018/06/01/intel-computex-2018-preview/

However one thing stood out from the article possibly regarding the next hedt flagship chip:

"While he couldn't get into specifics, Bryant said we can expect an even more impressive chip announcement than last year's 18-core."

Could we expect the next hedt flagship cpu to have even moarrr cores!!!:o.

I wonder what would be the implications for socket 2066 . Would it be able to hold such 'powerful cpu' or would intel introduce the ultra hedt socket in the form of their current purley platform socket 3647 as rumoured.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I think the prospect of 7nm 24 core zen 2 threadripper in 2019 has definitely spooked them. Given their current troubles with 10nm it wouldn't be surprising if intel goes all out on hedt too.

Soldato
OP
I could see them adapting a 22 core Xeon - but not much else tbh

The thing is that 22 core and upwards can only be found on the xcc die which iirc is around 698mm square. I don't think it would fit on 2066 pcb as the 7980xe die around 480mm square just fits with not much further room.

They would have to use larger socket than 2066 to go beyond 18 cores on current 14nm.

Back
Top Bottom